• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Sticking Together or Following the Leader

I usually try to move with a group, but this use to cause problems when fighing indoors. For some reason, ppl tend to stack up around corners or in doorways. Since most players have learned to cook their grenades this is a real death-trap. Also, people stacking up like this tend to look in the same direction. Also a death trap should an enemy appear from behind (quite probable in close quarters fighting). The third problem with groups in this situation is that when exiting/entering a door, people tend to run in/out one at the time. Person 1 runs through, person 2 takes his place and starts looking out. Person 2 runs through and so on. Sure, it's silly to run into blind situations, but if person 1 survived the first 2 seconds it tells you that there is at least no enemy directly guarding that door. And should there be any enemies in the room you stand a much better chance if you all attack compared to sending in one person to alert the enemy and then drop in one at the time.

Upvote 0
I always try to team if possible, an extra set of eyes can make a pretty big difference, covering fire, spotting for you, and vice versa.

Any Shooters i have played, i always try to get a small group together.

Even as a sniper it's good to have one other with you to cover blind spots/fire whilst you are reloading or relocating.

When people come together as a team instead of a rabble of headless chickens running everywhere solo'ing, then the real fun of the game begins i think. :D

Maybe not everyones opinion, but my preferred style of play for sure, find a buddy or a few and support, support, support.
A lot of experience can be gained through being part of a squad, small or large.

Upvote 0
Good post Cal , i fully agree with you , my best moments in RO are team efforts and group tactics/actions , riflemen , machine gunners standing side to side and firing barrages of bullets , when tankists and SMG/demolition guys move together and help capture the objectives , RO is all about teamwork and like you said , the real fun begins when players start to rely on each other , attack as a unit and help/cover themselves .

Upvote 0
Perhaps it's just the nature of tankers, but I seem to see more coordination and support there as opposed to the times I play as a ground-pounder. I'm sure there are differing viewpoints, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

As for 'picking a person and following them' I'll comment from my (a tanker's) point of view: If I'm in a heavier tank, such as my favorite Tiger I, I'll hook up with one or two faster tanks and follow them in, keeping an overwatch for incoming Bad Guys that I can take out at medium to long ranges to clear the way for the lighter tanks. If I'm in a light tank (usually I'll go with a Pz III) I'll screen for whoever is in a Tiger or Panther and try and keep the path clear of infantry or the odd pop-up ambush tank. Sometimes it's a function of the afore-mentioned 'magic coordination' that happens from time to time, but by and large in my personal experience it's a result of TALKING to your teammates.

It also helps A LOT if your little kampfgruppe is up on VOIP; coordinating tanks and infantry is iffy at best, but having a live person to talk to eases the strain and is the best way to quickly get your information to the right people.

Upvote 0