• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Immersion mutator

Cat_in_da_Hat

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 11, 2006
Anyone running the immersion mutator having the WaffenSSSkins file?
I am getting cases of people downloading the mutator for the first time, entering game and getting an error with the WaffenSSSkins file. They come back into the server and get another copy of the WaffenSSSkins file and they are fine to play.

Anyone getting this issue ?

This is on the main Aussie / NZ server and I only put the immersion mutator on at the end of the night so I can't provide much more feedback.

Running ImmersionOverhaulMutatorV1_04

Also I notice that 13 files are downloaded to the client cache area however only nine are set up in cache.ini what is that all about ?

Last edited:
iirc, there have been some problems with certain packages not downloading or getting 'implemented' when downloaded from the redirect. I haven't followed the thread, but perhaps there is some mention of it in the mod section of the forums.

The only odd experience I had with the mutator happened after an update. After downloading from the redirect, the game closed and I was at the desktop. I started the game back up, rejoined the server and everything was fine. Never happened again, so it could have been just a fluke.

Upvote 0
Somehow I think the only way to get it right on the first shot is to manually download the mutator (properly of course). I have done this and don't have a problem.

Otherwise those skins aren't properly implemented and you crash in game. But then when you restart the game and rejoin, you have those skins already from the prior download and all is well.

I think... :D

Upvote 0
Yes the issue is here the same. The Redirect don`t work at a Stalingrad Map cause the Waffen SS Files are Missing.

At a Rising Storm Map everything works fine with the Redirect cause it does not need to download the Waffen SS Files. That`s it why it works...lol...

Hope he will fix this one day. Cat Did you testet it in the Lobby? While i`m switching in the Lobby for ClanMatch to the Russian Side after i joined the WarServer the game freezes always complete. But i told Dibbler about this Probelm I hope he`ll fix these Bugs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with the RO1Chatter mutator. On 1st server connection the mutator file would upload to the player, but not the sound cue files. Then player would get disconnected for not having the sound cue files. However on the next attempt the sound cue files did upload. I had to solve it by making "having the sound cue files" optional (thus not mandatory available for the mutator). That was one reason why the mutator didn't pass the white-listing.
Months later I found a solution for this problem (I still believe it's an engine bug). After cooking the mutator, the additional (redirect troublesome) .upk files must be merged with the mutator .u file. UE3 does have a command-applet for that. The outcome is a new .u file (with same file-name), though embedded in that file are additional .upk files. The new .u file will be the file placed on the server and redirect. The .upk files embedded (merged) into the new .u file can be left out from both server and redirect. The ?Mutate=... command-line option will stay the same.
If a player now joins the server for the first time, then the new (merged) mutator .u file will be uploaded to his computer. The additional .upk packages are embedded inside and thus he will automatically get them too.

This same solution will probably work too for the Moskeeto's skin pack in dibbler's immersion mutator. It certainly won't hurt to give it a try.

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue with the RO1Chatter mutator. On 1st server connection the mutator file would upload to the player, but not the sound cue files. Then player would get disconnected for not having the sound cue files. However on the next attempt the sound cue files did upload. I had to solve it by making "having the sound cue files" optional (thus not mandatory available for the mutator). That was one reason why the mutator didn't pass the white-listing.
Months later I found a solution for this problem (I still believe it's an engine bug). After cooking the mutator, the additional (redirect troublesome) .upk files must be merged with the mutator .u file. UE3 does have a command-applet for that. The outcome is a new .u file (with same file-name), though embedded in that file are additional .upk files. The new .u file will be the file placed on the server and redirect. The .upk files embedded (merged) into the new .u file can be left out from both server and redirect. The ?Mutate=... command-line option will stay the same.
If a player now joins the server for the first time, then the new (merged) mutator .u file will be uploaded to his computer. The additional .upk packages are embedded inside and thus he will automatically get them too.

This same solution will probably work too for the Moskeeto's skin pack in dibbler's immersion mutator. It certainly won't hurt to give it a try.

I did try this a while back, and unfortunately my .exe would crash (I suspect the package was too large.) Also I have found that loading any skin on a dedicated server crashes the server because it loads the entire skin package, exceeding the server's virtual memory. If I were somehow able to merge the .u with the skin packages, this would still be a problem.

That problem is why I've resorted to the solution we have now. And there may be yet another, similar problem to solve, because it turns out using new weapons on servers requires a pcserver cook (otherwise loading new weapons will crash the server! :rolleyes:) meaning the server will have to have different files than the clients :mad: which makes me wonder how to distribute client files via redirect if the server can't load those files without crashing (and as far as I know, cannot send unloaded files via redirect!!!!)

Problems problems! If only we could use ServerPackages like in the earlier Unreal Engines :eek:

Upvote 0
I did try this a while back, and unfortunately my .exe would crash (I suspect the package was too large.) Also I have found that loading any skin on a dedicated server crashes the server because it loads the entire skin package, exceeding the server's virtual memory. If I were somehow able to merge the .u with the skin packages, this would still be a problem.

That problem is why I've resorted to the solution we have now. And there may be yet another, similar problem to solve, because it turns out using new weapons on servers requires a pcserver cook (otherwise loading new weapons will crash the server! :rolleyes:) meaning the server will have to have different files than the clients :mad: which makes me wonder how to distribute client files via redirect if the server can't load those files without crashing (and as far as I know, cannot send unloaded files via redirect!!!!)

Problems problems! If only we could use ServerPackages like in the earlier Unreal Engines :eek:

For maps at least server and client files are different. the server file of a map for instance never includes the embedded texture packages.

However i assume that in some way in the cooking process even though server and client builds are cooked with a different flag the game knows they work together. Allowing you to download the client files that are on the redirect while the server runs the server files.

The only thing you have to do in the case of maps is make sure the client files have the exact same name as the server files. Even if the redirect version is then of an old version it will be pushed over the redirect (and result in crashing players).

So if you have 2 *.u files of the same build 1 cooked for servers and 1 cooked for clients. If the server runs the smaller *.u file the bigger *.u file if that one is placed on the redirect would be the one pushed to the clients.

Upvote 0