• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics What are the differences between the russian bolts?

In reality or in-game?

In game Im not sure there really is a difference but it has been said that the M38 is slightly quicker to bear and aim. I doubt it though.

In reality the M38 was usually issued to rear area troops are mechanized troops and was supposed to have a slightly shorter range than the long rifle.

The 91/30 was supposed to have more range over the M38 in the game according to some but even if it is true, it really doesn't matter in-game because most maps are small enough not to show this difference due to no long range shooting distance.

As always, I could be wrong though.

Upvote 0
Reality vs. Game

Reality vs. Game

In reality, the largest difference between the rifles would depend on when they were manufactured. Virtually all M44s made during the war were little better than led pipes .. they were produced quickly with little regard to precision, comfort or accuracy (trust me I have one).

Any pre-war made version of the other two, or ones that were made in factories that were built and staffed before the war and didn't suffer a great amount of damage or turn-around during the war, are far better than their knock-off younger siblings.

In the game I have noticed that the M44 bolts slower and loads slower. The other two are identical in this respect to each other as faster than the M44.

The only other difference would be the sight post - I prefer the 91/30 over all but the M38 comes in second.

----Lowman

Upvote 0
The 91/30 is more accurate at extreame long range but as far as accuracy goes you wont be shooting at targets that far away often enough to matter. Let the sniper do that.

I mostly just use the m44 simply because im lazy. But all the weapons seem about the same as how effective they are. If you really like to stab people go for the 91/30 because it seems to have better range with the bayonet. like 18 inches instead of the standard 12 inch or whatever it is. No matter what it is in the game it feels way way way too short. 4-5 foot long gun and its hard to stab someone on the ground when they are prone because the reach is too short.. its just silly.

And thank you people for bringing up the search thing again. Let the old threads die! Fresh discussion is good. Stop being rude and responding with search. Im sick of threads getting merged into long since dead threads that dont even match the topic exactly just because they are sort of close to the same topic. Reading the extra paragraph isnt really that hard is it? If the topic dosnt show up in the first few pages of the forum make a new one no reason to dig up a post that was made 8 months ago or more.

Upvote 0
Not Your Imagination!

Not Your Imagination!

Maybe it's just my imagination but the 91/30 feels a little heavier and more stable. M38/M44 are quicker to aim. But in the end, the differences are small enough that I can play equally well with any one.

I have noticed that there is a difference in the speed you can sprint and the distance (or length of time) you can do it depending on what weapon you are carrying! The fastist runners in the game (as far as I can tell) are German riflemen, and in reality the Kar98k is the lightest. Except perhaps for any given SMG but it is possible that running with a rifle is faster because the SMG is akward (this would be sick programing on part of designers but not surprising given the caliber of the game). Usually I am an MGer and I may be crazy but I find that I can get into position faster if I have my Lugar or a nade in my hand instead of my MG34.

I know this is off thread topic but has anyone else noticed this or am I nuts?

----Lowman

Upvote 0
Well they couldn't very well leave any of the rifles out of the game - as they were all so widely used during the conflict. +1 for adding the mundane details :)

the 91/30 in reality holds an accuracy advantage based solely on the fact that the sight radius is greater. Some extra muzzle velocity is imparted on the round, but because of things like wind resistance and bullet design, it holds little advantage over the rest of them.

Why have the 91/30 length when shorter rifles can produce the same result, and lighten the soldiers load, while being significantly easier to point and maneuver in tight spaces, which are becoming increasingly common as the war dredges on?
The Russians and every other nation asked themselves the same question - and the carbines were the answer.

Upvote 0