• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Make and use Mutators

Tassie Devil

Apr 16, 2016
Can someone explain.. In simple nerd like English please, No technical jargon !;)
1. What is a Mutator?
2. Why would I need one (or 2 etc)
3. What does it do (if not answered in 1)
4. How do I create one?
5. Can you put an example of a specific Mutator (or 2 or 3) on here telling what they do?

I am gradually finding my way around but need gentle simple directions and guidance.:D

Cheers

Tassie Devil

1. Lines of code, that is compiled and then executed when server starts or map changes. Mutator code can run on server only or both on server and client.
2. To change some game/map behavior. Easiest possible mutator is something like changing the map playtime, more complex ones do more complex things :)
3. Replaces or extends game classes (class means UE3 OO code class here)
4. You write it with text editor, compile it with rogame.exe, enable it to start (server start level, or even map specific mutators are possible but rare). Writing a mutator is not so much about coding skills (UE language is similar to any OO language), but the challenge is more to know how game classes work.
5. I don't know if people want to share source codes, but there are some examples in the coding section of this forum.

Upvote 0
Thanks Rivemies

Thanks Rivemies

Thanks for quick reply..

So I understand, (and others like me.. there are lots of us)
1. Lines of code, on server only or both on server and client.
I get that, I just need to know how to write the code..correct?
3. Replaces or extends game classes (class means UE3 OO code class here) Looked up UE3 & 00 but am lost :confused:
4. Pretty well got that. ;)
5. had a look in there. Thanks

"I'm not as confused today as I was the day before tomorrow"

Upvote 0
Thanks for quick reply..

So I understand, (and others like me.. there are lots of us)
1. Lines of code, on server only or both on server and client.
I get that, I just need to know how to write the code..correct?
3. Replaces or extends game classes (class means UE3 OO code class here) Looked up UE3 & 00 but am lost :confused:
4. Pretty well got that. ;)
5. had a look in there. Thanks

"I'm not as confused today as I was the day before tomorrow"

I do have some source code lying around... One fits the bill perfectly.
After my exams this week, I'll be happy to make you a simple console command MapInfo /GameInfo mutator from it. Which you can then use to make your own if you wish. The people who tasked me with making unfortunately never used it. I don't think they even properly installed the mutator, because I kept getting debug return strings from several earlier versions. You also won't need to replace the game/map info's with your own new class. You can create a mutator that accesses them before hand and or during run time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks guys

Thanks guys

Thanks for that info and thanks Beskar Mando for your kind offer. I may have to "invite" you into my Ventrilo channel to help me understand properly but you are certainly welcome.. (Details sent on request)

Re nymets1104: "Mutators on the client must be hosted on a server as well though (IOM is an example)."

How do I host them on a server if I rent it from a service provider or can't I do that? thus closing this discussion on mutators :confused:

Beskar Mando I hope you come top of the class in your exams.:cool:

Upvote 0
Thanks for that info and thanks Beskar Mando for your kind offer. I may have to "invite" you into my Ventrilo channel to help me understand properly but you are certainly welcome.. (Details sent on request)

Re nymets1104: "Mutators on the client must be hosted on a server as well though (IOM is an example)."

How do I host them on a server if I rent it from a service provider or can't I do that? thus closing this discussion on mutators :confused:

You would place the mutator files in the Server's BrewedPC Directory as they appear on the clients Published Directory. Are you trying to host a Mutator that already exists or trying to create a new one?

Upvote 0
How do I host them on a server if I rent it from a service provider or can't I do that?

I assume you mean rented game server here. If you have rented virtual or dedicated Windows server, then you have Windows level access and can do anything you like.

With game servers, some GSPs wont let you edit server start command line. This is annoying for enabling mutators. However, you can enable mutators by adding mutator info to each map in server's rogame.ini. This ofc looks ugly in map voting screen, but it is the only way.

Usually compiled mutators are small in size (KB). It means that you don't necessarily have to place them on your server's redirect (http) server for client download. But if you do have your own redirect server, or mutator file size is larger, then ofc client download works much better from redirect server.

Upvote 0