• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Fire and Maneuver

I dont see that many people practicing this in game........but its a sound tactic IRL and in RO.

ill spare the drummery of explaining it. The most common thing i see, especially in tank maps is the lack of this, due to lack of crewing, which is essential for great success.

The evolution of this, is firing and moving the tank, this does not give the enemy, unless well experienced, a chance to fire with accuracy. In long range circumstances, this does require the tank to become stationary when firing.

In closer ranges of, 600m and less, tactics can change especially if there is a driver and gunner. The tactics change to firing while maneuvering. The main consideration is for the driver to be a good gunner themselves, this allows for them to know when to turn the tank, when to possibly slow to 50% speed for longer range shots and hearing the shell loaded.

Minut course corrections by the driver when the shell is loaded should never be done unless it is a extremely bad angle(voice comms work great).

Use the brakes! they are your friend and can make the enemy miss, since many people lead the tank on long ranges.

I have practiced this and a few other tactics while firing on maneuver in many of the tanks.

A article i recently read said that Tigers were virtually dead as soon as they stopped moving, unless they were firing and then moving again. I see way too many tigers sitting around looking for targets, then the person dying because it was flanked. This was mainly from open combat, fortunately we dont have the ability to camoflauge our tanks, as that was a favorite tactic of Tigers in normandy. Camoflauging, surprise attack and then retreating to a rally point and redeploying in the evening.

OK, let�s recap. We draw the gun from the holster, knock the safety catch off, there�s one in the chamber, and move and fire, and move and fire, and move and fire. The terrorist is disoriented from the stun grenade, he doesn�t know what�s going on. Remember the double-tap, bang bang. We have to neutralise the threat by incapacitating the target, we do that in two areas. The chestal area here, anywhere down the central line, all the major organs are kept. We get one there, he�s going down. If you�re near enough, you can take a head shot. Again, he�s going down. :D

Good stuff, but if your driving you should only do this at the orders of your tank comander. Otherwise you can expect to be on the recieving end of a tirade of abuse. Then of course there are those occasions when your tank sudenly pitches its nose into the ground for no apparent reason just as your about to fire.

Upvote 0
Good stuff, but if your driving you should only do this at the orders of your tank comander. Otherwise you can expect to be on the recieving end of a tirade of abuse. Then of course there are those occasions when your tank sudenly pitches its nose into the ground for no apparent reason just as your about to fire.

like i said, if ya got a driver who is a good gunner and you are decently close ;)

wanna try it on friday? :p

Upvote 0
Take it to the graduate level.

Take it to the graduate level.

Fire and maneuver is a far more complex subject than merely shooting and scooting in one's tank.

Maneuver is either gaining a position of advantage over your enemy, or allowing him to place himself at a position of disadvantage.

The position of advantage doesn't have to be physical...it may also be functional or psychological. For example, if an enemy platoon leader chooses to sneak around a flank, trying to be tricky and get some enfilade or rear kills, he is functionally dislocated because he cannot use his smoke grenades to provide concealment to advancing troops, and he probably won't be able to use his artillery observer capabilities to support his team. Likewise, an example of psychological dislocation is the sniper who has a great spot from which nobody sees him and he racks up a dozen or so kills, but he remains there even after the focus of action shifts to another portion of the map in the vain hopes that he may rack up more kills. He is no longer an asset to his teammates and the enemy has psychologically maneuvered to a position of advantage over him, for he thinks he may be able to kill more people if he stays in position.

Fire may be direct from yourself or your team mates, or it may be indirect in the form of artillery. Regardless, the object of your fires must be to prevent the enemy from maneuvering. Destruction is preferred, of course, but not necessary. In fact, sometimes allowing the enemy to survive in a position which he has no advantage and may not influence anyone else's advantage is more beneficial than killing him.

Fire facilitates maneuver...maneuver dislocates the enemy physically, functionally, and/or psychologically. Fire and maneuver are mutually beneficial and whichever side finds the delicate balance is assured victory.

Upvote 0
Fire and maneuver is a far more complex subject than merely shooting and scooting in one's tank.

Maneuver is either gaining a position of advantage over your enemy, or allowing him to place himself at a position of disadvantage.

