• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Preventing Welcome Screen from loading (clientside)

p3rky

May 17, 2012
Hi TWI support crew,

I appreciate that this is about a client-side issue, but I figured you'd be the best placed to answer it.

I'm trying to prevent the Welcome Screen from loading when connecting to a server as a client. Is this possible? I'm specifically trying to prevent a banner from loading, if this is possible.

Any ideas? :)

What you ask for is playing for free on a server, but not wanting to see their promo banner on a server which they pay for :rolleyes:

No, I'm not at all. That's a very cynical thing to allege! :rolleyes:

I'm just looking to load in quicker. I want to avoid the delay that comes with having a crappy connection and loading a large image at the start of each map - an image I might add that I have seen a thousand times before and visited the non-commercial site promoted! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, I'm not at all. That's a very cynical thing to allege! :rolleyes:

I'm just looking to load in quicker. I want to avoid the delay that comes with having a crappy connection and loading a large image at the start of each map - an image I might add that I have seen a thousand times before and visited the non-commercial site promoted! :)

Well that was not what you were saying in your OP :p

But like Floyd said, the banners are small. They mostly vary between 100-200 kBytes and shouldn't really cause problems keeping in mind the connection speed required to play RO2. The banners itself are in most cases not stored on the RO2 server itself, but on a remote location. Thus it all depends on the speed of the connection between you and that remote location (which contains the banner). The only thing you can do is blocking the URL of the banner in your firewall, but then you will need to know the URL.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well that was not what you were saying in your OP :p

But like Floyd said, the banners are small. They mostly vary between 100-200 kBytes.

In my OP I didn't say the reason, just what I wanted, which remains the same. You assumed to worst. You should feel bad. :p

I thought of the firewall thing too, but I have no idea how I'd go about finding the image URL...

@Floyd The banner in question is rather large, probably 200x800px, I have no idea the filesize but I do know there's a delay in which everyone is selecting classes and I'm waiting for the image to load so I can click continue... :(
Aside from contacting the admins of the server in question, is there anything I can do at my end? e.g changing a cvar or a config setting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0