• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS High Ping/Lag on every server

Can you guys look in the device manager what the actual network device is you guys are using (if on wireless your wireless card / if on wired your wired card).

Im wondering if this issue primarily occurs with a certain brand or model or all of them, the same issue could very likely happen on servers. From what it sounds the cpu for the RO game takes so many resources that the network card doesn't have enough leeway to correctly operate.

Upvote 0
Can you guys look in the device manager what the actual network device is you guys are using (if on wireless your wireless card / if on wired your wired card).

Im wondering if this issue primarily occurs with a certain brand or model or all of them, the same issue could very likely happen on servers. From what it sounds the cpu for the RO game takes so many resources that the network card doesn't have enough leeway to correctly operate.

im using
motherboard: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_PRO_REV_31/#specifications
router http://www.dlink.com/us/en/home-sol...ys/dsl-2680-wireless-n-150-adsl2--home-router
wireless is OFF i use wired

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:cool:

I keep reading this stuff, but I and most the regulars I am on line with are not experiencing this ping issue. High ping is an indication of latency. Latency can be a product of so many things that I could make a half-page list. The last thing I would look at if ping became an issue would be software code. I would examine the number of router hops to the destination server. If you are in excess of ten or approaching 16 you are in trouble. Find another server. The next thing to examine is your broadband. If you are not running in excess of 1.544 MB/s you may as well be using a telegraph key in 2013. How about regional router congestion? Try shifting your data path. A lot of folks don't realize they can shift steam data routing in the steam settings to home through other major cities. I'm not certain if there is benefit regarding transit of in-game data packets, but there may be.

Upvote 0

is this what you're looking for?
Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) i'm running wired to a net gear router connected to a Motorola surfboard modem.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    36.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
notice many people with high ping

notice many people with high ping

I never used to have ping issues with Ro2 before Rising Storm came out. My ping was always below 100ms. Now, even joining old favorite servers my ping is up to 160?

I tried the Priority fix and this did not seem to help, or if it did, not noticeably.

Many servers I'll see people with pings ranging from 76 into the hundreds.

Love the game but it would be even better with low, responsive ping for everyone.

Specs: quad-core I7, Nvidia 650m

Upvote 0
My main goal is to get a set of system specs, allowing me to hopefully look for a common trend based on systems.

Hi there, I've attached my dxdiag file to this post. It seems to happen when there are more than 40 or so players in a server at a time, not only will peoples ping be higher than they should be but the server will spike quite frequently.

This affects everybody in the server and in multiple servers with more than 40 or so players (32 player servers seem to be fine). I'm playing on Australian servers by the way and I've experienced the same issue with about 5 of them.

Over at GoN they are saying this is a game issue, not a server issue. You can see a thread about it here, although you will need to register to be able to see it I think.

Thanks for looking into this problem.

Attachments

• TotalEclipse_DxDiag.txt
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
i found a fix for my ping (160-200 ms)
i set the priority "below normal" for rogame.exe process, now my ping is always 80ms with no fps change (i run the game @ 62 fps ultra settings)

Good one, i will try it to see if i see difference :)

Edit, doesn`t work for me. But it doesn`t matter, there are enough servers to choose.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i found a fix for my ping (160-200 ms)
i set the priority "below normal" for rogame.exe process, now my ping is always 80ms with no fps change (i run the game @ 62 fps ultra settings)

BUMP for goodness.

Had reasonable pings but tried this and it certainly seems to lower the pings displayed in the server browser window. Wireless connection.

Dxdiag.txt attached run on 64-bit version of dxdiag.

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    28.5 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
When I join servers with 50+ slots and they are filled with real players pings are high. This is server-side, because game hosting companies aren't going out and buying E3-1270 cpus to facilitate for RO/RS, the higher slot servers have a hard time staying above water. The game server is meant for a single core, and when the processor usage peaks, starts sharing the processes over other cores. This is inefficient. There is also a really good post on this somewhere.

This is probably all that is being referred to. Are you all having this issue on servers with massive populations? From what I've seen, not even NFO has good enough gear to deal with 64 slots, so every "big" server plateaus, and a crap latency (for everybody) is the result.

Upvote 0