• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Trading Sniping notes.

murderous_eagle

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Hi there. I'm looking for all the proficient snipers out there to post up all the tips and tricks of the class. I'm hoping this becomes a good place for people to read up on how to use their class effectively, and not just be a rifleman with an easier to use weapon.

Weapon Selection:

I prefer the bolt action. It always hits exactly where it's pointed. The lack of speed isn't really an issue because, as a sniper, you shouldn't be touchable by others while you line up your second shot. The only time I pick the semi-auto is when I know I'll be needed in the front line with the assault, or if an attack is coming.

Cover: I prefer visibility over cover to a certain extent when I pick my location. My first choice is a window that looks over a broad range of the battlefield, but still has places I can duck into. I love having altitude because people are more visible while prone.

When I'm moving to a location I like and need to make a shot, I like to find it useful not to rest a weapon on top of a piece of cover (a derelict vehicle, fences, overturned furniture) but below it. You can still get the shot, but you will not expose your location as easily

Where to aim:
On stationary targets I find it best to aim for the space where their helmet ends and you can first see skin. At medium range, it's a headshot, and at very long range, you hit, at worst, their sternum... which is a kill shot.

So... put the very tip of your sniper sight on that location.

Target Priority:

I generally like to attack people in this order: Immediate threats to me, people call out for me to kill, snipers, mgs, people firing (you may save someone, plus they're often an easy shot because they're stationary), people with funny hats, and then others.

My moving rule:

The rule I follow when deciding when to move is:
After 3 shots they know where you are
After 10 there's someone trying to kill you for sure
After 15 there's someone behind you with an smg

You have to keep moving to keep the enemy guessing. Try to duck between locations, switch windows, or move 10 feet down the line.

One final note:

Learn to use your pistol, it is your friend.

By far, the greatest trick I've learned as a sniper is to maximize your distance from the front line as much as possible while still maintaining a good field of view. This keeps the normal riflemen off your back 90% of the time, as they're dealing with the front line assaulters and don't have time to look for you. Then you can keep an eye open for the enemy sniper, if he's smart enough to be hunting you.

There's nothing more infuriating to the other team than consistantly getting sniped as they approach the battle, getting killed before they're even at the front lines. As usual though, MGs, snipers, commanders, and other support troops take priority. Just don't ignore the targets of oppurtunity.

Oh, and always check out enemy tanks. You might get lucky if the driver/commander has thier head out. If it's a solo tanker, you just effectively destroyed a tank!

Upvote 0
This is the best advice you can get if you're playing a decent that knows the basics of anti-sniping roles.

Stay out of high buildings, and if you have to go inside one, do not stay too long. Never let your opponent aticipate where you are going to be.

Basically, do not pick positions where the enemy sniper will expect you to be.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that a sniper can also be a good rifleman without a scope.

By far, the greatest trick I've learned as a sniper is to maximize your distance from the front line as much as possible while still maintaining a good field of view.

He's right. A narrow firelane also helps. In fact, a narrow field of view is sometimes better than a wide one. The reason for this is because less people will see your muzzle flash.

Good spots to set up are:
  • Deep inside a dark building - not putting your barrel through the window. If you can, go prone on a table inside that room and shoot from there. Narrows your FOV, and you're less visible 'cause you're prone.
  • Outside of the usual playing area. Most people never look there. You're still within the map boundaries, but people will have a much harder time finding you. Not all maps give this kind of freedom, but some do (Hedgehog for example). Try not setting up in the obvious areas (Assembly hall roof in Stalingrad for example).
Because of your muzzle flash, it is important to relocate after every few shots. If you notice an enemy trying to get you, move to a slightly different place after you kill him. When he comes back, he will come looking for you in your old spot, allowing you to shoot him in the side.

On Kriegstadt, camouflage actually works. In some places, the surroundings match with the uniform. That is cool. (No, I'm not going to tell you the spots:p)

Upvote 0
Stay on the ground. They can't hunt you if you are constantly moving.

You are a high priority target if sniping..you will be hunted and your rifle taken:D

Seriously though, sniping on most maps without security leaves you open to being flanked.

