• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Tuning] If you hang/crash at the splash screen!

I've been a huge fan of the RO series, and I'm sure this installment is, as I like to say, "The Jam," I just can't get the dang thing to work. Even with the beta. The beta results in the exact same issue. I wish I was competent enough to know how to post my log files, but I've compared mine to others and it's essentially the same. Where it says devdate ect. it ends with "failed." I've updated my BFG, yes BFG, video card drivers but no effect. No system crash or hitching. The dude with the MP 44 just stares at me while I search for a resolution haha. Anyway, I read the whole forum and tried all the solutions for the full game. Any recommendations on a solution to this issue using the beta?

Upvote 0
RO 2 was released way before it was ready, and we have basically been paying to test a buggy beta version from day of release.

7 1/2 months since release and Tripwire is still playing with a beta to add a classic mode that the hard core fans voted for, but most average gamers would just be happy with a fun playable game.
At least Classis will be an option, (if it's ever released).

In the mean time, a couple of posts back, I asked a question about the missing co-op content that was promised at release, and was also stated some time back as being added in this new huge patch that TWI is working on, (in one of the "what are we up to threads") but to this date I have still not received an answer to that question .. sooo .. I would have to assume that it won't be included.

I personally don't see a great future for this game!

IMO, Tripwire should have given this game a completely different name to separate it from RO, and produced a finished, bug free game in the direction they were headed with it, with all advertised content included.
It may not have been what the hard core fans wanted, but at least it would have been a finished, playable, and much more populated, fun game to play, and it wouldn't have been compared so much to RO1.

The host of bugs, the missing co-op content, and 7 1/2 months of patiently waiting to get the game to launch, has been a game killer for me and our gaming group.

I personally don't see a great future for this game, maybe a small gaming niche, but not a hugely popular game with 1000's of players and several full servers with low pings to choose from.

Really sad .. because it could have been one of the best!!

Upvote 0
First, I suggest you post your entire system specifications, a good way to do this is include them in your signature. Im wondering if your firewall may be blocking you? If you can start in windowed mode you can see if you get the message "allow.....?" I think if you right click the game icon and check the properties options, there may be a start in windowed mode? Another thing you might try is download the beta (look at your Steam menu library) as a dev. mentioned earlier in this thread they have a fix for hanging at the splash screen. Good luck. TWB*SlowBull

Upvote 0
First, I suggest you post your entire system specifications, a good way to do this is include them in your signature. Im wondering if your firewall may be blocking you? If you can start in windowed mode you can see if you get the message "allow.....?" I think if you right click the game icon and check the properties options, there may be a start in windowed mode? Another thing you might try is download the beta (look at your Steam menu library) as a dev. mentioned earlier in this thread they have a fix for hanging at the splash screen. Good luck. TWB*SlowBull

Thanks for taking the time to post oldslowguy.

I have posted my complete specs. at least a couple of times somewhere back in this thread, and also in another thread at the request of a dev. and programmer.
I have also tried everything listed in this thread and in others, plus some of my own, but have still not been able to get past the splash screen on this system.

I have been able to get the game to start on other systems with similar specs., so I could use one of those if I really wanted to play, but just can't seem to isolate this issue on my game machine that will run every other game I throw at it with no problem. In fact, I have never found a game that I could not load and run.

One system that loads and runs fine is my video editiong rig, and another is actually a smaller E5200 Wolfdale clocked at 3.3 with stock voltage that I use for everyday chores.
The system that won't launch is an E8400 @ 3.6 and a similar configuration as the smaller one, but on a larger scale.

As I mentioned above, heading into 8 months with the game still in beta has caused our entire gaming group to lose interest, and without an option in the main menu to setup a listen, LAN, or dedicated server, I can't find anyone interested in buying RO2.
No one is going to take the time to setup, or pay for a dedicated server for a game that has taken so long to become playable, and then it sounds like it will be geared mainly toward the old hardcore fanbase with classic mode, and it sounds as if the missing co-op content will still be missing.
The average gamer has little interest in taking the time to learn a game with such a high learning curve unless they have the menu option to easily setup a server to play with gaming friends who can all learn and play the game together.

I bought a retail version of RO2 when it was released, and it also included RO1, and some DLC for KF.
RO1 launches on my gaming rig and runs fine, and has all of the server options built in to the menu.
It seems that RO2 took a step backwards on this .. the missing content, and on several other aspects of this game.

It appears that TWI have been able to satisfy most of it's loyal gamer base with the Classic mode, and those are the gamers who most frequently visit this forum.
But ... the larger average gamer base has no idea this forum exists and has no interest in a hardcore game.
For proof of that, just start up most any COD, BF game, or even other less popular games, and see which ones have the most servers and players.

Just out of curiousity, I started up my grandson's computer and checked COD WaW:
This is a Monday morning a 10:30 AM, a school day:

On the first 22 servers that show in the browser on the first page, there are 681 players at present.
This is an old game he no longer plays, but just pointing out facts of where the majority of gamers are.
MF3 has tons more players than this old game.

I believe TWI tried to go off in that direction to capture some of these players, but were heavily influenced by the hardcore group.
They would have been much more successful it they had named RO2 something different to separate it from the RO franchise, finished what they were trying to do, and just made a fun, bug free game for all.

Upvote 0
Happening with the Opt-In beta. No problems with the non-beta, and the stand alone beta.

First time, I got stuff in my log file. Now it's just blank. I'll include both versions, along with a third dmp file generated, with no log file.

