• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A small tweaking guide

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
This is a small guide that got some general tweaks combined together:

Some times you need to change some setting in config files these can be found in:
mydocuments\mygames\redorchestra2\rogame\config
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FPS Performance tweaks:

Before starting with any tweaking of things make sure of the following:
  • If you participated in the beta make sure all config files are deleted before starting the game for the first time.
  • Make sure you have verified the integrity of the game cache through steam. open steam -> library -> right click redorchestra2 -> properties -> local files -> verify integrity of the game cache.
  • If you have a regular harddisc make sure your harddisc is properly defragmented (personally I recommend perfectdisc defragment both your gaming as windows disc and do an offline defragmentation).
  • Make sure you are running on the latest revision of directx from microsoft and running on the latest videocard drivers.
Note:
If you have Crossfire/dual GPU card:
Disable Crossfire/Catalyst AI or use RadeonPro http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=2121606
You can also tell AMD about performance issues with crossfire: http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3

In case you want to increase your fps its best to start with lowering the things that take up the most fps.

In the graphical options:
  • Disable the tick options like lightrays blur and bloom
  • Set the shadow settings lower (big performance impact, small visual impact)
  • Set World Detail to Low (reasonable performance impact, but HUGE loss in graphics, in general the top 3 sliders affect graphical influence the most while at relatively low performance costs).
  • Set the lightning settings lower (pretty big performance impact, small visual impact)
  • Disable the steam community (gives up to +20 fps for some people)
  • Play around with the occlusion level for different people different settings yield better results.
  • When running on an AMD/ATI videocard make sure you disable "Hardware PhysX"
  • in ROEngine.ini setting bInitializeShadersOnDemand=True can have good performance boost, although can occasionally give a slight stutter when something is being cached.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mouse responsiveness tweaks.

in ROEngine.ini make sure that:
  • OneFrameThreadLag is disabled (this will lower fps, however it makes your game more responsive as your frames do not lag a whole frame behind. As long as it does not make your fps lower than half your fps It will increase mouse responsiveness. With it enabled 60fps feels like 30fps, and 30fps feels like 15fps )
  • Vsync is disabled
in ROinput.ini set:
  • bViewAccelerationEnabled=FALSE
With your videocard settings,
  • Set max frames to render ahead as low as possible (Nvidia)
  • Set flip queue size as low as possible (ATI).
In your computer bios,
  • Disable HPET (High Precision Event Timer) essentially makes your pc slightly less precise but much faster in CPU bound games. (Google it for more info, its often OFF by default on a lot of motherboards).
(Both give a big influence in mouse responsiveness, however they often come at a cost for max fps).

For full control over these settings you might need ATI Tray tools for ATI and Rivatuner for Nvidia
Change the amount of zoom that you have in Ironsights.

open ROgame.ini

scroll down to the section:
[ROGame.ROPlayerController]

there you will find
IronSightZoomScaleSMG=1.000000
IronSightZoomScaleRifle=1.000000
IronSightZoomScaleBipod=1.000000

Here 1 means maximum zoom and 0 means no zoom.

Force a higher fov

Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config

Open the RoGame.ini file with a text editor
CTRL+F "PlayerFOV" without quotes

Set the FOV at desired amount then save the file
Right Click on RoGame.ini and go to properties
Set the file as read only with the checkbox

You now have working FOV, this will revert if you open any settings when you are in game.

Key config binds

Note: When you want to manually bind a key make sure it is not bound in the regular binding menu, otherwise whatever function it is bound to will dissapear in the key configuration settings.

replace the xxx with your desired button.
Note: mouse buttons are: leftmousebutton, rightmousebutton, middlemousebutton, thumbmousebutton, thumbmousebutton2

you open the console with ~ or

Last edited:
There's a bug that motion blur is True in the .ini even though it would be set off in the game options.

Tweaks to improve performance with only a loss on post processing:

AllowRadialBlur=False
MotionBlur=False

About the DepthOfField=False, I dont get a decrease in the brightness of the levels at all. Lightning settings: medium/high

Changing FOV:
To force a higher FOV.

Navigate to C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config

Open the RoGame.ini file with a text editor

CTRL+F "PlayerFOV" without quotes

Set the FOV at desired amount then save the file

Right Click on RoGame.ini and go to properties

Set the file as read only with the checkbox

You now have working FOV, this will revert if you open any settings when you are in game.

Also One Frame Thread Lag, Occlusion Level and even Framerate Smoothing give mixed results on different machines, I get best fps with Occlusion High, One frame thread lag Off and Framerate Smoothing Off

If you have Crossfire/dual GPU card:

Disable Crossfire/Catalyst AI or use RadeonPro [url]http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2121606[/URL]

You can also tell AMD: [url]http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D27E29B0E3[/URL]

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
Bind hold down to get ads:
setbind xxx "Ironsights | onrelease Ironsights"

the above button can break up at times, so make sure you have another key bound to regular ironsights that you can press to fix it when it goes wrong:
setbind xxx Ironsights

Do you know how can i use the irsonsight without toogle?

Use:
Code:
Ironsights | Button bIronsights | OnRelease Ironsights

Works for me, no hitches. Unfortunately my fingers can't hold down five keys at once and then tap others, so I keep it to default :)

Upvote 0
H-e-l-p

H-e-l-p

So I am still kind of new to PC gaming, only games I really play on PC are the RO titles. I just bought a new rig (gtx580 video card, asus p8p67 pro mobo, and an i5 2500k processor). It came with a hefty price tag and I was told that I should be able to cut through this game like butter but I notice a lot of stuttering. If anyone can give me any tips on exactly what to change in the settings or how they have their settings configured, please pm me. I was lucky to find this thread and hope someone can fix the issue.

Upvote 0

In the graphical options:
  • Disable the tick options like lightrays blur and bloom
  • Set the shadow settings lower (big performance impact)
  • Set the lightning settings lower (pretty big performance impact)
  • Disable the steam community (gives up to +20 fps for some people)
  • Play around with the occlusion level for different people different settings yield better results.

Thanks for this great guide!

But, by "steam community" you mean Steam Cloud?

Upvote 0
Thanks for this great guide!

But, by "steam community" you mean Steam Cloud?

On steam click View>settings.

Then click on the "in-game" tab, you should see "Enable steam community in game" with a checkbox beside it, uncheck that one to do that.

It turns off the steam overlay in game (IE shift + tab, so you can see friends, messages, achivements, etc).

Upvote 0