• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Error] Connecting to Game makes Steam Bring Up Dial-Up Connection:

Cpt-Praxius

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 12, 2005
Canadian in Australia
So I figured I would jump back into the game again after a few months and now every time I try to connect to a game, the game minimizes and Steam brings up the Dial-Up Connection window:

Sample.jpg

^ And when it minimizes RO2, I can't bring it back up & have to close the game through either right-clicking on the taskbar icon, or through task manager.

I have made 8 attempts and all 8 times this has occurred.

I have played other games in Steam in the last few days/weeks and it has only started to occur when I tried to play RO2.

If I act quickly and jump into a server without picking, I can connect and it shows the server welcome screen, but shortly after it minimizes again to the dial-up connection window..... if it minimizes when the server is still loading up, it locks up and I can't re-maximize the RO2 window.

In the above screenshot, you will notice in the dial-up window that I attempted to see if it would connect & make it do this automatically and go away, but that just made it hang & do nothing except screw up my internet until I closed the window.

Last edited:

You mean this?

As Paajtor says, do the following:
1)
In Steam, R-click on RO2-HOS, choose Properties/Local files/Verify Integrity of Game Cache. Only affected files (if any) will be downloaded.

2)
Navigate to: \Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config and delete the contents.
..and upon restart of the game, a new config-content is created....the files themselves are created by the game and not downloaded..
Then go through your settings again, incl. Controls.

Basically verify integrety of my RO2?

Upvote 0
try deleting the clientregistry.blob and make sure that RO is not blocked in any firewall or whatever.

That thing generally should pop up when you have no internet connection (aka when its looking for another connection).

• Deleted clientregistry.blob
• Started up Steam..... Updating.....

Error:
"Steam.exe (main exception): ERROR: Copying SteamNew.exe to Steam.exe failed, Win32 Error 32 "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process."

Well that's no fun.

• Started Steam up a 2nd time....
• Loaded.
• Verified Integrity of Game (Fragmentation is 0%, which makes sense as I just downloaded the game right before this all occurred)
• All files are good
• Confirmed Firewall Settings (it's permitted)
• Loading RO2 to attempt to play online:

Epic Fail!

Nope.... still popping up trying to fiddle with Dial-Up Connection.

• Loading another Steam Game to play online to determine if it is still just RO2..... (Killing Floor)
• Worked just fine.

And as mentioned before, i dabbled a bit with Mare Nostrum, Darkest Hour & RO1 a few days back with no issues online..... nor with any other games, so it seems specific to RO2.

The odd thing is that I have a stable internet connection, my system I'm typing this post with right now is the only one on the connection, and the only time my internet drops out is right at the very moment I allow that dial-up connection to attempt to connect..... the moment I cancel it, my internet connection returns to normal.

I have gotten into RO2 really quickly and it loaded up the map right before this dial-up thing popped up, I canceled the window and could jump back into the game to play, but my GUI gets screwed up in the process... but that's only if I rush into the first server I see.... if I don't, it pops up in the middle of connecting, the game minimizes and I can't bring it back up.

Specs:
Intel Core i5-2300 CPU @ 2.80GHz
8GB of RAM
Windows 7 64-Bit Operating System
Nvidia GeForce 210 - 4GB of RAM
1TB Internal HD
Hi-Speed Telstra (Aus) Internet, Hard Wired (not Wi-Fi)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
  • Open your Control Panel
  • Next select Internt Options
  • Select the Connections tab
  • Click on your Dial-Up connection (in the list box) and select Never Connect (don't know for sure how it's called, because my windows isn't english).

I'll check that out when I get home and see if that works... thanks.

Still a bit confused as to why RO2 would be the only thing to call that up though :confused:

Upvote 0
Praxius, did it work?

Sorry haven't been able to check the game in the last week to see if it fixed anything. Been busy with other things outside of the gaming life.

I would check it out right now, but I am now experiencing some more issues from the latest patch which are making the game completely unplayable offline or online.

(just posted another thread in the bug section about the above)

Once I get those things fixed, I'll be able to check online to see if the above I did earlier has fixed this bug.

Upvote 0