• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How to kill Panther? Angled or frontal with t-34/85 and IS2...

After reading RedOctober's above post I opened the T-34/85 tank UC file:

T-34/85tank.uc
FrontArmorFactor: 11
SideArmorFactor: 6
RearArmorFactor: 5

11=110
6=60
5=50
According to these numbers the T-34/85 in game has more frontal armor than a real life Tiger I (100mm).:confused:

(To the devs: What do you want me to pay cash or something so I can post without being censored? Why was I even banned without warning to begin with? Was it my Merry Christmas sig? Are you atheists or something?
The only thing you are accomplishing with your immature behavior is driving away a potential buyer of any future games that your company might make)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
110 mm of frontal armor ? the T-34 (all) had only 45mm of armor (all around except turret). Sloping armor only goes so far it should not make the T-34 into a Heavy Tiger tank read here:

armor resistance is mainly determined by the ratio between armor thickness and projectile diameter (T/d). The T/d relationship regarding armor penetration demonstrates that the more the thickness of the armor plate overmatches the diameter of any incoming armor piercing round, the harder it is for the projectile to achieve a penetration. On the other side, the greater the diameter of the incoming projectile relatively to the thickness of the armor plate which it strikes, the greater the probability of penetration.

if the diameter of the armor piercing round overmatches the thickness of the armor plate, the protection given by the inclination of the armor plate diminishes proportionally to the increase in the overmatch of the armor piercing round diameter or, in other words, to the increase in this T/d overmatch. So, when a Tiger hit a T-34, the 88 mm diameter of the Tiger's round overmatched the 45 mm glacis plate of the T-34 by so much that it made no difference that the Russian tank's glacis was inclined at an angle of 60 degrees from vertical.

"You can angle the armor any way you want, and beyond a certain point of shot overmatching plate, the obliquity will cease to be relevant. In fact, at certain conditions of shot overmatching plate, the cosine rule is broken and the plate resists less well than the simple cosine relationship would predict (LOS thickness is greater than effective thickness). The above only applies to WWII era AP and APC/APCBC, and WWII sub caliber ammunition. The long rod penetrators of today are greatly overmatched but they bring so much energy to the plate that they penetrate by "ablation" in which both projectile and armor behave like fluids. Hollow charge also enters the field of fluid dynamics, with a very thin jet penetrating overmatching armor with ease, regardless of obliquity" (Robert Livingston; excerpts of a response to a question posted on the old "Tanker's Forum (Heavy Metal

We need a dev to comment on this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0