• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Showing voice commands

Keystone

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 25, 2007
When I first time played RO, it very surprised me that any commands are not showing anywhere. Playing for example enemy territory, there was very good supporting to each other in the team. If you wanted ammo, someone it almost always gave you, if you needed medic, he also was always coming. And supporting in team was so good in enemy territory beacuse there was good solution with radar, and if someone said that need something, then it was instantly showing point in radar. Also there was sign overhead as a screamer, that also was useful and easy to recognise who is saying that all. The same it's in call of duty, there are signs as a screamer and also in radar is showing that someone is saying for example "follow me", very often someone was listen to him. But here in RO when I played it first time I was very disappointed. Any commands like "follow me", "need panzerfaust", "need ammo" (ofcourse it's showing on map if you say it being mg gunner but it's very rarely that someone will look at it and will find you by this sign on map) are just completely useless... All the time they are saying, ahtung panzer! but nobody don't know where come is he saying, and beacuse of that, everybody don't care about that someone is saying something except for "need help at ...". I don't know even what for those voice commands are in RO beacuse now are just only for hearing it... But in call of duty was very useful when someone was saying for example "infantry spotted" and then some other soldiers were instantly coming to that place where is enemy beacuse they knew where come is he saying... Obviously in real, soldiers didn't have some radars with points but they were all the time communicating each other. They knew where come someone is saying for example "ahtung panzer" and then other soldiers who were a little bit away from them were immadietly coming there with panzerfausts. And radar with points and screamer overhead would simulate this. Also I don't like this issue in RO that someone is saying something 1000m away from you and you can hear it, this is unrealistic.

Last edited:
There are certain helpful things to do when communicating that can help everyone.

One would be to put something up that everyone can read that shares these points so that maybe, just maybe, that awareness would constitute a use and understanding on the field.

These items would be to begin to establish regular and understandable ways of communicating...

Example, on danzig, this one guy communicated to me by calling out my name and saying to move forward...but where? I noticed his name and started looking around, and behold, the guy was pointing his rifle at me, which caused me pause to identify him and then I knew it was him who spoke to me. I then moved up and followed the subsequent command to push forward.

Also, the use of rally point, and the map in general to see where everyone is fighting currently could be associated with the point of reference when people are asking for help. If people are asking for help and they do not identify where they are, and the map is not showing a place of conflict (cap zone with rifles crossed), then what was the point?

Also, a little awareness of your surroundings before running head long into a snipers bullet would help to identify initial placement of the MG so as to know the general where-abouts of where he last was, at least to determine if you should even take the time to move to that location to reload him.

Another would be for the MG to annouce his general position when he sets up, and then announced when they move up to another position.

The realistic measure, is that even in those war time situations (no combat) it was very easy to tell who might have been talking to you, but when the bullets start flying, it's much harder.

Also, another thing, is no one is using the map co-ordinates (not many anyways) for pin pointing their position. When it is used, it's amazing how much easier it is to back someone up in a pinch...if your near the area.

The real key to communications is realizing that it goes both ways, and as long as people are attempting to communicate on the fly, there will be little use for it as the communication will often be done without concideration for other's understanding it in the first place.

So, next time someone says they need something, ask them where they are, if it's too late, they should not have gone in that fast and alone to capture an objective that can not even be captured do to lack of communication in the first place.

It's amazing.

I personally love the fact that unless someone is specific or uses commonalities, like coordinates, cap zones by name, or something easily identifable, that I can't help them because they are using quick keys or are in the heat of battle and can not commincate effectively...it reminds me of a paniced scream...

"What the Hell am I doing Out here by myself...I should have communicated my intentions to begin with instead of expecting help in a position that no one knows about nor knew I was there to begin with...." and then...

"...Quick get to the cap zone!!!" uh, which one...we are pinned down here, sorry, we can't help you, the enemy mounted a counter-attack and we are stuck here... "I don't care your in-ability to play the way I do, just get in the cap-zone!!!"

(peers around himself intently)

Uh, yeah, ok then.

Oh, P.S. not to mention that all of a sudden everyone starts communicating effectively, then there will be the, oh crap, I have to try and keep track of 25 people on my side and where they are...screw it, BANZAI!!!!!

Upvote 0
Example, on danzig, this one guy communicated to me by calling out my name and saying to move forward...but where? I noticed his name and started looking around, and behold, the guy was pointing his rifle at me, which caused me pause to identify him and then I knew it was him who spoke to me. I then moved up and followed the subsequent command to push forward.

Yeah but this happen very rarely. But if there was some sign overhead like in call of duty, everybody would be then more observant to any voice commands. If I would be defending being next to my teammate, and if he would say "enemy spotted", I would instantly know that he spotted something, But if I hear "infantry spotted" in RO, it's take us too long time to check is it saying my teammate who is near to me. So I never care about their alerts.

Also, the use of rally point, and the map in general to see where everyone is fighting currently could be associated with the point of reference when people are asking for help. If people are asking for help and they do not identify where they are, and the map is not showing a place of conflict (cap zone with rifles crossed), then what was the point?

