• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Baksan Valley

HiddenPartisan

FNG / Fresh Meat
Jun 28, 2007
Topeka, KS
Well I'm a relatively new player to this game. I can hold my own with a bolt, cept when I'm dancing with smgs and semis up in a building, etc.

But the map I hate the most and really just frankly suck at is Baksan Valley. What am I supposed to do on this map? I can't seem to find any avenues of approach to even get in the cap zones effectively, especially the church. As a rifleman, should I just skirt to the buildings on the right as Russki and try to support the advance?

Idk, I just plain and simple suck at this map. What's everyone's stategy when fighting there?

Baksan Valley of Death

Baksan Valley of Death

My strategy is to not even play that map. Just kidding. I only play German side, so I can't explain how a Russian should play it, but here's what I do....

By the way, that map is like something from Castlevania or Simon's Quest...I keep expecting vampires or zombies to pop out of the ground.

What you need to do with your teammates is group together and sieze one objective, preferably the ruins. Then, two of you remain there to defend and everyone else advances to the next. If you prefer rifle, that's your job...stay put and defend from a capzone making the long shots in support of your advance. When your buddies sieze the next OBJ (church), one of you should go over there to defend it. When it's time for the last capzone (bridgehouse), if you're not under attack yourself, fix your bayonet and ready your grenades and join the final assault.

You're right...there are too many avenues of approach on that map which makes it very difficult to defend OBJs once they are siezed.

Upvote 0
one of the sweetest stock maps

one of the sweetest stock maps

This map is so fun and underplayed, so many places to hide and different attack routes. Don't be hatin', learn it and love it, rifle really can be effective in any situation. Remember when your assaulting you can smoke out stinkys with grenades.

Hnng back slightly behind other guys and clean up the scraps.

Don't be predictable if at all possible.

Watch where people die and try to figure out where the shooting comes from, muzzle flash, noise etc. Pull back slightly from yer position if you think a nade could be coming via airmail.

I love rifle but if you feel its going to get bad, pick up a SMG off a stiff and make the enemy do the death dance!

Upvote 0
On this map reinforcements usually run out well before the timer does, so IMO trying to cap the ruin + church can be a bad idea long term, yea you could have a chance at getting the last cap but if you don't you will more often than not be the team that runs out of reinforcements first. I find its best to take either ruin or church (depending on your team) then set up some defences around that and pick people off..its all about the frags that map rather than capping IMO. So many times i've seen axis take ruin and church (costing them plenty of reinforcements) and then they can't get the last cap because the allies camp and pick them off, then what seemed to be an axis win for 90% of the map turns into an allies victory when the reinforcements run out because the allies were defending most of the map. Can be a bit risky though with just 1 cap zone, but generally thats what tends to happen as allies - the axis don't get the last cap and then lose. As axis its slightly different though because it seems to be easier to take back the ruin when you lose it. Just keep an eye on reinforcements and tell your team to attack/defend appropriately.

So as a bolty on that map find a good position and pick people off. I like going on the far right past the church as allies, but theres many different positions you can go to and be effective as either team. Just don't be too bothrered about helping cap as a bolter on Baksan - you're more effective using your gun to its strengths because of the reinforcements issue. There aren't that many maps like that though, usually I find its best to attack the cap zones even if you have a bolt

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I think your best strategy is to play a different map. I find this map intensely boring, since it often feels like a bit of a "round robin." You capture one position, and the position you just held gets captured, so you run back to get that one, and the one you just captured falls. And so on and so forth until the clock or reinforcements run out.

Some people like it. Some people juggle geese. >shrug<

Upvote 0
This map would be far more fun if the final objective were a little easier to capture. So often it just bounces back and forth making it a little boring. Usually takes a well co-ordinated assault against confused and disorganised defenders to stand much of chance of winning. Still, it's very fun when the final assault succeeds. Just more often than not it fails, and it's very frustrating.

But I will say one thing, this map is a lot better now it has mg's and a fair few smgs on it. It used to be pretty much a bolt arena, and a very boring one at that.

Anyway.. this is the tactics forum so here come the tactics. Be brave. Always attack. If you allow yourself to get pinned down you'll never win since it's pretty impossible to grind your way to victory on this. Find the safer approaches on the final objective and use them. Confuse the defenders by constantly moving. And most importantly time that final attack with friends! The final objective requires a combined assault to capture it quickly, since it's very hard to defend the cap zone for any prolonged period of time.

So essentially. Attack swiftly, attack with your team, and confuse the enemy at every stage.

Upvote 0
I love this map, when you play with a coordinated and communicative team it is pure fun. Despite its small size I find that it works best with 50 players, because that way you can hold objectives and prevent the stupid "sneek recap" which is the most ungodly annoying feature in the game. When attacking flanking is a must, otherwise you will be stuck with enemies on your right and left and be picked off in seconds.

Upvote 0
I love playing this map, particularly when I have the SMG (I'm not a lead sprayer) and I'm squad leader. I know exactly where the mg's should set up to cover an advance, and the flanks which are usually avoided for idiotic reasons. In other words, I just really click on Baksan Valley. IMO, the smaller the server, the better, because I am great at the small, inhumanly intense firefights for the objectives.

Upvote 0
I hate the random arty :mad:

The arty is random??? I thought it was aimed just at me! :(

As others have said, rifleman is not realy cut out for taking the caps on this map. Best advice is to let the subys take the ground and concentrate on closing down all those routes for the enemy to take them back. Incidently don't over look the frozen river. It gets suprisingly little traffic, and can be a great place to desimate the enemy as they group ready to storm the church or ruins.

Upvote 0
Even with a bolt you can be a serious help at capping the objectives, although you will more often find yourself right around the periphery of any one objective, where you'll be moving around as much as possible, picking off anything that moves before rushing in with everyone else. IMO the Russians are playing with a handicap because it takes them much longer than the Germans to reach the nearest objective (the church for them). In that time, the Germans will have capped their Ruins and may already halfway towards assaulting your position. Basically, it's difficult to contest the Ruins early on but very easy to contest the Church.

Speed, fragging ability and survival skills are necessary on this map in general, but particularly important for the Russians. The Germans just have to put up a generally solid game to win, but if you're not on their side, you need to be more creative or more skilled to win. I've seen the bridgehouse suffer far more assaults more quickly than the mill (or whatever the last German obj. is called).

It's a tough map to play. In general, teamwork will go a long way to helping you survive, but you need to be creative in your maneuvering and approaches and very good at killing to excel. I like to think of it as the challenging version of Danzig, because it boils down to very close-in fighting but with a crapload more choices and paths. Yes, bolters will tend to get relegated to the edges of the map, but be a little gutsy and if you show some forethought, you can be useful to an assault/defensive action while in the thick of it.

Upvote 0