• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Setname" command no longer functioning

Laggy

Grizzled Veteran
May 23, 2013
Hello there,

this is in regards with the latest "Armoured Assault" update where the command "setname <anything>" is no longer functioning.

The method above is used so one can display their full name without being cut off due to the character limit on names, not a serious bug but doubt it was intentional. If it was why?

Thanks,
Laggy

Setname command has been important for the clan community to get beyond +20 characters limit. I have a feeling it was because of the hackers who kept changing names without any limits?

Anyways, if that was the reason, here is my suggestion how to fix it:

A) Increase games character limit to 32
B) In addition to A, implement a clan tag feature into the options so that a player can add whatever clan tag either front of their name or back of their

Another issue is that at least anyone with "/" in their name (Any Technician rank, like my in-game name T/5 Tuomainen [29th ID]) has their name forced to "ROPlayer15152". Before update it was "Player212846". By using setname command (and by having matching Steam friends name), you've been able to fix your name. Now, with current system, I'm forever "ROPlayer22124" :(

Hopefully these gets addressed asap. Thank you :IS2:

Upvote 0
This change was made because of hackers exploiting the function in order to circumvent being vote kicked from servers. While this was never an officially supported feature it's unfortunate that a few bad players had to ruin it for everyone by forcing us to close potential exploits.

Edit: I'll attempt to keep you updated if we make any plans to change this functionality or increase the character limit in the future.

Upvote 0
I spoke with [TW] Shuu about it and he came up with the same idea as Tman mentioned: increase the games native character limit for names.

It is known that the game CAN support names above 20 characters as we discovered via the setname command, which when used changed my cutoff name: "SSgt. Lagenbrunner [" to "SSgt. Lagenbrunner [29th ID]". While it is inconvenient that cheaters caused this disruption, the solution can be easily implemented and will eliminate the legitimate needs for the setname command.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This change was made because of hackers exploiting the function in order to circumvent being vote kicked from servers. While this was never an officially supported feature it's unfortunate that a few bad players had to ruin it for everyone by forcing us to close potential exploits.

Edit: I'll attempt to keep you updated if we make any plans to change this functionality or increase the character limit in the future.
And what about the "/" issue? I'm stuck as "ROPlayer1047"?

Upvote 0
Than how about increasing the character limit? or make it so that you can only change your name once. i luckily dont have this issue, but yeah, this pretty much will ruin the clan/unit community as they now cannot change their names AND make it easier for the hackers to get away with it as their names will be player1234 and you will not know their steam profile name!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah this is a pretty big issue for us in the 29th. Just inside the 29th we have 102 active members who now have to find alternative names and another 159 occasional players who are going to have these issues. It seems like it's something that would affect quite a large amount of people and I hope to see an expansion of the character limit or another solution to the name changes affecting server administration (perhaps allowing sorting players by IP/ROID instead of alphabetically would allow admins to see who is changing names more easily in webadmin).

Upvote 0

Any possible dates to hear any possible solutions of this kind of problem? I am pretty sure this problem is now faced by not only the clan members but single players as well, so it should be found anything to satisfy you and us as well.

Upvote 0
The cause for change is understandable, but I think that the way this becomes a hindrance to honest, dedicated players who seek to get the most out of their experience with the game can be a big con.

Hope this can get sorted in the future.

also, please bring us an RO3 on Unreal Engine 4. Thanks.

:IS2::IS2:

Upvote 0

Any possible dates to get any possible solutions of this kind of problem? It affects not only the clan members but single players as well, so we can't speak about the minority here at all-and should find a solution to satisfy either you or us.

Upvote 0
(perhaps allowing sorting players by IP/ROID instead of alphabetically would allow admins to see who is changing names more easily in webadmin).

That could've been a solution before they disabled the command. :p

That also leads me to a question, whenever I used the setname command the general feedback from the console was "x changed their name to y" (y = whatever was inputted following setname) followed by the line "y has changed their name to z" (z = full name uncut by native 20 character limit)

Meaning your name can't actually change with this command? In addition the game takes your steam name ON launch of the game and changing your steam name midgame and then using setname has never worked. Hmmm...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Same.

My screenname contains the clantag characters ":(". I always have to correct it in-game using "setname". Though i understand the need to remove this command, i'm now forever Player 4112xx.

@StuntLionRooster, see if you can allow some "/ ( :"-like characters in a name. That would fix this once and for all too.

Upvote 0
There's been threads before about the forbidden characters and TW didn't do or say anything. I doubt now, with KF2 in the making, TW with allocate a coder for this -apparently- minor issue.

But with X-Mas coming and everybody with warmth in their hearts who knows, TW will think of the Clans.

Upvote 0