• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Reload System Idea

horendus

Jul 4, 2007
Anyone whos played Gears of War would know what im talking about as its in that game and i think it would work VERY well in in RO.

How about when you hit reload a small animation in the HUD or whatever pops up and a bar runs across a line indicating the time to reload.

(see doddy diagram below)

DODGY DIAGRAM

Hit reload and this apears (obvisuly all pretty, maybe bullets or watever)

1second 1.2second 1.4second 1.6second 1.8seconds

-[]------- --[]------ ---[]------ ----[]------ ------[]-----

(note those diagrams represent 1 animated sequence of that bar moving)

Obvously i havnt timed the exact reload times right but the time it takes for the bar to go from one side to the other is the time it takes for the weapon to reload normally

Moving on

At a certain point on this reload line theres a marker, representing where you have to press reload again IF you want to try and do a QUCIK RELOAD.

If you manage to hit reload again at the right time you will reload faster than usual

IF you try for the quick reload and miss time it you JAM YOUR GUN or DROP THAT CLIP or simply take longer than usual to reload the gun.

IF you just hit reload like normal you get your standard reload.

Just adds something cool and new to play with and would be hella addictive :p

Pluss it (kinda) simulates the frantik attempts of a soldier who knows they need to reload quickly but also brings the element of reloading to quickly means you could screw the reload up.

Feel free to flame or what ever.

I think that something like this (read: some ability to determine how well the avater reloads based on actual user interaction) is a good idea.. I however don't like the particular impmentation that a console game would have... a slider bar with ticks on it seems like it would just break the imerssion factor for me with, as stated, an unrelated mini-game.

Breaking up the reloads like this would also mean that the reload animations would have to be retooled (currently, it's one fluid animation for the entire reload process, it would have to be chopped up for the 'reload phases')...

Unfortunately I don't have much brainstorming space available for thinking of a few good ways of implementing this.. to busy with work and MN stuff..

Upvote 0
We wouldn't get the damage bonuses like in Gears though?

In all seriousness, I think it would be a pretty nifty feature. Also like how it doesn't force people to use it. If you just hit reload, you get a normal speed reload. Only when you try it, do the end effects happen.

However neat the idea is though, I'd rather see more new maps, units, weapons, vehicles, countries.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't. There are plenty of community-made maps and mods coming out for RO that add content. What the RO devs need to do is work on small subtle gameplay effects just like this one that add just that much to the game. Small details are what could make this game feel so much more polished and smooth, rather than how it feels right now. It currently still feels like a rough modification to another game. Perhaps that just feels that way because I've been playing since UT2k4 days...

anyway I agree fully with this idea. I just think there needs to be a way to keep it off the HUD somehow. Adding more elements to the HUD is just what this game doesn't need. :)

Upvote 0
I wouldn't. There are plenty of community-made maps and mods coming out for RO that add content. What the RO devs need to do is work on small subtle gameplay effects just like this one that add just that much to the game. Small details are what could make this game feel so much more polished and smooth, rather than how it feels right now. It currently still feels like a rough modification to another game. Perhaps that just feels that way because I've been playing since UT2k4 days...

anyway I agree fully with this idea. I just think there needs to be a way to keep it off the HUD somehow. Adding more elements to the HUD is just what this game doesn't need. :)

I've been playing sine the ut2k3 days:p, but thats neither here nor there. I do agree that RO is still a bit rough around the edges, and could use a lil bit of polish. But like someone above posted, a bar popping up to time your reload would break immersion. Also after thinking about it, Ro does need some small subtle changes, but copying GoW reload system isn't one of em. We need something unique.

Upvote 0
Is it authentic that a soldier reloads at the same speed no matter the situation he's in? I'm sure a trained soldier could finish reloading a bolt action rifle faster than the guy ingame can if he was in a hurry. From a realism perspective a way to reload faster is a good thing actually, but the way you would have to do it would have to be very well thought out and something we won't see in this game. Maybe RO2 could have a way to speed up your actions based on the threat the character feels he is in, like how many enemies are in view or something.

How about being able to choose when to speed up your reload by splitting the reload into sections, each with its own chance of failure depending on the weapon. So you press R to reload for a normal reload, then can choose to speed up certain parts of the reload if you want (during reload), each with its own chance of failure by pressing another button before the next section starts. Like trying to jam in a new clip would have a higher chance of failure than rushing the removal of one. Or rushing the final part (weapon cocking) would have a minimal chance of failure (your hand could slip, but it wouldn't be very likely, maybe 5% chance).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Personally, I don't really see any problem with the current reloading system, other than having separate reload animations for each of the G41's clips. Reloading wisely (i.e., behind cover) is the best way to keep your avatar alive. These suggestions for pressing multiple buttons to reload faster, splitting up the reload into sections, etc., would just make the game more complicated than it needs to be and go against RO's goal of having simplistic realism.

Upvote 0
Some excellent arguments here.

Some agree that a new, more hands on reloading system would bring much emerison to the game.

And others dissmiss the idea, beliveing that the reloading of a weapon on the battlefield should always be the same, regardless of the urgency of the situation at hand.

And thats fair enough....FPS have always done this....its very...standard

Although I still believe something truly unique for the reload system would bring much respect for the game.

Even if its simple.

A huge advancments in my books was the implimintaion of the user having to bolt the rifles after you fire it in RO.

This seemly small (and anoying to new players) feature is such an advancment in imerssion and realism, and really allows the player to capture the feeling of firing then running/ducking/meleing, with obviouse priority going to protectng ones self, not bolting when its not needed.

So what about reloading your other weapons?

If a simple feature such as another click of your mouse after firing your rifle can bring so much abstract emersion to the battles at hand, imagine what a system where the player has some kind of choice in the prioity of reloading of his weapon?

It could bring new element of chaos and urgency to the battlefield of RO.

After having a good think about my original (Non-Original) idea, it is kind of mini-game ish, however the idea of having reload systems with a fundemental 3 teir outcome is still kinda exciting.

The 3 Tier system

Dont try to "Quick-Load"

- Normal Reload take place.
- For situation where reloading is not urgent
- For new users still trying to learn the basic mechanics of the game and dont wish to complicate things furthur

Try for a "Quick-Load" and susceed

-"Quick-Load" takes place and player manages to reload his weapon quicker than usual
- Used when in a situation where the speed of your reload can determin the outcome of the situation
- For more advanced player looking looking to exploit a quicker reload system when needed

Try for a "Quick-Load" and fail

- Player has failed to "Quick-Load" his weapon and will now have to deal with the consequesces of a failed reload. (clip drop? Longer reload time?)

Implementing a 3 Tier Reload system would require alot of brain stroming and woud have to consist of:

- A set of governing rules to determine the mechanics of a "Quick-Load" system (Animations theory, game implentation)

- A set of rules governing the the outcome of the "Quick-Load" attempts

(What happend when you fail or sucseed exacly)

- An idea on how to determine the success of a "Quick-Load" attempt

(how do you determine if a "Quick-Load" has been susscesful? Ideas on a system to do so, needs extreme creativity and thinking outside of box)

This would take alot of carful thought!!

PLEASE MAKE SUGGESTIONS!

Final Notes
If such a system was to be implementing it MUST be based on SKILL not LUCK, as sussesful online games never have luck/randomness systems that direclty effect a player basic abilities.

Although feel free to quote examples of this ;P

Thats why I dont belive a random gun jam or dead grandade system would work. Unless player interaction was some how involved.

Online games require relatively even grounds for player to play on as it is scored and compeditive, and needs "fair rules"

As always feel free to flame and shut down all of this as everyone is entitiled to there opinion.

Upvote 0