Attachments

• unreal-v7258-2012.05.21-21.55.26.dmp
    221.9 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.05.21-21.52.19.dmp
    231.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Launch-backup-2012.05.21-21.52.19.log
    1.9 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.05.21-21.48.24.dmp
    222.6 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Happening with the Opt-In beta. No problems with the non-beta, and the stand alone beta.

First time, I got stuff in my log file. Now it's just blank. I'll include both versions, along with a third dmp file generated, with no log file.

Do you have Rising Storm? There is a known issue with the game crashing after the update if you have rising storm. Look Here. In order to fix this temporarily, rename the 'Published' folder in your MyGames\RedOrchestra2\ROGame directory to something else.

Upvote 0
Do you have Rising Storm? There is a known issue with the game crashing after the update if you have rising storm. Look Here. In order to fix this temporarily, rename the 'Published' folder in your MyGames\RedOrchestra2\ROGame directory to something else.

Not right now. I did a fresh reinstall of my system a couple of weeks back, and haven't had a chance to install the Rising Storm beta yet.

BTW: I'm got plenty of virtual memory - switched it to 20GB just to see (in addition to my physical 8GB RAM). Still getting that same "ran out of virtual memory" error in the Command window.

Upvote 0
BTW: I'm got plenty of virtual memory - switched it to 20GB just to see (in addition to my physical 8GB RAM). Still getting that same "ran out of virtual memory" error in the Command window.

I think I saw you in the server yesterday. So, I presume you solved the problem. Do you mind sharing what was it for the sake of other people?

"Publishedkittens" worked like a charm. ty.

Excellent, adding kittens at the end also makes the game look 20% better and makes it run 15% faster :p

Upvote 0
It seems that no matter how many times I try I still don't succeed in finding these logs files. I have tried every method that was suggested before in this thread but nothing have helped. I happen to hang on the loading screen forever and I yet to reach to the main menu ever.

I am really helpless over here and I seek for a solution. ( The beta isn't solving anything aswell.) I feel that I have wasted my money and my time over nothing. Please help me! :confused:

Upvote 0
This has probably been mentioned here before, but make sure your anti-virus isn't getting in the way of loading any game files. Give your anti-virus permission to skip the RO2 files from scanning (both the ones in the steam directory and in you My Games directory).

Also, rightclick on the game in you steam library, go to options, select 'Set Launch Options' and add '-windowed' (without the quotes) to it. This will launch the game in windowed mode. That way you'll be able to see any warning/errors Windows pops up when launching the game.

Let me know if this helps in any way.

Upvote 0
free weekend patch and I have this problem, I also had it for a while around christmas. Tried deleting inis, even tried deleting everything in the steam directory and copying over from a laptop :(

Attachments

• Launch.log
    1.1 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.05.26-23.57.18.dmp
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.05.27-00.02.57.dmp
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.05.27-00.05.37.dmp
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
  • unreal-v7258-2012.05.27-00.05.22.dmp
    187.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
This has probably been mentioned here before, but make sure your anti-virus isn't getting in the way of loading any game files. Give your anti-virus permission to skip the RO2 files from scanning (both the ones in the steam directory and in you My Games directory).

Also, rightclick on the game in you steam library, go to options, select 'Set Launch Options' and add '-windowed' (without the quotes) to it. This will launch the game in windowed mode. That way you'll be able to see any warning/errors Windows pops up when launching the game.

I decided to try my game machine again since there is a new patch.
First Stream had to convert some files, then a large file was downloaded .. just under 6 GB.
Ran the game and it downloaded a small file around 10 MB (I believe) and received a message that RO2 was running for the first time, received a Tripwire splash screen as if the game was starting. (Great!! Looks like it is finally going to work)
Then back to the old splash screen hang problem .. except now I don't have to wait forever with nothing happening.
Now .. within a couple of seconds I receive a common Microsoft error "ROGame.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" along with the rest of the normal text when this happens.
Of course there is a huge text file generated for Microsoft, but no launch log.
I have never received this before and it is actually a blessing as I don't have to let the game sit for a half hour on the splash screen hoping it will start.

I have tried everything listed for nearly 9 months now, and don't really want to take the time to mess with it any longer .. at least not right now.

Haven't tried the other 2 rigs that would run RO2, and I'm almost afraid to try for fear that they will no longer run after this new patch.

I mentioned long ago that I have 2 homes.
The one I am at now has a slow DSL since we aren't here that often, so takes forever to download these huge patches. (I had 6 Mbps but dropped it to less than 1 for cost reasons)
I will likely wait until we return to the other home with 20 Mbps download speed before I even attempt to see if the other rigs work, (but that won't be for over a week)

(And I have posted my specs. several times)

Good luck to those who can run and play the game.

I can still run a play every other game, old and new, so it isn't like I don't have anything to play.

RO2 is the only game I have ever had a problem with that couldn't be easily and quickly fixed, over many years of gaming.

Upvote 0

I only use Norton Internet Security Suite. I already created rules for both those directories.

My logs are above, not sure if they reveal anything. But everytime I check the integrity, it says 3 files failed to validate, and it will reacquire them.

I click ok, start game and punk buster install and Redist.exe thing pops up. I install and agree to both, steam finishes 3/3 and loads game going to a main menu which freezes after me click anywhere.

Attachments

• 4534543.JPG
    4534543.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 345345345.jpg
    345345345.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Does no one know how to get past the main menu freezing? I can reach it, but if I click anywhere it freezes up.

As my previous post stated, after the freeze up I re-check the cache integrity, and always says 3 files failed to validate and it will be reacquired. So I launch game again, and it brings up DX install and redist. install. I do both again and load, get to main menu and same problem. I quit and re-check files again and it's 3 files failed to validate... yet again.

Upvote 0