• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra on Linux

[TW]schneidzekk

Machete Engineering.
Staff member
Oct 10, 2005
ATL
www.tripwireinteractive.com
RO_Linux.png

Yes, we're happy to tell you that Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 is now on its way into the Steam Linux Beta. For those of you wanting to try it out, if you aren't already in the Linux Beta, we hear they will be expanding it soon. We'll be rolling Killing Floor out fully when Steam goes live with the Linux Client. And we will be adding Killing Floor and Dwarfs!? if all goes to plan, as well!

For those with access to the Steam beta, we'd like to hear your feedback, bugs, issues or anything else.

It's a really bittersweet announcement. I skipped buying RO:Ostfront because it lacked Linux support. It was a tough decision because I was enthralled by the UT2k4 mod (RO:CA), extremely happy for Tripwire when the won the Make Something Unreal contest, and deeply disappointed when the commercial offering was Windows only.

Now it's basically six years later, and the servers are going to be basically dead. I hope this will get some people playing it again. I'll likely purchase RO:O sometime in the near future (a note to the younger crowd: having a tight budget sucks), if for nothing else, to show my support that you were finally able to bring it to Linux.

I really hope (though it's likely in vain) that the previous troubles with porting UE3 to Linux can be overcome so RO2 can come to Linux as well.

In any case, I'm glad Tripwire is supporting Linux where they can.

Upvote 0
The Mac build is being worked on. We expect to have it ready in the near future.
This sounds familiar. Oh, yeah...
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1424010.html:
Yoshiro said:
09-22-2010, 05:49 AM
And hopefully you will have it [Red Orchestra for Mac] soon. I have a new build that I am testing, trying to fix up a few final issues before we send it out to our core community test team to pound on.
That was 2 years ago.

Upvote 0
Very nice! Better late than never ;) This comes very convenient as I am building a Linux setup from scratch, one additional program which I don't have to fiddle with fonts and run in emulators? Who am I kidding, I love fiddling. I actually tried to run RO:O on Ubuntu 8.10 about 4 years ago, with much help from linux.gitano I got it to work :cool:

Upvote 0
There are people playing pretty regularly. Not huge, but you can get games and I may be imagining it but I swear the numbers are growing slightly.

Also, Linux gamers have a slightly more relaxed view of state of the art; I think when Steam is officially released (and the Mac version comes) I suspect there will be a notable bump in players.

Also, RoOst is still unique.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are people playing pretty regularly. Not huge, but you can get games and I may be imagining it but I swear the numbers are growing slightly.

Also, Linux gamers have a slightly more relaxed view of state of the art; I think when Steam is officially released (and the Mac version comes) I suspect there will be a notable bump in players.

Also, RoOst is still unique.

Hehe, yeah. Well i can only speak for myself, but to me always gameplay and general game art/ feel counted more to adopt a game than rather the latest cutting edge in game engines and high-polyness. Nothing to say against the latter, of course... ;)

Hell, i even play W:ET from time to time ... :D Even though it's really getting old, it's still a fun game to play.

But speaking about RO:OST i think it still does look very beautiful to me, on most maps. Add to this the good performance even on older hardware, great gameplay and the tons of content available... it could still be a burner.

Well, i hope that it gets adopted by new crowds on new platforms pretty well, though one simply cannot expect it to be that kind of burner anymore. It always has been and at always will be a kinda "niche" game for most players, but this doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Bottom line: I could see a small but dedicated crowd keeping it alive and having fun with it for quite a time :)

Cheers,
gitano

Upvote 0
starting mods DH and MN

starting mods DH and MN

Just bought the game and I am enjoying playing under Linux. I just wish the performance were a bit better. Anyway, I was wondering how to start the mods DH and MN. Under the Linux Steam beta they show up as not support by my operating system. These are just mods, right? How can I start them from the Steam library entries?

Upvote 0
Hey TheRoot, welcome to the RO:OST community :)

As for the mods, they currently don't have steamworks integration for Steam on Linux, something which TWI is working on:

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=85663

You're right, they're standalone mods which can be launched the standard way for ut2k4 based games with the -mod switch like:

Code:
./redorchestra-bin -mod="ModName" (DarkestHour or MareNostrum)

or within Steam by right-klicking on RO -> properties -> custom start options. This way u can actually get inside the multiplayer menu and play on LAN.

Of course u need to download the mods first, either through Steam for Windows or externally (can't find a mirror atm, so Steam for Windows it is, as it seems).
Online play is not possible this way, but you can have a look and play offline. Both standalone mods ran pretty fine for me so far on Linux, excpet the few glitches RO:OST on Linux still has (sniper scope, motion blur, look here: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=85291)

Not to forget there are still two excellent addons/ mods available, which get played from time to time (usually during fightnights):

Carpathian Crosses (featuring the Romanian army):

http://redorchestra.panzerdivision-frundsberg.de/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=23

Revenge Of The Turul (featuring the Hungarian army):

http://redorchestra.panzerdivision-frundsberg.de/dload.php?action=category&cat_id=41

Both of these mods run within stock RO, so u just have to put them in the RO install folder and join a map or server.

cheers,
gitano

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks Gitano. I have now tried DH and MN. I have been trying to get familiar with the game by playing single player (plus I am on travel and the internet connection is terrible), but the bots seem worthless on the mods. I think that MN and DH downloaded with Ostfront under linux. However, there is no 'play' button, and it says they are not for my platform. I will try the other addons you suggest.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0