• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

Since the last two extra small patches the game got, my game now takes 3/4 minutes before it starts, for this amount of time you are just looking at the splash screen, after the big 8 gig patch it was like 1 minute. I looked at what the RO2.exe is doing in Task Manager and most of the time it's stuck on Not Responding.

The thing is, once the game has started, and i have not restarted the pc, the game now will launch as fast as it should. I restart the pc, and it does the same 3/4 minutes thing again, i have enabled the logging now and will post if i get one.

*EDIT* i have added the log!

Attachments

• Launch.log
    377.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Since the last two extra small patches the game got, my game now takes 3/4 minutes before it starts, for this amount of time you are just looking at the splash screen, after the big 8 gig patch it was like 1 minute. I looked at what the RO2.exe is doing in Task Manager and most of the time it's stuck on Not Responding.

The thing is, once the game has started, and i have not restarted the pc, the game now will launch as fast as it should. I restart the pc, and it does the same 3/4 minutes thing again, i have enabled the logging now and will post if i get one.

*EDIT* i have added the log!

The long splash screen has caused my game to stutter during gameplay at random times. If it loads quickly however this doesn't occur. Do you have Steam launching through the Windows Task Scheduler? Because I stagger all my launching programs but by removing Steam from the Task Scheduler and letting it launch itself at startup, the splash screen is loading to main menu really quickly now. A few days of testing may be necessary, but I've restarted my computer several times to test this and each time I've got the same results.

Edit: My splash screen and maps load very quickly since removing Steam from the Windows Task Scheduler. That was either the main culprit or the final straw on my system. See forum post http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=99561 for everything I've tried.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm crashing after the splash screen too. Here's what my Event Viewer says:

Faulting application name: rogame.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x5376dda0
Faulting module name: nvd3dum.dll_unloaded, version: 9.18.13.3788, time stamp: 0x537a8e05
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00b116d0
Faulting process id: 0xb34
Faulting application start time: 0x01cf88c96e5ef35a
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\binaries\win32\rogame.exe
Faulting module path: nvd3dum.dll
Report Id: d69feeea-f4bc-11e3-827a-60d819bf3d2b
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I uninstalled and reinstalled my GPU driver, and got this same message again. I've done all the steps listed in the various FAQs too.

What I'm curious about is this bit from the Event Viewer:
Faulting module path: nvd3dum.dll

That's not really a path, is it? After extensive googling it looks like when there's a problem with a missing driver file it'll usually list a legit file path, like:
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\nvd3dum.dll

Is there a bug somewhere in the game's code that doesn't properly reference this dll? I'm no coder so maybe I'm full of it. Food for thought, anyway.

I'd really like to play RO2/RS sometime again soon, but I can't get past this crash :confused:

Upvote 0
I've completely uninstalled my driver and reinstalled the latest driver (for Win 8.1 64bit), still no dice. It looks like various people are still having this crash-after-splash-screen issue as well. I noticed there's a nvd3dum.dll in my SysWOW64 folder but not my System32 folder. But there is a nvd3dumx.dll in System32. I wonder if this might have something to do with it. I'll mess around with the files a little and see.

EDIT: Installing the latest BETA Nvidia Drivers they just released (GeForce 340.43 Driver Beta) fixed it for me. Weeeeeeeeeeee

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Crashes after intro clip

Crashes after intro clip

Once I start the game, all of the logos are shown along with a small clip of the bouncing bullet, right when the clip is done the game crashed to the desktop with "RedOrchestra2 has stopped working." Attached you will find my log.

Attachments

• Launch-backup-2014.06.26-23.24.19.log
    31.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
PUTZ;n68050 said:
I know a lot of you are experiencing a freeze/hang/lockup soon after the RO2 splash screen appears. We need to know more about why it's stopping.

The first step is to enable your log.

To do this, go to Steam > Library > Right-click on RO2 > Properties > Set Launch Options

In the launch options window add "-log" without the quotes. Close and move on to part 2.

We also want you to unsuppress some logging information. If your game actually launches, it probably won't run very well. Again, this is mainly for people who actually get stuck at the screen all the time.

Navigate to documents\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\config and open ROEngine.ini.

Scroll down and you'll find a section with a lot of Suppress lines like so:

Code:
Suppress=Dev
Suppress=DevAbsorbFuncs
Suppress=DevAnim
Suppress=DevAssetDataBase
Please add a semi-colon in front of every Suppress line so it looks like this:

Code:
;Suppress=Dev
;Suppress=DevAbsorbFuncs
;Suppress=DevAnim
;Suppress=DevAssetDataBase
Once that is done, save the file and launch the game.

You should see a ton of logspam. This is normal. If it hard locks again or just sits there, please navigate to the log window itself and hit Ctrl+C to close it down gently.

Once that is done, please attach your .log and any .dmp files that are created in a post down below. Do not cut and paste.

Log & dump files can be found here:
documents\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\logs

I really need help. I can't even upload any attachment and i've been trying for so long to get this bug fixed!

Upvote 0
Game worked a week ago. I installed a new cooler and now suddenly I have this issue. I'd swap back but going from an air cooler to a liquid cooler, only to now have to go back seems like a bit much. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game. I've manually updated PB, I've deleted the config file, and I've verified the game cache via STEAM. I'm not in any beta's and all mods are unsub'd. I'm at a total loss and refuse to believe that literally simply changing from an air cooler, to a liquid cooler, with no software, is suddenly the cause for the issue.

I'd like to upload my dump file, but it tells me it's an invalid file. As a result, I've uploaded the file to my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8avw1x5d9q8pz6/rogame_2117156_crash_2016_12_4T21_56_55C0.mdmp?dl=0

I do expect a reply, as it is an unacceptable practice to take someone's money, and not deliver a working product. As such, I'll be back and reposting this exact post every day until said reply.

Upvote 0
I've uninstalled and reinstalled the game, updated PB manually, deleted the config file, tried running in compatibility mode for Win7, verified the game cache in STEAM, and I still crash at the splash. The game worked last week and the only change between then and now is my new liquid cooler opposed to my air cooler. I won't be changing back to see if that makes a difference as there was no software and installing/uninstalling is a pain in the ass.

The site refused to let me upload my dump file, as such I've posted it in my dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/g8avw1x5d9q8pz6/rogame_2117156_crash_2016_12_4T21_56_55C0.mdmp?dl=0

I expect a reply to this, as I am a paying customer and it is unacceptable to purchase a product that doesn't work. As a result, I will return every day and repost this message until the issue is addressed.

Upvote 0