• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Get in the cap zone!

Seconded.

Easy solution... don't join in on public servers.... but to sit and bad-mouth is well, rather counter productive for RO and everyone. :(

As for Cap Zones, I agree... that is unless the people on the server have agreed to modify their game plan to allow "modified but temporary gameplay". As in, "Let's have a massive tank duel" Or, "a prolonged infantry battle while avoiding captures so the map isn't over so quickly."

The entire purpose of the game is ..to enjoy the game. Not simply to adhere to strict control freakish rules like, go in run to the cap zones grab them all and then... wham!! GAME OVER! Where's the fun in that? These things must be "played by ear" if they are to be enjoyable. To some, "a fast cap session and game over" is their cup of tea, fine ..enjoy. But at the same time, others have other ways of enjoying RO.. they're entitled to enjoy the game too. Ridicule and scorn splits a userbase faster than anything else. A bit of wise and prudent thought will go a long way for all concerned. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In the scenarios that do not allow cap zones to be retaken (such as Black Day in July) all forces concentrated at taking objectivesone at time will win you the game rapidly, and is an exception when all forces in the cap zone is a viable and realistic strategy.
Infantry Maps that allow objectives to be retaken at will, i.e Danzig become just boring slugfests (Sequence goes...Spawn-run-shoot-die-spawn-run ...etc) with the quickest CPU's and 13 year old Timmy's who have spent a life time playing nintendo winning almost always.
It is my opinion that this game has to simulate combat fear more adequetly. All those CPU heroes out there that want to sound the bugle and charge headlong into ambushes, enemy fire etc hoping just to capture some 20 foot square objective would have to adjust play accordingly.
One map that does a good job of this is Orel, (you die and it takes a long time to get back into action) This always makes me think twice about my decisions (i.e do i open fire on that tiger at 1000 meters just because i see it first) or do i take my time and try to flank, and avoid direct confrontation that leads me to the inevitable quick death and effectively out of action for about 15 minutes.

Upvote 0
I almost view capzones as detrimental to the realism aspect. People are quick to throw their lives away rushing in to get the caps because others are shouting "get in the cap zone!" I'll leave a cap if I can be in a more advantageous position which offers me a field of fire or otherwise cuts off the path to a cap. Positions like these are oft-overlooked due to the obsession that people have with getting in the capzone.

However, that's just how the game works, and unfortunately pubbers are prone to not be in caps because they're running off to play the game like a team deathmatch. Ideally, you need people outside of the capzone to act as a buffer to alert those in or en route of where the enemy is counterattacking, if at all. Such requires people to be without the urge to constantly be grabbing points, and such behavior is visible in clan or tournament matches where there's more to playing than another 10 points.

Upvote 0
Perhaps 10-20% of the time the people you see sniping (with rifle or tank) outside the cap zones are actually doing something worthwhile.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: If you establish a good "cutoff point" there is absolutlely no need for that single soldier to be in the cap zone. He is preventing the enemy from arriving while the rest of his team moves in to cap. Of course this is an ideal situation that usually doesn't happen because many hapless players have no idea what their role should be doing so it often turns into "everybody hang back and copy the sniper or MG or very effective rifleman". Good players can hang back and provide excellent "area denial" services, only problem is whn everybody thinks they have the skill to do that. Bottom line is if you are hanging back out of the cap zone BUT getting ample kills you are contributing greatly; if you are hanging back and just hiding/not killing/supressing anything on a large scale it's time to move forward and find something else to do such as capture. But yeah the original point of people ordering everybody "into the capzone" is infuriating to me since they don't realize what the MG & sniper should mainly be doing. Hey if these comms want me to die a quick death when I'm MG or sniper sure I'll rush in to the cap zone with my pistol and a deathwish if that's his pleasure. Not everyone needs to be in the capzone is a point I wish more people grasped.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
People are quick to throw their lives away rushing in to get the caps because others are shouting "get in the cap zone!" I'll leave a cap if I can be in a more advantageous position which offers me a field of fire or otherwise cuts off the path to a cap. Positions like these are oft-overlooked due to the obsession that people have with getting in the capzone.

Ideally, you need people outside of the capzone to act as a buffer to alert those in or en route of where the enemy is counterattacking, if at all. Such requires people to be without the urge to constantly be grabbing points, and such behavior is visible in clan or tournament matches where there's more to playing than another 10 points.
100% agree. That's my exact view on the subject.

