• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics G43 Sniper - Whats with this gun??!!

silent assassin

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 27, 2007
Until recently i have been under the impression the g43 is crummy for pin point accuracy. This simply isnt true. For example, i played odessa again last night & decided to use the g43. For the first few minutes, i cant hit much but while the germans fall back to the second line, i start opening up on russians from my hidey hole & get into a one shot one kill scenario. By the end of the game i havent been killed apart from being naded once or twice when i got too close. One of my friends beleives the x-hair to be misaligned about 3mm below the tip of the point but im not sure this is the case.

Anyone care to shed some light as to how to really use this gun?

p.s I beleive you have to be on a server with 100ping or less to be able to use it.

Well it shoots under where you point because it has much more bullet drop than it should have causeing the round to sink unrealistically quicker than an very similar performing rifle (Ge41) than it should the randomness part is probably attributed to its spread which is higher than most other rifles but yeah its accuracy seems ok just the fact the bullet drops like a rock when it leaves the rifle.

There was a thread that explained this better:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23588http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=385020

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I've noticed that hitting with this is damn difficult for whatever reasons. I always pick Kar98, and IMO sniper should always stay so far behind that semiauto would be too inaccurate anyway. What's the point sniping at medium and short ranges when you can do that much better with normal sights, that's just wasting a potentially valuable class, sniper should be "unfair" and kill people at distances they can't touch him.

Upvote 0
G-43 and all other german semi-auto sniper rifles suck

G-43 and all other german semi-auto sniper rifles suck

The Germans tried to develope a good semi-auto rifle during the 2ndWW but failed. Their aspirations started after being confronted with the Russian SVT which is a very good semi-auto rifle.

The german rifles are crap but completely usefull in RO. To the people saying that its a waist to use sniper class as close/midrange thats bull! The increased accuracy per shot is often devastating. When I pick the sniper class in either Odessa or Danzig I end up dominating the opposition. I don't lay back but attack and with increased pershot efficiency I can take out 5 to 9 guys at a time sometimes completely clearing out defending german positions. The sniper class in these maps are the best for offensive action. My points speak for themselves at the end of a game I usually end up having twice the ammount of points as the next under me...

Upvote 0
The Germans tried to develope a good semi-auto rifle during the 2ndWW but failed. Their aspirations started after being confronted with the Russian SVT which is a very good semi-auto rifle.

The Ge-41(W- the one in game and the one used in ww2) was a good semi-auto rifle very accurate and deadly its reliablity mostly tainted its reputation and its conterpart Ge-41(M) which was the failed semi-auto rifle. The Ge-43 was nothing more than a simplified verison of the Ge-41 retaining its accuracy but also having very good reliablity it was one of the best semi-autos of the war. The Svt-40/38 however was not a good semi-auto rifle at all. It suffered from numerious problems issues that were never fixed which led to its cancelation (due to all of its problems and complaints from Russian soldiers). It only reappeared later due to weapon shortages so production was switched back to the Svt-40 then quickly stopped before the war's end.
Odessa or Danzig
Are close range fights especially RO-Danzig on RO-Odessa mnay of the engagements tank place at close range even though the maps is a bigger stock map but even so its noticeable there too the gun must be pointed upward to hit an enemy that is only about 50-70 meters away that is not due to accuracy but to bullet drop. Which is too much on the Ge-43 it actually should be the same as on the Ge-41.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only fault in the game with the g41 is that i cant reload one clip at a time, apart from that & getting used to the clunky x-hair the g41 is by far the best semi in the game. But yeah, why would Germany make another rifle that would replace it & be worse??

Was the g43 better than the garand does anybody know? I'd look up on wikipedia but i dont think thats accurate.

Upvote 0
or vladislav's ppsh hipshot from 400 meters!

anyway, all i know is that whatever team i am on, when i don't have a stg44 and i see a svt, g41 an g43 on the ground, i will always pick up the g41. i would also kill for an svt, it feels like the best all round soviet weapon in-game. wich i suppose is not true to reality.

the g41 is one of the few weapons in RO that manage to bring over the illusion of really firing a gun when you shoot it ingame, maybe it's the sound or the violent but limited recoil that brings that illusion.

Upvote 0
The only fault in the game with the g41 is that i cant reload one clip at a time, apart from that & getting used to the clunky x-hair the g41 is by far the best semi in the game. But yeah, why would Germany make another rifle that would replace it & be worse??

Was the g43 better than the garand does anybody know? I'd look up on wikipedia but i dont think thats accurate.

Let's get this straight. The G-41 was not a good military semi-auto rifle. Although it may have been a very accurate weapon, it's mechanism (which worked in light machine guns, but not so much in semi automatic rifles) was prone to jamming and malfunctioning, the weapon was heavy and well production wasn't that simple. So military-wise that weapon was a load of crap. G-43 on the other hand was not that bad, being more lightweight and reliable. Also the optical aiming device they developed for G-43 was excellent: small, lightweight and durable. That thing was so much ahead of its time.

Upvote 0
The g41 was and is a magnificent rifle & the devs did a fantastic job in representing this in-game!

What you cant represent is the wear & tear or dirt build up leading to jamming. Its a pointless waste of time really as ALL weapons are prone to jamming if ill maintained!

But in the grand scheme of things, the g-41 AND g-43 were rare weaponss so saying the g43 was vastly superior therefore more were used is irrelevant!

As far as the g43 sniper is concerned, I see no problem. If you're used to its slight inaccuracy when firing, then this weapon is a complete beast and I find it too easy sometimes as targets go down quite easily in RO cos theres no hit point system like say DoD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i find the g43 works on some levels & is useless on others. ie odessa i can mow everyone down pretty quickly, 1 or 2 shots each. But danzig it takes me loads of shots to actually zero in.

I think there were two g41 types made, one design submitted by mauser, one submitted by walther. When tried in field tests one was ditched, & you end up with standard issue g41 (Mauser or walther, cant remember) in the game where its only problem was jamming etc because it had too many moving parts that would freeze together in the russian winter & become jammed by dirt etc.

So the one that was discarded is the bad one we generally think of. You gotta remember that germany didnt have just 1 company manufacturing & developing weapons, there was loads just like aircraft manufacture ie messerschmitt, dornier, focke wulf etc. So when okw want a new weapon, they would lay down what they wanted on paper, then have 3 or 4 rival companies develop it. Companies in competition with each other are more likely to deliver better products because they cant all win the contract, only 1 company can - basic capitalism, it exists everywhere, whether you live in usa, uk or north korea.

Upvote 0