Even if you snipe from cover have a team mate watching the entrance you cant see.

Upvote 0
Ah sniping... that's one thing I really need to get good at in this game.

It's tough though because once you're really used to the correct leading distances with the bolt/semi auto you have to completely start over with the sniper (because the scope gives you the illusion that you're closer to them than you actually are)

So yeah, I think sniping with a non-scoped bolt is the way to go. It draws way less attention too... (and it really isn't that hard).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I find that, in many cases, you can have mobility and a good field of view if you have altitude. Krasnyi is a good example of this. You have a field of fire on both exits. They will know you're up in the windows... but they often look at the wrong one and *pop*. I also like that sniper tower because you can use doors as an alarm system, and take people by surprise with the good ol' pistol.

Upvote 0
Weapon Selection:

I prefer the bolt action. It always hits exactly where it's pointed. The lack of speed isn't really an issue because, as a sniper, you shouldn't be touchable by others while you line up your second shot. The only time I pick the semi-auto is when I know I'll be needed in the front line with the assault, or if an attack is coming.

Personally, I prefer the Semi-sniper mostly because switching to pistol takes to long after you realize someone has walked behind you. Secondly, if two or more people attack your position it is easier to take care of both of them. Also, I tend to have better rates of running into a room and using the rifle to kill someone at blank range than the pistol. Of course, I like to snipe in hot zones and move around a great deal so I might come up on the enemy at any given time.

Cover: I prefer visibility over cover to a certain extent when I pick my location. My first choice is a window that looks over a broad range of the battlefield, but still has places I can duck into. I love having altitude because people are more visible while prone.

When I'm moving to a location I like and need to make a shot, I like to find it useful not to rest a weapon on top of a piece of cover (a derelict vehicle, fences, overturned furniture) but below it. You can still get the shot, but you will not expose your location as easily

I never use static cover unless I'm horribly lazy and don't feel like anyone is going to bother to shoot back.

I tend to crouch and just peak over the window sill when moving just to glance over the cover while moving to see if i see anyone visible for maybe only a second. If I see someone, I go back out of a sight and then come back up in iron sights ready to shoot. Of course sometimes it means they have moved on without even noticing you, but if they happened to be a sniper or someone else that saw me and was going to shoot back, at that moment is the best to kill them since they don't know when I'm choosing to pop back up but I know where they are at. I'll try to shift position slightly after walking side to side.

If there are any rooms with doors, I'll stay in those rooms regardless if people know I'm there. I'm fine with them hosing the window with MG or sniper watching the window as long as I know I won't have someones bayo from behind without warning. Snipers just hate melee as it is.

Hence... I like to see the surprise when they realize I can hip with the semi-automatic.

Where to aim:
On stationary targets I find it best to aim for the space where their helmet ends and you can first see skin. At medium range, it's a headshot, and at very long range, you hit, at worst, their sternum... which is a kill shot.

I don't try for head shots, I just aim for the area below the neck.

Target Priority:

I generally like to attack people in this order: Immediate threats to me, people call out for me to kill, snipers, mgs, people firing (you may save someone, plus they're often an easy shot because they're stationary), people with funny hats, and then others.

If someone is shooting at me, I like to walk away for a bit. They'll sit there and either get impatient or go "WTF?" and stop paying attention.

My moving rule:

The rule I follow when deciding when to move is:
After 3 shots they know where you are
After 10 there's someone trying to kill you for sure
After 15 there's someone behind you with an smg

You have to keep moving to keep the enemy guessing. Try to duck between locations, switch windows, or move 10 feet down the line.

Like I said before... If there is a room with a door. I'll stick around regardless, but if not I tend to move about.

Learn to use your pistol, it is your friend.

I still like the semi-auto better for this role.

Personally, I don't play sniper that much nor really like to (too much pressure), but on some maps if semi-auto is available I'll take it.

I'm a horrible shot as it is and most of my kills are at short range hipping.

Upvote 0
Well the basic thing is that if you're in "hot areas" it is more difficult to take out important targets and really impossible to deny any piece of land to the enemy. It really is best to stay back and pluck people off.

