• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Defensive smoke grenade use

thecaptain_ps

Mar 12, 2006
I've seen a lot of topics berating smoke grenades when on the attack, so I figure I'll start a topic about their merits for defenders.

I've found, even on the tight infantry maps like odessa or Krazni, that throwing smoke grenades on the positions the attackers normally use as springpoints for their attacks can help the defenders: the attackers can't take cover and shoot back as they traditionally can (like, the areas of sandbags facing the tower on odessa), they're forced to run through the smoke into the open. Heh heh heh.

Anyone found any neat unconventional uses for smoke?

In basovka Enemy smokes were our friend, when i played as a russian strelok. When germans get the upper position in attacking AT pos.(they shoot more of us than we do them). They threw couple of smokes infront of the trenches. Well hell, 4 germans got into trenches but... They couldn't shoot us from their shooting positions. So the 4 guys were pretty alone in trenches and I actually(that word again) stabbed 3 guys from there. One got plugged by another guy. Germans never got even the first cap point, that 4 man rush was their best try.

Most of the time smoke can be real pain in the ass for defenders, but sometimes it helps defenders to get the superiour firestatus and help recover the defensive positions.

Upvote 0
Yes, I second...er, third that: throw smoke on the enemy. At first when I used smoke I thought I should put it on us & where we come from. Then on LyesKrovy I found it was far easier to throw smoke where the enemy is sitting & defending. It totally ruins their bunkers, etc. Just the opposite, on LyesKrovy as defense, I throw it on that ruined house where they snipe from & it totaly ruins that spot so they are forced to advance out into the open.

If it's a very far strech we have to run as infantry then I will put smoke down for us to run through. This happens maybe some on the tank maps.

Doolittle

Upvote 0
I use to smoke in front of positions that I know is commonly used for suppressive fire.
Ie Mg and sniper positions.

At Konigsplatz the russian tanks use to move to the right flank (for the germans) and cut off their approach to the monument.
Putting a couple of smokies between the approach and them forces them to reposition.
Most of the tankers then moves in closer to get passed the smoke where they at the sudden move into the range of the Panzerfaust :D

Smoke = deception & conseilment

Upvote 0
Smoke makes excellent cover for your spawn exits on Odessa, especially for the tower. If the Russians are capping it and covering the street down to your spawn, throw a smoke between spawn and the tower. You can get your guys a free trip into the cap zone, without being shot by all the Russian rifles. This probably works for the hq as well.

Upvote 0
As Germans it works great to create a bottleneck. Have the MGs set up behind where you're going to smoke, smoke the area (keep the commander handy to smoke it again when the first one starts to dissapate) and send assault troops on a flanking move with half the riflemen. The other half take up positions to cover smaller avenues of advance and cover the MG in case anyone sticks their head through without the MGs noticing.

Harder to do with the Ruskies since we (yes, I said we! FOR ZE MUDDERLANz!) don't have as many rounds barking out of our MGs, but still possible.

Upvote 0
Smoking up machinegun nests/sniper roosts, using it to block the enemies view into spawn exits (like foiling the common MG42 set up aiming at the back doors on Krasni), even plopping one onto the enmies line of advance on darker maps so they're silouetted as they exit the smoke.

There are tons of defensive uses for smoke, which is why i get annoyed when I see people just wasting them.

Upvote 0