• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Tanks fot the memories..... noob help needed.

123_ynb

Jun 22, 2007
Hi all,
Me and my good friend Tetsu have been TOTALLY enjoying coop tanking... it's amazing!

We have:
1) Developed a good driver/gunner system of spotting targets - "Enemy, tank, 1 o'clock, medium range'

2) Work good fire and movement and really try to use cover and concealment

3) Deal well with infantry and use our tank in a supportive and team playing fashion

4) Almost always spot and fire first on enemy tanks

HOWEVER.....
WE ALL WAYS SEEM TO BE KNOCKED OUT FIRST!!!!!

A case in point - a one shot kill from a T-34 and approx 400 meters kills us in a panther... when we shoot into the EXTERNAL fuel tank of a T-34 at sub 50m TWICE to no visible effect!

We are tearing our hair out - obv concessions are made for game play but it just feels like we are missing something obv that EVERYONE else seems to know :(

we are doing things like keeping the most armoured portion of the tank facing towards the enemy and I do aim for what should be the most vunerable areas......

Any tips much appreciated.
Y

The reason you probably get knocked out first is due to incorrectly angling your tank. When incoming projectiles hit your armor at a certain angle, they have a higher chance of deflecting.

When correctly angling your Panther, there's is no way you will get knocked out first against a T-34/85. You'll probably survive very long actually, unless you're heavily outnumbered and getting flanked.

Team tanking with a friend/clanmate absolutely rules in RO. It's very important to have an effective driver who knows how to keep the tank angled correctly all the time, between shots while the gunner reloads. Learn how to angle effectively and you and your friend will rule the battlefield... :D

Upvote 0
Heyoo 123, I think I've seen you & Tetsu on Debrechen?

Getting the right feel for angling is key, that takes practice cuz different tanks just feel different you have to stop at an angle, then aim & calculate range.

But an newer players team tanking, when you face off w/ enemy-make sure to move forward/backwards w/ the 45 angle. Speeding up & slowing down is effective too (drives me nuts when I'm shooting at t34's 800 meters + away that do that).

Against tigers: zig zag & get close to em. :cool:

Good Luck!

Upvote 0
As people say, don't go front-on against heavily-armoured enemies :)

Use the ground to best effect - the commander can see a long way when out the top of the turret, possibly with the whole tank hidden behind a ridge. Look to flank the heavier enemy tanks, look for where their gun is pointng (the Tiger's turret traverse is pretty slow).

You'll often find Panthers and Tigers standing there, daring the Russkies to come at them. So flank them and take side shots. Also drop artillery on them - that'll move them, too!

Surprisingly, stealth counts (interesting concept in a 45-ton tank) - but when you're inside another tank, you really can't locate the enemy by sound alone :)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the info guys. We have been using our heads on this one. We did see a significant improvement in our survival time and actually really helped win some maps!

You did see us on Debrechen 2fisted! But I play under the name Hal 9000. 123_YNB is my IL2 squad name that I registered on the forums with. On that note is there any way to changer my name to HAL 9000?

Cheers for the help guys.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have seen the light! :)
Me and Tetsu just cleaned up BIG TIME Debrechen - I finished with a score of 85 and Tet had a score 75 twice as high as the next Red and 4 times higher than the leading blue.

Loads of top driving and one shot kills, ace use of cover, lots of capping and I used the public voice channel to talk lots of the other red players and we OWNED due to bold play and team work because once one person starts talking it sort of breaks the ice.

AWESOME - I love this game.

Upvote 0

also you said you were shooting at the external fuel tanks, ye, it doesnt do anything if u hit them, ur better off when the enemy tank fires to get your driver to swing around so you get a nice 90 degree shot, then keep swinging round making sure you angle your tank correctly with timing on roughly how long it will take him to reload, me and friend have perfected this and are currently working on firing on the move

Upvote 0