• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Real Time or High Priority?

omniconsumer

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 5, 2011
discord.gg
Since we have dedicated a physical core to the server itself, would it be better to set the server to real time priority or high priority? I've read that it is no good to run programs in real time priority because it may actually decrease performance and cause problems.

I have set it to real time for a bit and it didn't cause any problems, but high was good too. Not sure, any ideas? Thanks..

Running it on i7 2600k oc'ed to 4.0 ghz, windows 7 64 bit.

Last edited:
Real time priority can cause problems if the CPU can't handle the load. Then your game server will get all the CPU time and other required tasks/services will be locked out (think about remote desktop and ftp server).

Well, we have one whole CPU dedicated to the server, so I am assuming it would be ok to set it to real time. Yet, this is still an assumption.

Everything else is set to the other 3 processors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, it seems that our server is loading maps way faster when it is set to High Priority. Interesting...

That is interesting. You probably wouldn't want to put the thread in the Real Time access mode since it may interfere with essential operating system functions even though the thread is isolated to the game itself. They all share access to the memory, HD, etc after all.

Upvote 0
That is interesting. You probably wouldn't want to put the thread in the Real Time access mode since it may interfere with essential operating system functions even though the thread is isolated to the game itself. They all share access to the memory, HD, etc after all.

Yeah, seems that putting programs in real time is generally frowned upon is the consensus I have been getting from my research on the matter.

High Priority seems good enough and helps the server run with less hiccups.

Thanks for your input Swag, you have been really helpful to us!

Upvote 0