• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 as Free2Play

slightlymad

Jun 2, 2012
now that ro2 is out and rising storm coming soon, what do you guys think about ro1 being released as a free to play. I dont think tripwire make money with ro1 anymore so i dont really see a big reason why it couldn't be released as free2play. Its a classic and kinda sad that it's slowly dying. It doesn't deserve such a miserable death, f2p would bring a lot of new players, making ro1 alive for some more time.

I own both ro1 and ro2, so this is just a thought, because i really like ro1...to me its the best online fps. Watcha think?

Reactions: Teq
Agreed 100%

Agreed 100%

I agree totally. It is fading away slowly and if it was made free it would immediately get many new players who could also make mods or addons and keep it alive. I'm making an important educational and historical mod and it would make it a lot more accessible, even though I am doing it non-profit in the first place.

RO is my favorite FPS, any other one just doesn't compare. I am always surprised why it wasn't much much bigger. All I can think why is because only the bigger companies can afford huge marketing campaigns. I wonder what the developers think about this idea. I hope people keep playing it forever! :)

Upvote 0
.RO is my favorite FPS, any other one just doesn't compare. I am always surprised why it wasn't much much bigger. All I can think why is because only the bigger companies can afford huge marketing campaigns. I wonder what the developers think about this idea. I hope people keep playing it forever! :)

The learning curve. Hard game to master. I would love getting back into ro1 during the evening est time. Especially the tanking aspect of it.

Upvote 0
Yeah well, the people dissing this idea in the other thread don't understand the 'long game' when it comes to doing business and built in customers (aka community). They hear the word 'free' and they become all indignant. No one is buying Ostfront at this point and significant numbers never will, so here you have an opportunity to grace the greater gaming community with what is considered an FPS quasi-classic (quasi only in the sense that it wasnt ever a mainstream title). Believe it or not there are a ton of gamers out there who don't know who Tripwire is and have never played any of their games. Making this well established title, long past it's glory days, free to play can only widen their exposure. It needs to be looked at as the opportunity it is instead of being left to rot because of some fear it would detract from RO2; which, quite frankly, is some serious short term thinking (hell, RO2 as a whole from top to bottom is a prime example of repeated short term thinking, but that's my personal opinion which I'll keep to myself and not elaborate on further).

If Ost were to become F2P they'd first have to fix the suspiciously persisting broken server browser..

Upvote 0
How could ANYONE not want RO1 to be free? How could anyone not see the necessity of it?!

This is my only post on this forum. I have made a similar post in the Steam RO1 forum.

RO1 and Darkest Hour are amazing games that offer a top notch and completely unique gaming experience. DH is most likely my favorite online game of all time, and in my opinion surpasses anything any more modern shooter has been able to offer. The level of intensity, realism, teamwork and historical accuracy is staggering. These two great games are DYING due to low population.

For all realistic purposes, RO is already dead. The server browser reveals about 20 people over about 5 servers. You cannot have a reasonable game. Anyone buying RO off of Steam is going to be furious when they realize they have bought a game with an inadequate population to support it.

DH is not yet dead. Thanks to the 29th and other die hards you can still find a 60 person server for several hours on any given day.. For most of the day, you won't find a 10 person population in any server. It's sad. This situation really developed when a Tripwire patch disabled the server browser for hundreds(?) or more DH players, myself included. I couldn't play for about 6 months despite many reinstallations and it was widely reported.

I'm not here to complain. I'm here to appeal to Tripwire to make RO1 and by extension DH free, or free for those who have purchased Killing Floor, RO2 or Rising Storm. Feel free to insert ads for any of those games into the boot up or loading screens of RO and DH - no one would mind if it meant have a bustling population of fellow gamers to populate the servers.

If free is out of the question then permanently crash the price down to something trifling and also put in the ads. If RO was $1.99 regularly on Steam then that would still be effective in boosting the population.

Something must be done. RO is the game that MADE Tripwire. Without RO they wouldn't be a professional enterprise like they are today. Imagine all the goodwill from the gaming community when they boot up the AMAZING experience that RO and DH are for the very first time. They'll instantly want to buy your other products and hold your company in high regard.

Upvote 0
Maybe it doesn't need to be free,but cheaper. I gave it a try yesterday because of the steam sale. 5 euros is okay..I mean that's less than 2 beers here in Munich and I didn't want to go out anyways. For that little money I really had an extremely funny evening. I know 10 euros isn't much either, but people tend to become miserly very quickly (me included).

I also don't know wether too many people would stay when the game is free 2 play. I've played Ro2 extensively and was curios about the predecessor and to speak frankly, without the nostalgia bonus the game simply feels quite 'old'.

What I(! this doesn't mean that every new Ro2 player thinks the same) did like was:

++++weapons. A huge plus! It's so much harder to shoot someone in Ro1/DH. This makes the firefights more interessting and you don't get killed out of freaking nowhere all the time, because not everyone on the battlefield automatically has the shooting skills of Simo H

Upvote 0
For the love of god, please release the game for free on Steam.

It will end up making you much money when people buy RO2 on the strength of their new, free RO1 game. The people who see "Red Orchestra Now Free On Steam" as a PCgamer.com headline will think WOW TRIPWIRE IS AWESOME as they install and play the game, and they'll grow interested in your other titles.

Give the people free or as nearly free Ro1 as you can manage! Throw it in a humble bundle with multiple keys per donation!

Upvote 0