• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics An actual, honest-to-God use for bots

Commiekazi

Oct 18, 2007
I've been pulling a dirty little trick on the Arad maps when I log on and see everyone just sitting in their favorite spots and long-range gunning.

Most of the maps have the bots dumbed down to the point that they'll just stand idly in spawn. So I'll log on as Squad Leader, issue the command "Follow me!", and my Universal Carrier full of bots and I will almost immediately cap every zone we drive through, usually without even needing to slow down.

Most of the time, the "pill-box sniper" tankers never catch on. They just keep typing "WTF?" as the map keeps rotating every minute, and they check their scores to find that every lousy Otto or Chakan is outscoring them by dozens. Disconnections are common - I've even cleared servers of eight or ten guys who couldn't figure it out.

Nice idea, although clearing out servers isn't anything to be proud of.

Yeah, I know - like I said, it's a dirty trick. But it's frustrating to try to play in a realistic team-tactics manner with guys who just won't move; and most of the time, they're sitting a few yards out of spawn with all the map's Panthers or IS2s, with their rangefinders set at 1000 m. If you're going to do that, why not just play Lubjankow-Scheissbahn? At least that's a dedicated target-range that you're not supposed to move around and cap.

What I really love about this, other than the challenge of getting across the map in a UC without taking one, is that the "leet shooters" are all chest-thumping about their scores until they are suddenly at the bottom of the list and can't figure out why. I think they disconnect as much out of embarassment as the maddening frustration of not being able to fire a single shot before the round ends.

Upvote 0
Actually, I can think of one other time when bots in your vehicle are a good idea on Arad:

If enemy infantry have taken your village and your side has either no infantry or they just won't do their job, load your tank up with bots and drive through the village. You know how in practice that ol' Ramm will hipshoot you at a hundred yards and kill you with the first shot? He'll do that even better in the hull MG position. They may be completely incompetent at movement, but at close range they never miss and can't be hidden from. Plus, it's fun to then chide the other side about being "shot by a bot".

When you're done clearing the infantry, command "Get out!" and leave them to hold your village cap zone while you move on.

Upvote 0
Hahah that is so great during free trial weeks.
Endless rants of trialers on VoIP telling the bots what to do, then getting mad at them for not doing it :D Oh, i could listen to them for ages :D

Hey, I did that when I was a noob too:D. I didn't know how to put up the scoreboard and check for the difference, and I had never seen the name "Petr" listed before. So, I tried coordinating team-tactics with him over typed messaging for nearly two minutes!

Oh, the embarassment.

The best thing I ever learned was how to bind "Get out!" to a quick key. It changed my life:).

Upvote 0
The best thing I ever learned was how to bind "Get out!" to a quick key. It changed my life:).

"Get out" and "Follow me" are very useful when dealing with bots.

Another thing that sometimes work on inf maps:

Keep bots alive and together with "follow me" and "hold position".
Kill enemy bots and order your bots to attack.
Rush or flank the player reloading after slaying your bots. :cool:

Upvote 0
wow that's a pretty good tactic , if you like bots......
I've been pulling a dirty little trick on the Arad maps when I log on and see everyone just sitting in their favorite spots and long-range gunning.

Most of the maps have the bots dumbed down to the point that they'll just stand idly in spawn. So I'll log on as Squad Leader, issue the command "Follow me!", and my Universal Carrier full of bots and I will almost immediately cap every zone we drive through, usually without even needing to slow down.

Most of the time, the "pill-box sniper" tankers never catch on. They just keep typing "WTF?" as the map keeps rotating every minute, and they check their scores to find that every lousy Otto or Chakan is outscoring them by dozens. Disconnections are common - I've even cleared servers of eight or ten guys who couldn't figure it out.

Upvote 0