The position of advantage doesn't have to be physical...it may also be functional or psychological. For example, if an enemy platoon leader chooses to sneak around a flank, trying to be tricky and get some enfilade or rear kills, he is functionally dislocated because he cannot use his smoke grenades to provide concealment to advancing troops, and he probably won't be able to use his artillery observer capabilities to support his team. Likewise, an example of psychological dislocation is the sniper who has a great spot from which nobody sees him and he racks up a dozen or so kills, but he remains there even after the focus of action shifts to another portion of the map in the vain hopes that he may rack up more kills. He is no longer an asset to his teammates and the enemy has psychologically maneuvered to a position of advantage over him, for he thinks he may be able to kill more people if he stays in position.

Fire may be direct from yourself or your team mates, or it may be indirect in the form of artillery. Regardless, the object of your fires must be to prevent the enemy from maneuvering. Destruction is preferred, of course, but not necessary. In fact, sometimes allowing the enemy to survive in a position which he has no advantage and may not influence anyone else's advantage is more beneficial than killing him.

Fire facilitates maneuver...maneuver dislocates the enemy physically, functionally, and/or psychologically. Fire and maneuver are mutually beneficial and whichever side finds the delicate balance is assured victory.

please read my post and understand that i was not going to explain the basic concept. I assume(maybe foolheartedly) that alot of people who would look into this thread already have the basic understanding and maybe already have a background in military movements.

This is a more advanced version, with tanks instead, and shooting on the run.

And its also to hopefully increase the viciousness of the tank battles that already rage, imagine both sides with 25 tanks each doing this instead of sitting and shooting at each other? one word: EPIC

Upvote 0
I agree.

I agree.

And its also to hopefully increase the viciousness of the tank battles that already rage, imagine both sides with 25 tanks each doing this instead of sitting and shooting at each other? one word: EPIC

That would be great. The tank battles I see now are all too often one-on-one duels with both tanks angled, shells ricocheting harmlessly to the ground.

Once I was a platoon leader in South Village on Arad and watched three of our German tanks move in perfect echelon formation up to north field, and once the first tank made contact with the enemy, the other two wisely kept moving until they were able to fight from the capzone or hit the enemy's flank...beautiful.

Upvote 0
You can still do the fire and maneuver shtick while single-tanking, it would just be a little less dynamic and require perhaps more cover. In any case, it is a superior tactic to sitting still and waiting. The tank should move in any reasonable direction after every shot.

I've tried doing it that way, too much of a hassle IMO and not very effective. You have to delay to Reload the gun, all too often you'll park the Tank in a position the Gunner can't use. and due to the Reload time you end up a sitting duck for the Enemy at some point in the process.

When Solo, it is better just to park in a place that provides good cover and a goo line of fire to the Enemy.

Upvote 0
When Solo, it is better just to park in a place that provides good cover and a goo line of fire to the Enemy.

But a parked tank is still a parked tank, and sooner or later it will be flanked and destroyed or overwhelmed and destroyed. Maneuvering your tank is still good practice when soloing, but it requires a different kind of maneuvering. Most of the time, you will just be trying to get yourself to a safer or superior position, sitting a while, and moving again. As I said, this only makes for less dynamic maneuvers, but it's still doable and gives a higher chance of survival than being a sitting duck.

Upvote 0
But a parked tank is still a parked tank, and sooner or later it will be flanked and destroyed or overwhelmed and destroyed. Maneuvering your tank is still good practice when soloing, but it requires a different kind of maneuvering. Most of the time, you will just be trying to get yourself to a safer or superior position, sitting a while, and moving again. As I said, this only makes for less dynamic maneuvers, but it's still doable and gives a higher chance of survival than being a sitting duck.

only time i sit and wait is in a su76 or stug, getting a good ambush place is great, but you have 3-4 shots before the tank is either destroyed or turns and destroys you..........and then i usually bug out at the 3rd shot to keep my position strong........but i dont do it very often.......

Upvote 0
just a heads up fire and manuever in tanks is known as skirmishing

usually done with a platoon of 4 tanks
two tanks form a fire base taking it in turns to creep forward and fire at the target whiel the other two maneuver to a position where they can enfilade the enemy target

but as riggs descirbed earlier can also be done

the whole theory of fire and maneuver or skirmishing is one foot on the gorund

that is to say one foot holds and fixes the enemy while the other moves
this is the surest way to mantain the momentumn of the attack (one of the primary principes of war)

to do this wel requires outstanding teamplay and communicaiton skills

Upvote 0