• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Why its better ???

honorshark

Dec 17, 2006
Hi ! I'm a newbie, so I try to ask for help. I bought the game few days ago, and I like it very much. One thing what I don't understand.. Why I choose the shortened rifles instead the original ones. It says in description in the shortened: "Accuracy is slightly reduced" etc... Why there are these rifles?? just for fun???

Please help! Thanks!!!

The M38 and M44 move faster in "free aim" (a.k.a. hip-shooting). They are also a little faster to bring to your shoulder. The loss of accuracy only starts to show up at longer ranges. Most of the fighting we do in the game works fine with the M38 or the M44. The downside is that the M38 has no bayonet (like the 91/30) and the M44 is only available on a few official maps. Also, there is the accuracy issue, but most of the time that won't be a problem for you.

In general, here's a good way to think about it:

Long range -- pick the 91/30.

Medium or short range -- the 91/30 has a bayonet, but shoulders slower. The M38 has no bayonet, but shoulders faster.

Personally, i like the M38 in close range, but I don't use the bayonet often, and I'd rather be "quicker on the draw" than an opponent with a full-sized rifle.

Upvote 0
Hi ! I'm a newbie, so I try to ask for help. I bought the game few days ago, and I like it very much. One thing what I don't understand.. Why I choose the shortened rifles instead the original ones. It says in description in the shortened: "Accuracy is slightly reduced" etc... Why there are these rifles?? just for fun???

Please help! Thanks!!!

Stick with the version you can put the bayonet on. Once you learn how to use the bayonet well, it will save your skin many times! After you fire your one round off and the enemy is running at you or is loading his gun you don't have time to bolt the next round and then risk missing again....charge with the bayonet, it is a one hit kill if you get them in the right places. Sooner or later you will always miss the critical shot and there simply isn't time if he's close to do anything but charge him. Especially if he has an SMG, you need to get in close and start circling him so he can't shoot you as easy, perfect place for a bayonet kill. Just remember to stab at the place he is going to be when the bayonet discharges, not the place he is when you pull it back. Lead the target the same as you do with a bullet.

When you are in a room or behind a hill and a guy throws a grenade at you, best thing to do is charge him with your bayonet. He's not expecting it and isn't ready. If you try to bash with the stock of the gun it takes several hits usually IF you can connect...that'll get ya killed.

Learn to use the bayonet and stick with that version of the rifle.

Upvote 0
if in doubt, choose K98, or pick one up from your friendly neighborhood german corpse. I don't need to bolt that fast, and when I need to do a long range shot, the long rifles get the job done right.
Except the K98 isn't a long rifle but a carbine, just like the M38. :rolleyes:

The original, full-length German rifle used in WW1 was the Gewehr 1898 (G98), which is the equivalent of the Mosin-Nagant 1891/1930 in the game, since the MN1930 was just the WW1 design with minor modifications. On the other hand, the G98 was phased out before WW2 started, so the Germans don't really have a "long" rifle. Not standard issue anyway.

All the rifles are pretty much the same, anyway. If you can kill a man with one, you can kill a man with any of the others. The only truly significant difference is the extra melee capacity a bayonet supplies.

Upvote 0