• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Darkest Hour: Normandy 1944

lols aneas, .. wow i have to say to all the regular readers of this thread; i have this sneeking suspicion, that aneas is either 1 of 2 things. 1 a robot, or 2 one of the TWI guys who created himself a new name, so he can go and help people in mods while not being an official TWI presence there.

why, because this guy is the hardest worker i have EVER seen in a mod team, the average time to skin something might be days, he did the m1 garand in a matter of HOURS. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: , yes this guy is really a workaholic, so in the pubbie area i really gotta pass it to him, hes a kickass guy to have on the team, and he works like a horse. (and hes a cool guy :p )

edit: then again i cant completely say that, we also have some other wonderfull behind the scenes people in DH now, whos work is A+++++++++++++++++++.

Upvote 0
Thorpy, if you have to concentrate on learning one skill, make it animation. It's probably the hardest but if you get even half-good at it all the mods and dev teams will shower you with work, praise, riches, offers to have your babies etc. etc.

Yes m8 im looking into it - seems to be a lack of animators around here

So might aswell try and make an effort :eek:

Upvote 0
I've installed Gmax, help and tutorial stuff now and will get on doing this tomorrow... Seems really fun, but complicated. And if I get far doing this... Erm... Is there any age limits on mods and that kind of things :eek: ?

And so I'm not getting in wrong thing... What's hardest? 2d works or animation and 3d works?

Upvote 0
And so I'm not getting in wrong thing... What's hardest? 2d works or animation and 3d works?
Some people say 3d is the hardest, other think 2d is more complicated.
Personnaly, I started learning modeling with GMAX some time(2 or 3 years ago), but stopped it after some time(wanted to become a modder for C&C Generals, but...don't know). I would say, modelling isn't so hard, I did not come very far, but there are masses of good tutorials.
2d - I never really tried it, but I always found it very hard when I wanted to do even a simple texture for a model...
But, wether they like 2d or 3d - most people say that animating would be the hardest of those three things.
I started learning to use Blender a short time ago, and what I experienced towards animating wasn't so hard - but I only had very easy models, so, when it would become more complicated...but it would be nice to have another animator in the RO community. Actually, the one we have till today is already very busy...

Upvote 0
3d : very easy, you need to follow lines, plenty of excellent tutorial

2d : harder, need to have a artist perception, not a lot of really good tutorial, the skinner community is very close compared to the 3d modeler. It is harder to get a good result.
:D that's why i'm using modelling tips (shadow map) to skin

Code: more or less easy, you need to follow coding steps, but if you want to create your own piece of code, it will be harder of course ...

Upvote 0