Also, you should be ready for close quarters combat, but you really shouldn't be seeking it. If you find yourself hipping with a scoped svt on a regular basis you need to come to your senses and go to a different place.

On Danzig this would be shooting across langer, Krasnyi near the back of the objectives (or the sniper tower), Odessa pretty much any place with altitude you can get a good shot from, Basovka some place as far away from nades as possible with a lot of cover, et cetera.

Terkassy (sp?) allies is about the only place where you are most effective mixing it up with the assault troops.

Upvote 0
Then you can keep an eye open for the enemy sniper, if he's smart enough to be hunting you.

Personally i don't think a sniper's job is to kill other snipers, i think their job is taking out infantry. Sure, if the other sniper is near, it's best to take him out, but i don't think it's first priority. Taking out commanders and helping out you're side from a vantage point would be more useful for taking objectives.

Upvote 0
Personally i don't think a sniper's job is to kill other snipers, i think their job is taking out infantry. Sure, if the other sniper is near, it's best to take him out, but i don't think it's first priority. Taking out commanders and helping out you're side from a vantage point would be more useful for taking objectives.

Commanders, yes. Regulary infantry? They're merely targets of opportunity. Its your own teams infanty job to kill the general assault troopers coming in. Taking out the enemy snipers when you see them protects your main infantry body, commander, and MGs. You're not out to just follow the enemy sniper around, looking only for him, but he IS a priority target. You harass infantry ONLY after you've cleared out the support classes you can see. And certainly if there's an enemy MG or sniper naiing your guys, move and try to take him out. In general you should position yourself in a manner that supports the assualt or defense. But if the enemy is doing thier job, thier support classes will be there also.

Upvote 0
There are 25 enemies at most, and most of them are riflemen/assault troopers. I seriously don't see why people prioritize like this, riflemen and assault troopers are the most damaging and match winning classes on the battlefield, and there are so many of them :). Any shot that kills an enemy is a good shot, I'd never wait whilst 3 assault troopers went by, then shoot a mg when I could shoot at the assault troopers too.

Upvote 0
There are 25 enemies at most, and most of them are riflemen/assault troopers. I seriously don't see why people prioritize like this, riflemen and assault troopers are the most damaging and match winning classes on the battlefield, and there are so many of them :). Any shot that kills an enemy is a good shot, I'd never wait whilst 3 assault troopers went by, then shoot a mg when I could shoot at the assault troopers too.

You do understand the concept of a target of oppurtunity? I never said anything about not EVER shooting general infantry, merely prioritizing. If you have three assault troopers running across a field while an enemy MG is providing covering fire, you take out the MG first, unless there's the unlikely case that the assaulters are blocking your shot to the MG or immediately threatening to yourself.

Think of it this way: You probably have a few of your teammates in front of you with SMGs or rifles. They're in danger of getting shot at by both the MG and assaulters. They have a small chance of taking out the MG, and probably a reasonable chance of taking out the assaulters. You on the other hand, have the option of shooting at a stationary MG suppressing your friends, or the moving assaulters. Your first target should be the MG. Why? Because removing the MG cover gives your teammates a greater chance of taking out the assaulters. That way you SUPPORT your infantry, and let them do thier job of taking out the enemy grunts. Obviously, after the MG is down, you're free to take shots at the remaining assaulters.

The same goes for the enemy snipers though. They're doing on of three things: 1.) Killing your MG gunners 2.) Killing your general infantry or 3.) Hunting YOU. The sniper then takes priority over enemy infantry because if they're allowed to do do any of those things they reduce the overall fighting ability of your team by either killing gunners or taking over the sniper supremacy you currently have over your FOV.

You're right that the assaulters usually do most of the killing, but that's because there's so many of them. The sniper has the ability of making precise shots on important targets. They can be far more demoralizing and effective than a SMG dude if used properly.

I get frustrated with people who use the MG 34 like a super-semi-auto too. They might kill a few more guys but they're not using the weapon to it's full potential.

Upvote 0