• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dont melt away my magazines!

Jokerman

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2006
I know it has been discussed to death but I wanna offer a minor improvement that will diminsh a little the frustration caused.
We're talking of course bout the notorious pick-up system.

Im usualy a Russian rifleman (by choice- most of the time Im the first on a map) who love to goof around with STGs every now and again.
I cant count the times I picked up the stg and the ammo has vanished before my eyes- so Im standing like a clown with a broom.

How hard can it be to code an "If" command to make the damned ammo stay for another 10 sec if I took its gun?

No, assigning every box of ammo to the weapon it was used for, and then watching if it gets picked up would create a lot more load than simply making all of them stay a bit longer.

I think they are already linked somehow in the code as they are two "objects" that were generated at the same time, probably by the same command line, but I really have no authority in these matters.

All Im saying is - if its easily done than its worth doing. A whole revamp of the system should be made, but this could help relieve some agonies in the meanwhile. Again- only of its an easy fit.

Upvote 0
I think they are already linked somehow in the code as they are two "objects" that were generated at the same time, probably by the same command line, but I really have no authority in these matters.

All Im saying is - if its easily done than its worth doing. A whole revamp of the system should be made, but this could help relieve some agonies in the meanwhile. Again- only of its an easy fit.

They probably aren't linked, i mean when you drop your weapon and ammo it's like /createobject:[yourweapon] at X: Y: Z: (coordinates) and it puts the model there, then it repeats with the ammo. I don't think the engine connects them in any way just becouse the same guy carried them, it would be overly complicated for no benefit whatsoever. I might be wrong, so if i am please someone enlighten me.

Upvote 0
I think that they would have to be linked. This is because when the magazine gets dropped, the amount of ammo inside it would still have to correspond with what it was prior to being dropped. I would think that if it just recreated the magazines on the ground that they would be full again, which they aren't. So they must be linked in some way. Also when a gun is dropped that has been modified (bayonet attached, alt fire on STG-44) it is still modified when picked back up.

Upvote 0
I think that they would have to be linked. This is because when the magazine gets dropped, the amount of ammo inside it would still have to correspond with what it was prior to being dropped. I would think that if it just recreated the magazines on the ground that they would be full again, which they aren't. So they must be linked in some way. Also when a gun is dropped that has been modified (bayonet attached, alt fire on STG-44) it is still modified when picked back up.

Hmm good points there. I would still prefer if every magazine simplay stayed longer though.

Upvote 0
i would like to see the guns the ammo and the bodies stay longer. and like everyone i want to stop auto dropping weapons. juggeling weapons on the ground sucks when you just want to pick up a nade and end up tossing your rifle in the pile. whoever thought changing the old drop system was a good idea should have some sense knocked into them. maybe make them use this weapon pick up system every day for a couple hours or something. just trying to pick up one thing out of a pile of junk someone drops. cant imagine why they changed the old system of needing to drop your weapon to pick up another. just because they changed the way the ammo dropped.

Upvote 0