• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics T60 on Hedgehog

Dan

Aug 11, 2006
Does nobody else realize how much the T60 dominates HedgeHog? The small size of the map means that this tank can be pretty much everywhere, including the Axis spawn within seconds. You don't even have to shoot the main gun, you can just drive through the fields and mow down the Germans as they try to run away. If they lie down for cover you can easily crush them. The German panzer has no armour so it gets minced by the faster firing gun. The only real obstacle is German anti tank infantry, but they are slow enough that you can usually avoid the area they are in. When you get tired of running the Germans over you can sit on a hill somewhere and pick them off with the machine gun.

And yet I never seem to have any competition for tank comander or tank crew. It's as if nobody else realizes how easy it is to rack up kills. With the T60 I regularly have atleast double the score of the next highest player. Usually that's from zipping back and forth capturing the East and West Farmhouses. But also a ridiculous number of kills. I would be pissed at me if I were the other team, especially when I run a donut through a squad of five guys and their limbs go splattering.

I would like to see the T60 in more maps as I feel it is under utalised in preference to the standard tanks.

Personally I hate the new Hedgehog & would like to see the original layout from the mod days instead.

Many a time I have played this map only to get hammered by the T60 as it rolls in blasting everything in sight on the west farmhouse, I think this map is too small for armour, with the exception of the halftrack & clown car

Upvote 0
Herbsoffensive or whatever it's called - has 2 x T60 and germans have no tanks.

That kind of combined arms maps rock.

I would love to see 1942 Q4 map with soviets having few T34 + riflemen attacking german open ground trenches in winter blizzard.

(I assume u all know similar situtation from Stalingrad movie, only prob would be we dont have AT-guns yet :)

Upvote 0
That's funny, I've never had a problem with shots richocheting at any angle. Sometimes it will take 3 shots, sometimes 7 or 8 shots, but the Panzer III always goes down before it reloads a second shot. There's also the fact that the T60 is faster so the Panzer III can't really set up an angle because the T60 should be constantly moving. The T60 isn't a sit in one place andn snipe at one area map, it's a zoom around the map and never let anyone get a bead on you kind of tank.

Upvote 0
In historical battle russian tankers could have bailed out after 1st shot from PZ III :)
We can't model the fear-of-the-death behauvior for players.

In very experienced crew T60 could have /(is) been very deadly insect.

Have you ever read about these light tankers who circled around heavy german tanks so their attention went away from incoming heavier tanks?

Upvote 0
Don't forget the incredibly awesome BT series! Those were by far best for the speedy deception, distraction and generally annoying roles.

BT-8 had a 45mm main gun while the BT-7A had a 76.2, both could reach speeds of 86 km/h, they were pretty lightly armoured of course about 22mm, but just kickarse in so many ways. My friend and I would make maps on Panzer Commander for the very purpose of creating jumps for the BT. That little sob can fly. :D I would drool if we could have these in RO.

Also it should be noted that the series never really had any military failures. Against the Italians and Germans in Spain, against the Japanese, the thing kicked all the opposition with ease. Even in Finland, in totally inappropriate terrain they performed rather well. Unfortunately when 1941 came along, everything was lost in great quantities and the T-34 pretty much replaced the BT in priority of production, making them quite rare after 1942.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Don't forget the incredibly awesome BT series! Those were by far best for the speedy deception, distraction and generally annoying roles.

BT-8 had a 45mm main gun while the BT-7A had a 76.2, both could reach speeds of 86 km/h, they were pretty lightly armoured of course about 22mm, but just kickarse in so many ways. My friend and I would make maps on Panzer Commander for the very purpose of creating jumps for the BT. That little sob can fly. :D I would drool if we could have these in RO.

Also it should be noted that the series never really had any military failures. Against the Italians and Germans in Spain, against the Japanese, the thing kicked all the opposition with ease. Even in Finland, in totally inappropriate terrain they performed rather well. Unfortunately when 1941 came along, everything was lost in great quantities and the T-34 pretty much replaced the BT in priority of production, making them quite rare after 1942.

Well, BT was "flying" fast when it's tracks were worn off and then it was just another apc like BA's. There were quite often problems during off-road drive because the track(s) fell off rather easily from wheels.

In spain and japan enemy had even lighter tanks so BT-series 45mm gun out-classed it's enemies. In Finland BT's didn't have ANY success, maybe those tanks technically "stayd in one piece" until getting killed by finnish AT-weapons.

Tank design was replaced by T34 so I don't think it was bad idea to draw BT-series from production.

Upvote 0
I think the T-60 is good on this map, and have seen how easy it is to take out the Pz. III because your shots never seem to bounce in that little tank. But, when I am infantry, usually AT soldat, I have never seen a T-60 domination of the map, I, or one of my kammeraden always sneak up on the standing still T-60. Nobody ever seems to use it to its full potential.

Upvote 0
A competent Panzer III tank commander will make mincemeat of you.

If he misses that first shot, or if the first shot doesn't kill you right away he is dead. All you have to do is stop spin the turret and fire off 6 or 7 rounds at him, KABOOM.

Then, by definition, he's not a competent gunner.
If you don't know where to shoot, then a T-60 will survive the first shot.
But that's thing, isn't it. Knowing your enemy.

I do think the PzIII is at a dis-advantage. For a head-on shot, I think the driver's view slit is the weakest spot. And for the side shots, if I can see the little cross on the side, I aim for that.

Upvote 0
Well the fact of the matter is that it is often very difficult for a tank to hit the T60, even for a good gunner, especially with any kind of accuracy for specific points. The T60 is moving pretty fast, and the map is such that you won't be more than 100 m away. The only way to get a dead shot is to surpise it while it's doing something else or to target it from far away before it sees you and goes for cover. So the tank T60 will be bumping up and down over hills and if he's close you can't spin your turret fast enough to keep up with it. You could try to wait for it to stop, but then it can take pot shots at you while it runs circles around you.

Yeah, on a big open map the T60 would be Panzer food, but with all the trees and hills and ditches and farms on Hedgehog it is king. My proof is that by using the T60, Hedgehog is the only map that I can get 3 digit scores on.

Upvote 0
Well, BT was "flying" fast when it's tracks were worn off and then it was just another apc like BA's. There were quite often problems during off-road drive because the track(s) fell off rather easily from wheels.

In spain and japan enemy had even lighter tanks so BT-series 45mm gun out-classed it's enemies. In Finland BT's didn't have ANY success, maybe those tanks technically "stayd in one piece" until getting killed by finnish AT-weapons.

Tank design was replaced by T34 so I don't think it was bad idea to draw BT-series from production.

Oh i'm not disagreeing with pulling it from production, i'm just saying it wasn't pulled because it was a failed design. The T-34 was just far more effective in more situations. For it's role though, the BT did very well. Finland wasn't it's role, as history proves.

Upvote 0