• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics PTR as a sniper rifle?

komet

Grizzled Veteran
May 27, 2006
I've had some good success against the Germans with this in the Basokova Tank map. With the close proximity of combat it works well if you're concealed. In the Barashaka map, it would be interesting to have a simple 4x scope on it since the ranges are greater and more difficult with the iron sight. Otherwise, it's still possible to compensate. I do find it somewhat more accurate with a larger caliber as opposed to the smaller, standard caliber shells.

The 14.5 mm round has a true stabilized trajectory for several dozen yards. That is, the pitch and yawl on the smaller calibers happens much sooner. Just place your target immediately above the center tip of the PTRD's ironsight and you should make a hit everytime. This works even as the target is moving since the heavier round will move faster at short to mid range. I've had trouble with the standard sniper rifles hitting moving targets but not with the PTRD.

Upvote 0
As far as I know it's impossible to fit a scope to PTRD, because its external parts move back to damp recoil. On the other hand, theoretically it can be done with semi-automatic PTRS. Never saw any examples though...

PTRS.jpg

Upvote 0
I've heard stories about how every one's favourite sniper Vassili Zaitsev was a little unimpressed with the standard 7.62 round and decided to have a scope mounted to a ptrd. He then go annoyed with the ammo producers because the powder load changed from round to round and he couldn't get any real decent accuracy beyond 800 meters. IIRC it was especially used for taking out mg's in bunkers.

Upvote 0
Silky_Slim said:
I often get kills against gemran pak soldats on arad. in the NV radio house, ive hit a sprinting german who was past the SV chruch. i find it extremely accurate and effective, although i hardly use it against tanks, APC's are good targets, and when you disable em you have a bunch of infantry to shoot.:p
I actually have more trouble taking out Half-tracks then I do tanks at times. Hit a tank in the ammo stores and it's gone. It takes me several shots to disable a half track though.

Upvote 0
Bolt said:
Anti-tank rifles were used to shoot germans during the war. I don't remember, which rifle was it - PTRS or PTRD, but i sure remember reading that they were used as anti-sniper weapon quite often.

Point one of my post was that Dheepan sounded like he wanted a scoped 14.5mm rifle in RO:O..

Anything with that much range and firepower would make a decent anti-sniper weapon, since there's nothing that's going to make good cover against it (except sandbags/berms, and not for long in some cases...) A PTRD/PTRS, like .50 BMG, is going to go through pretty much any un-fortified or lightly-fortified structure and barely slow down.

Brick walls will keep 54R or 8mm Mauser outside (for a while). They wouldn't keep 14.5mm out, though.

Upvote 0
It should make a horrible sniper rifle because it has a massive flash. When firing at a tank its easier to stay concealed. Snipers don't really want a big flash when shooting infantry as they don't have a bunch of armor blocking their vision and will easily determine where you are firing from. In RO:Ost they need to make the flash more pronounced in my opinion.

Upvote 0
A well-designed flash suppressor will considerably dampen muzzle flash to an acceptable level. The PTRD appears to have such.
The Polish-made "Marosczek" 2cm AT rifle was used with good success against some Allied armor. The Germans did fit it with a scope in 1944 to use against infantry. It proved it self well. And it was heavy enough to absorb any recoil which would have interfered with the scope mounts and adjustments. It would be nice to see it in RO as it was used mainly against the Russians.
If the Panzer IVF's had armor skirting on their hulls and turrets, this would help to diminish the PTRD's effect on them.

Upvote 0