Upvote 0
It sounds to me like you are more interested in getting kills to flaunt your skills then you are in working with your team to win the game ... there is no shame in dying at close range for the sake of a solid cap. They were called STORM TROOPERS for a reason.
----Lowman

Hmmm.... this really sounds too much like the "dumb rush strategy". It only works well on maps, where "counter-capping" an objective is not possible.
And more times than once I have experienced everyone rushing madly and blindly to just get the cap, with no idea of what to do afterwards.
And with no one throttling enemy supply lines, a recapable cap is lost again as fast as it was captured. A good map to see this is K

Upvote 0
On the topic of 'get in the cap zone', I have a little rant.

Far too often you see players get in the zone but they don't sit tight and try to cap, especially when they have the advantage in numbers. Too easy. They would rather run into the zone and keep on running trying to hunt down the one or two enemy soldiers who are also there. They obviously end up dead most of the time. This reduces or nullifies the numerical advantage the attackers just had.

FOR THE SAKE OF ALL THINGS SACRED IN THIS GAME PEOPLE! If you have the advantage in numbers, cap the damn zone FIRST and then move out as a team to hunt down and eliminate the enemy soldiers there. Four, five or six team members can cap pretty quickly. Be smart. This tactic will work on most any map especially those featuring buildings to hide in. Just spread out a bit to avoid that lucky grenade toss. Cap the zone and make the enemy defenders now become the attackers. It much more to your favor, especially in urban/building situations.

[snip]

It is often much more effective to get in the edge of the cap zones. Know the map. Know where the edges are and use the cover there, especially if the objective locks out after capture. Hunt down the enemy after the cap completes and help your team move on.

This has to be one of my pet peeves, too. You finally get guys to get into the cap zone and they go either go "Rambo" or they can't keep their heads down and get picked off. Cap the freakin thing first! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Danzig is very important for capping, especially the Command Center and the Langer Markt. Rarely people go to the Langer Markt to cap it, they just push on from the command center onwards, to get to the spawn.

Kind of weird.

I noticed that myself. I typically go straight for the Command Center area, because soon enough, the Russians break past the opposition at the bridges and start streaming into it. Once they take the Command Center, it often doesn't take them long to reach and overrun Langermarkt, so I try to do most of my fighting there.

Upvote 0
If you establish a good "cutoff point" there is absolutlely no need for that single soldier to be in the cap zone. He is preventing the enemy from arriving while the rest of his team moves in to cap.
I don't get to play too much these days and when I do it seems to be mostly the stock maps. However...this past weekend I was fighting in Muddy Tigers as a Russian. It seemed like the best way to take and keep the farm was to send one or two Russians beyond the cap zone to hinder German reinforcements. That gave the Russians time to consolidate their hold on the farm. Otherwise it's just a swap fest for the farm as different waves of reinforcements recap it ad infinitum.

Establishing a cutoff may not always be the best option but it rarely hurts. If the enemy has limited paths to the capzone then a blocking force can really help. In Muddy Tigers the German infantry, and the Russian for that matter, must stay close to the road and trees or the tanks chew them up. That creates an ideal situation for a blocking force.

Upvote 0
Go easy on me here, not been playing all that long lol But where exactly is the cap zone and how do you know you are in it?
I often hear guys yelling to cap the warehouse on Stallingrad, but Just where is the cap zone?

Well the easy answer is to check your map when you spawn, so you have an idea of what and where the objectives are and who owns them (stars for russians, cross for germans). Once you get the hang of the map you'll know where to go.

You'll know you're in a capzone by the double red/black progress bars which will appear at the bottom of your HUD. One shows a comparison of manpower in the capzone, the other shows the percentage of possession. Possession is made by sustained superior manpower in the capzone, e.g. 2 guys of each side = no movement in possession. Add a third attacker into the capzone and possession of the capzone will slowly be established. More manpower = faster cap.

And be sure to check objectives again after you've capped, if it's not too hectic. Map Objectives often change from one cap to another.

Upvote 0
If i'm the SL I'm usually one of those 'get in the capzone' guys.
But I add a pinch of involvement in it. More often than not on pubs you can get more out of your team if you involve them in a way that has more to it than "ffs you noobs get in the ****ing capzone!!!!".
Suffice to say you dont need 100% in the capzone, but you need alot if the enemy has alot in there too.
I varies from situation to situation but more often than not i can get people to be involved into something bigger than 'just running to the capzone' and it works time and time again.
Motivation is the key here, insight is needed and ofcourse you need the good players occupying the key classes too. More often than not if you get a goonesquad as a tank crew with only 1 tank at your disposal its pretty much ****ed from the start =)

Upvote 0
Actually, the leader is the key. There is a time to get to the cap zone and a time to wait. Good team work starts with a good overall leader who stays calm and retains direction of his teammates. Sometimes he should be the only one talking over the coms.

Nothing better than getting on a public server and having a scratch team work together. Usually, it is because there is a first rate vet, talking everybody into position.

Upvote 0