That rally point doesn't give us so many information. Maybe sometimes squad leader are putting that rally point on some flag, but already there are everybody attacking it so it's not needed, besides nobody is listen to this rally point that he must be there.

The realistic measure, is that even in those war time situations (no combat) it was very easy to tell who might have been talking to you, but when the bullets start flying, it's much harder.

But even being pinned, it was possible, besides this is only a game, communicating each other in team is very important, but here in RO you don't know if for example your teammate is in other building next to you and he is requesting panzerfausts beacuse he spotted a tank, and you never know where come is he saying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For the love of god, stop trying to turn RO into something it is not.
If CoD wants to have stupid teamsigns, then so be it, but that is not RO.
There are a few things that make RO so great, 1 being the fact that RO is one of the most 'realistic' online shooters, 2 being the immersion.
When you put in stuff soldiers do not see in real life, this will break immersion.
Now try and google some interviews up of veterans who said they 'made that great victory because it was so easy to spot their commander from between all the other men because of the nice pop-up'.

IMO, voice commands are indicated on most maps clearly enough (except for beta custom ones, mostly), so you can see the location it is coming from.
Then, if you put some logic to work you could make out the simple fact that when someone yells ADVANCE near Langermarkt, the obvious thing to do is charge the Langermarkt.

HOWEVER, I agree things could be made more easy.
But in this case, team icons are NOT the way to go. 3d voice commands are.

Upvote 0
If you want so realism so that issue that you can hear someone who is 1000m from you, it also shouldn't be. Besides there is already name overhead on each soldier - this is also unrealistic. It doesn't need to put some big screamer, I know that screamer overhead would looks a little bit stupid. But for example name overhead could for example change color, or be more light while saying voice command. Also in radar could be showing points - this wouldn't looks so stupid.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you want so realism so that issue that you can hear someone who is 1000m from you, it also shouldn't be. Besides there is already name overhead on each soldier - this is also unrealistic. It doesn't need to put some big screamer, I know that screamer overhead would looks a little bit stupid. But for example name overhead could for example change color, or be more light while saying voice command. Also in radar could be showing points - this wouldn't looks so stupid.

I never said i liked the voice command system the way it is now, while your being able to hear everything.
That's why i said the 3d voice commands would be better.

Upvote 0
The truth is that voice commands in RO is only for hearing except for need help at ..., need ammo (if you are MG gunner), and attack something but this nobody is listen, squad leader is saying for example "attack garage", but already everybody is attacking it, this is just only for hearing it, completely useless. Any commands like ahtung panzer, follow me is useless beacuse you don't know where come is he saying, some light name while saying or points on radar would simulate real communicating on battlefield, beacuse there isn't any other way, it never will happen that you'll see by his mouth that he is saying to you. Also even with 3D sound it won't be so good, in real is different sound in exactly room which you are, and different sound which is from another room, or somewhere outside.

Upvote 0
One more idea

One more idea

When someone yells "sniper" or "MG position", it does not help. Of course, there's got to be a sniper SOMEWHERE if there is such a role at the moment.
But there is a solution :) Remember how enemy units were called out (sorry if there's a mistake in grammer) in Flashpoint? "Enemy... Tank... 3 o'clock... 500!" All was clear and helpful. We could aim through the sights and press the USE buttone to report an enemy automatically (of course, with hearing distance 50-100m). What do you think about it?

Upvote 0
Also I don't understand why tank voice commands are onle hearing inside the tank. In war there were radios in each tank (except for example early T34/76) so tank crewmans could communicate together. I'm often playing with somebody that he's following me in another tank and very often I need to say for example turn right, forward etc. - there should be possibility also to say it to another tanks. Also I was very often using "Go To for example Ruins" beacuse this was only 1 voice command that could hear everybody but now from recent update it can hear only teammate whose is in my tank, what for they changed that.

Upvote 0
3d sound is not enough, in real if someone was saying to you "follow me" you would know that he is saying to you and to simulate this it just need some screamer overhead like in call of duty.
Two words: gesture animations

Gesture animations could do anything, from waving to show you should be followed, to seize fire, to even requesting ammunition.

3D voicecommands though, would be at least better then 2D voicecommands.

Upvote 0
I might like to see map coordinates instead of the locations we see now. Sometimes an MGer will ask for ammo and his displayed location covers almost a quarter of the map. It can be impossible to search that whole area, under fire, trying to get ammo to the MG. Following the sound helps but if he's low on ammo he's usually shooting less to conserve what he has.

Upvote 0
something else:

i would be great if text messages from a comander or at least inside of a tank could be displayed bigger and not only between the normal chat. especially inside the tank the messages should be displayed like te "you picked up a panzerfaust" or the "your weapon was shot out of your hand". at least the standard commands like "halt" should be displayed in this form. this would maybe help teamtanking.

mfg Arnold

Upvote 0