• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Bolts vs. Autos vs. SMGs

NoxNoctum

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2007
Just wondering what you guys prefer... by auto I mean automatic rifles, not the smgs.

I've found that I do far better at medium-long range shots with the bolt action rifles than the autos, 1) because the sights are better, and 2) because it seems to be more accurate (is this true???), AND because it forces me to use disciplined fire and take my time with each shot since I have to reload between each shot.

I agree, bolt action rifles are more accurate, and they also make you aim better because you know the follow up shot is going to take some time. Though most of the time SVT and G41 are accurate enough IMO so whenever possible, I'll choose self loading rifle. Sniper is the only exception, I tend to play carefully when sniping and not to give the enemy a chance to shoot back, and that means taking very long range shots with one-shot-one-kill -mentality. That's just not possible with scoped SVT or G43, they are way too inaccurate. G43 also seems to lack stopping power.

Upvote 0
It all depends on the situation.

If I know I'll be exclusively in close combat, give me an SMG any day. Preferably a PPSh.

In medium range combat, or if I need versatility, I want a semi-auto or the STG. Since most maps are variable range maps, I prefer to use these.

If I'm going to be medium-long to long-range (bear in mind "long" range in infantry combat is, say, 300m in game), I'd rather have a bolt-action. I can manage in close if I have to, but I do find them more accurate and reliable at longer range.

The semi-auto rifles are indeed less accurate at a distance. Some of this is inherent in the weapon (and coded in), and some of it is in how I and others use them. If you pop off shots too quickly, obviously the recoil will make you lose your target. But even taking slow, single shots, I find the semi-autos less reliable. That and I HATE the German sight picture with the G43.

Upvote 0
Same for me, it all depends.

First of all, on map switch when I can get any role I want, I pick my class based on something other than these 3 choices. I'll go for the satchels or MG or tank or Squad Leader... for their other, more influential attributes. And I just play with whatever that special-teams class has as a weapon.

But if I've got to pick rifle, semi, or SMG, then I base it upon how I feel and how close I think my engagements will be. Although I must admit I almost never pick the semi-auto rifles. I find them bad for discipline, inaccurate (though I've had guys get amazing shots on me with them), and for 2 of the 3, there's no bayonet.

So if I think I'll be picking off enemies then advancing, or defending - I'll pick a bolt-action. If I'm going to be storming enemy positions or the map is close-quarters, I'll go for an SMG.

Upvote 0
On a map like Danzig, I'll actually prefer an assault rifle or semi-auto. I'll want the flexibility. At those ranges, the guns are all accurate enough for my tastes (G43 peculiarities notwithstanding), and I'd rather have the ability to engage at longer-than-SMG range if possible.

If no semi-auto is available and I'm playing as the Russians, I'll grab the M38 or M44 since it turns and shoulders a hair faster, I think.

Upvote 0
If I'm German and a Stg44 is available, I'll take that.

But I usually don't get the choice so I end up with the bolt or MP40. And it really depends on the map and the situation.

Sometimes I'm cursing at myself for not bringing a bold and sometimes cursing myself for not brining a submachine gun.

Of course sometimes, I'll just spot a better gun for the situation laying on the ground and take that instead.

What does irk me about RO is that I believe one of the reasons German infantry did so poorly at the end of the war was because they fielded primarily bolts whereas the US forces had primarily semi-auto rifles and the Soviets had all semi-automatics.

Again... (not to side track) I still feel that bolts are way too accurate for battlefield situations and what really should win a battle is the amount of guns and the rate of fire (unless you are a trained sniper)

Simply having the bullet go where you point it is not only realistic, but defies the human ability to perceive distance and the laws of physics. (There is a reason bolt rifles have adjustable iron site ranges on them)

The only way you should be able to completely pixel shoot is to have an option to hold your breathe like a real sniper (say like you can in AA). Unless you brought along a mounted tripod, even propping a gun on a sand bag will have some residual movement from breathing and other innate body motion.

To be fair, the SMG should suffer the same problem but even more so. But my point is that because of over accuracy of bolts that the concept of concentrated firepower is done away with. (Wasn't it like 1,000 bullets per kill in the war?)

To be fair, I've enjoyed a fair share of aiming at pixels and get a death message on the larger maps.

Of course then again, the fact that a T-34/Tiger trumps a bolt no matter how you look at it makes it a moot point sometimes.

Upvote 0
I love my bolt, and usually don't take semis or smgs unless its lyeskrovy, in which case everyone and their roommate has one.

My connection apparently puts me in the the selection screen after everyone else so I'm limited to bolt usually anyway. But that's cool, since its more fun coming across weapons lying around and giving them a little run while most of the time supporting with a boltie.

Upvote 0
It really depends on the map and what kind of mood im in. I really love maps like danzig with the svt40 sniper and i love to charge into the cap zone with it. dont ask why i really dont know but anyone thats played with me on danzig knows it works. on big open maps with little cover i prefer the M44 mosin but i cant stand the german kar98 sites so i go semi auto if im stuck german. If i feel like my team is a bit lacking in the skill department and im a russian on the attack i will go ppsh on most maps just because i know it has enough rounds in it to kill 4-5 people before i reload. Can be a hassle when theres ten people defending a cap zone and no russians in there with me to try to take it.

Im not sure why but i tend to do really bad with the normal svt40 rifle. It just dosnt seem accurate to me But the german semi autos are just fine and easy to hit stuff with. Maybe its the svt has more recoil or something i really dont know. I try to use it but i normaly do better with a bolt or a smg.

Upvote 0
In real life, semi-auto rifles are less accurate than bolt action rifles, simply due to the action working while the bullet is still travelling down the barrel, which effects the weapons's stability.

That is true, but many feel the difference in accuracy is played up a bit to balance gameplay. That said, the semi auto rifle is the best allround gun in the game imho. It can compete with anything at any range, with the possible exception of hipped fire at close/medium ranges where it badly suffers against an smg. So if I want to do well.. a semi is where I tend to head.

But I generally pick class depending on what I want to do, rather than what would be the most effective class.

Upvote 0
Generally, you'll find me on the German team manning any MG i can get my hands on. Depending on the map, If i'm on the russians, i'll always go for whatever the long bolt action with the optionable bayo is(can't remember the name MN1913 i think).

I always do better with the bolts, plus just in case it' gets dirty with face to face, there's always they bayonet.

Upvote 0