• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra on Linux

The odds of these being addressed are very slim. Ostfront is not an actively supported project here (the dev team has moved on to other projects internally) as it does not make us enough money to task devs to work on it.

We will likely only fix critical errors (game crashing all of a sudden) and things like that.

Upvote 0
The odds of these being addressed are very slim. Ostfront is not an actively supported project here (the dev team has moved on to other projects internally) as it does not make us enough money to task devs to work on it.

We will likely only fix critical errors (game crashing all of a sudden) and things like that.

Ah, very well. Thanks for the response!

However is it possible to give the task to modders or some of the more experienced users? Surely it might take some time, but shouldn't be too hard I suppose... Definately a better alternative to spending TWI's resources.

Upvote 0
Ah, very well. Thanks for the response!

However is it possible to give the task to modders or some of the more experienced users? Surely it might take some time, but shouldn't be too hard I suppose... Definately a better alternative to spending TWI's resources.

Modders can't have access to the source files where steam integration happens :(

Upvote 0

We would gladly move to the other projects you are still actively supporting, if you would kindly give them to us. Us Linux users that is. *hinthint* ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello,

Since this update the RO editor has been broken. This is the error message:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3240 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1422)

General protection fault!

History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- FLineBatcher::Flush <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw3DAxis <- UUnrealEdEngine::DrawAxisIndicator <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=U2Viewport1,Flags=871270089 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WViewportFrame::OnSize <- WViewportFrame::SetViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenFrameViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenWindow <- WEditorFrame::OpenLevelView <- FALVoiceModule::NoteDestroy <- UALAudioSubsystem::NoteDetroy <- ULevel::DestroyActor <- (Camera myLevel.Camera0) <- UPlayer::Destroy <- UViewport::Destroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsViewport::Destroy <- UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- UEditorEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I know that it was this update as I have an earlier version of RO and its editor on another harddrive that runs outside of Steam and is a least 2yrs old and this one still works. But the current Steam version of the editor no longer works.

Thanks

Alan

Upvote 0
Hello,

Since this update the RO editor has been broken. This is the error message:

Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: GenuineIntel PentiumPro-class processor @ 3240 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (1422)

General protection fault!

History: FD3DDynamicVertexStream::AddVertices <- FD3DRenderInterface::SetDynamicStream <- FLineBatcher::Flush <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw3DAxis <- UUnrealEdEngine::DrawAxisIndicator <- UUnrealEdEngine::Draw <- (Cam=U2Viewport1,Flags=871270089 <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- WViewportFrame::OnSize <- WViewportFrame::SetViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenFrameViewport <- WLevelFrame::OpenWindow <- WEditorFrame::OpenLevelView <- FALVoiceModule::NoteDestroy <- UALAudioSubsystem::NoteDetroy <- ULevel::DestroyActor <- (Camera myLevel.Camera0) <- UPlayer::Destroy <- UViewport::Destroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsViewport::Destroy <- UObject::ConditionalDestroy <- (WindowsViewport Package.WindowsClient0.TerrainHeightmap) <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- UEditorEngine::Tick <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop

I know that it was this update as I have an earlier version of RO and its editor on another harddrive that runs outside of Steam and is a least 2yrs old and this one still works. But the current Steam version of the editor no longer works.

Thanks

Alan

I have also spied some crashes.

Upvote 0
Hello,

Well in the last few months and roughly at the same time as the Linux RO update the RO editor stopped working, not just for me but for everyone that I know that mods, when you start it from Steam in the normal way it crashes on startup and displays the GPF messages as shown in the above discussion.

I hope that now you are aware of this problem that you can get it fixed.

At the moment the hard core modders work around the problem by using an old install of RO where the attached editor still starts up.

Also what now happens is that sometimes you make a change to an existing map, build it, save it and put it on the server and it runs however for some reason no one is able to join the map. This problem started also at about the same time as the Linux update to RO.

Modding and making maps is getting really challenging at the moment due to these operational problems and it was never easy.

I would guess that even though the editor files my not have changed in the last 4yrs that some of the game files that the editor uses have been changed and no longer work together properly, and this causes the start up crash.

Suggest that you try starting the RO editor up yourself in a normal install of RO, the RO editor and via Steam and see what happens.

Thanks

Alan

Upvote 0
Any news on this Yoshiro?

There are loads of posts all over the place about this and nothing appears to have been done about it. Please put some pressure on the team to allocate some time to it.

It's got to be something to do with the Linux update all was well until then!

Here are a few links

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=88593[/URL]

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=95016[/URL]

Some log info

[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=95005[/URL]

Hope it helps

Upvote 0