• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steam Distribution For Red Orchestra

I used to play UT2k4 and when I downloaded the RO mod during the contest it was the best WW2 FPS I ever played. It was perfectly balanced and didnt have any of that single player crap. Single player is for the birds. Multiplayer is where its at, and thats where this game shined. Im glad to see it ported to steam and I think that is a very smart choice. The graphics and game engine is just overall better than the Unreal engine. I like Epic and theyre a great company, but Valve just has more to offer.

Please take a good look at the game market and listen to everyone in your company with a voice on it. The price of your game, in this day and age, will either make or break you. You will always have those fans that will always flock to you no matter what, but you want to target everyone. If CSS was 40 bucks, or never came free with HalfLife2, alot less people wouldve played it. But instead you see alot of other people from other games, like myself, who come to play the great game they heard about. Another thing to keep in mind is that, over time, the price of your game in the stores is going to go down as time passes. By keeping it relatively lower than the standard, its going to remain at that price longer. For an example I bought WC3, back in the day, for around 30 bucks and when I went back a year later it was still at that price at my store, while other games dropped to 20 or 10. You already know you have the popularity to fuel something of that caliber. At least I think you do. I got rid of UT2k4 to play other games, and almost considered buying it again just for RO.

Not everyone has that kind of money to dish out. The majority doesnt buy eat sleep crap and live games. Thats who you want to target.

Good luck... and to you other doubters and haters out there... RO IS TEH WIN. <- Period

Last edited:
Upvote 0
. Im glad to see it ported to steam and I think that is a very smart choice. The graphics and game engine is just overall better than the Unreal engine. I like Epic and theyre a great company, but Valve just has more to offer.

I hope you won't get disapointed, there is no such thing as a steam/valve engine.
RO will be on its own unreal engine

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Heard somewhere that Tripwire won a PC Unreal Engine License only. They don't get Mac or Linux clients.

If this is true, then the complaints about no Mac or Linux support because of Steam is kind of a moot point.
Anyone know if this is true? I would have thought the license wouldn't have that restriction and that most (all) the engine would be cross platform too.

Postal 2 uses a bought UT2 license and has both Mac and Linux clients afaik.

Upvote 0
Kittles said:
Anyone know if this is true? I would have thought the license wouldn't have that restriction and that most (all) the engine would be cross platform too.

Postal 2 uses a bought UT2 license and has both Mac and Linux clients afaik.

The problem is not the engine, but the Steam distribution. There are no mac/linux clients for it...

Upvote 0
[-project.rattus-] said:
The problem is not the engine, but the Steam distribution. There are no mac/linux clients for it...

So if by some stroke of God type luck that Steam ever makes a Linux and Mac client, would RO:O have support for those two platforms? If/until them I'm going to be mostly ROless unless some still play v3.3...

Maybe us Linux/Mac users could just organize times to play v3.3

Upvote 0
radix said:
I think the problem is not only steam. The RO:O engine + stuff should be also compiled/linked/ported to linux/Mac.
So they'd have to port about 5% of the code and compile/link about the rest? If most of the code is ANSI/ISO it wouldn't be a problem anyways. Then if the rest uses OGL and OAL then they're down to under 1% of code that would be any problem at all. So where's the problem? The numbers may be a bit exaggerated but I would be surprised if the majority of the code they have already doesn't "just work." Unless they did some really screwy things, used windows libraries, or for whatever reason ditched most all OGL and OAL code for Directx that shouldn't be a problem.

edit
SasQuatch said:
Ports need to be made. They dont just magically happen while recompiling a windows version of your game :)
If coded correctly it doesn't take much

Upvote 0
SasQuatch said:
Ports need to be made. They dont just magically happen while recompiling a windows version of your game :)

No pointing with the Macintosh iWand(tm) and saying: "Hocus pocus, be an apple!"? I am desillusionated right now. :(

But I assume if Steam publishes a Linux/Mac-version, the effort for the RO tam to convert would not be that large a task ;)

Upvote 0
Kittles said:
So they'd have to port about 5% of the code and compile/link about the rest? If most of the code is ANSI/ISO it wouldn't be a problem anyways. Then if the rest uses OGL and OAL then they're down to under 1% of code that would be any problem at all. So where's the problem? The numbers may be a bit exaggerated but I would be surprised if the majority of the code they have already doesn't "just work." Unless they did some really screwy things, used windows libraries, or for whatever reason ditched most all OGL and OAL code for Directx that shouldn't be a problem.

edit
If coded correctly it doesn't take much

Discalimer :) : i never seen the UE 2* code.

I don't think the UE is written in an ANSI/ISO manner cause this is a trade of performance to portability, but I can be wrong. (using native OS libraries (win, lnx, mac) can give you a performance boost (sys threads, sys mem managers, sys proc comm aso)).

The porting process is not just recompilig the code. It is a circle wich theoretically is never ending :) coding -> compilig -> testing ->coding -> compiling -> testing -> aso. wich require time.

Upvote 0
szlend said:
I suggest you don't release it via Steam. VALVe is just a money
hungry company. I wouldn't like to see Red Orchestra on Steam becose
their security sucks. Just look at this:blocked . The forum is full of cracked steam clients. WIth them people can connect to Steam, download and play online any of the games released via Steam. Red Orchestra would be much better if it would be released on it's own or stay as a UT2004 modification. Well sure Steam it self is good. Fast servers, auto updates, chat, server browser. But if you look more detaily at it VALVe even bans some legal account which they think that they are illagal but have no proof. You should see the mad people all over the Anti Steam forums.

P.S. Don't flame me if you don't agree with me. I have a right to my own option
I don't think there's a current alternative to Steam's digital distribution system that would be right for Red Orchestra. Any traditional publishers such as EA wouldn't dare take on such a game as it's not you're average first person shooter, it's not a tried and tested cash cow like for example - Call of Duty. By using Steam to sell Red Orchestra, the publisher has no say in what goes in the game, and ultimately Tripwire are free to make the game they want, a luxury a lot of developers don't have.

As for keeping Red Orchestra a modification, well that would be just going backwards.

Edit - lol...nevermind then.

Upvote 0