• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Dedicated RO2/RS server Hosted in same house

Ok folks so I need your help. I am attempting to set up a server for Rising Storm/ Red Orchestra 2. I would like it to be a dedicated, unranked, online server, with bots and campaign and realism.

However I have failed multiple times to get this to work. I have the game installed on a separate machine and have created a new steam account that does not own the game to download the server files and run it.

So far I have created a RO2Server folder, ran app_update 212542 validate, waited for it to validate, and then ran the batch. I have noticed that when i do this it doesn't create the rogame.ini until I've either ran the server once or re-validated.

I have port forwarded 8080, 7777-7779 and one other i cant remember off the top of my head. But when i run the serverbatch file i get 3-4 warnings, a missing DLL file and stuff abo0ut movies not being found. I am currently at work but can try to screen cap when i get home.

Any suggestions? Help?
A bunch of my friends just bought the game off the steam sale, and we would like to have our own server. You guys are my only hope.

Tank You :IS2:

CommanderBaker

I'm not sure if I got it right from your text, but:

You don't need game installed on you server computer, just steam console client aka steamcmd.
Install server using steamcmd commands.
Configure server to be LAN server (setting in roengine.ini).
Open firewall for rogame.exe.
Start your server from windows cmd prompt.
See if your LAN server appears on client server-browser (in-game browser or steam server browser).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thank you for your reply. :D

OK that's what I've done now multiple times. I've used steamCMD to force a directory, validate the game and download the files. When I do the app_update 212542 validate the first time it doesnt give me the rogame.ini or roengine.ini files.

It seems I have to run the server once to get them. So I do or I re-validate it and try just running it again.

Server starts up, gives me a few warnings and then the Error BugsLayerUtil.DLL not found

Then it tells me that I'm being moved to unranked.

I dont mind it being unranked, I just want it to be online. My server's firewall is off and i believe i have the right ports forwarded.

Do I need to run the file UE3Redist.exe? :confused:

Do I need to install .Net 3.5? :confused:

Thank you for your continued help. :D
CB

Upvote 0
Yes, ro*.ini files are created when server is started for the first time. So, after installation, you should start the server up, close it, and then you can edit ro*.ini files. That is normal.

Bugslayer dll missing error looks a little odd to me, tbh. RO2 server gives all kind of warnings at startup, but they are just warnings. But since you got info that server is unranked, I assume server is up and running.

Is your server install dir without any spaces and special characters (like c:\myro2server\)? Just thinking if that could make any difference to steamcmd, which is actually installing the server files.

If your server is LAN server, then set rogame.ini setting bLANServer=true

Edit ro*.ini files of the server when server is not running, that is easiest.

Upvote 0
Ok I have ran every executable in the folders, and am currently downloading .net 3.5.

I have included a screen cap of the issue im getting in attachment form.

Remember I have two PCs one is the server one is the machine i will play on. I want server to be online and be able to connect in same house. I guess that would mean i was LAN and everyone else would be online.

Thanks for your continued help
CB

Attachments

• RO2Server.jpg
    RO2Server.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4
Upvote 0
If you want your server to be online, do not set it to LAN.

Your command window for me is OK, server is running. When your server starts, you have to wait before it can be seen in server browser, a better idea to see if it works online, is to add your IP : port of your server in favorites (add it from Steam server browser). Try to change your server ports if it still doesn't work and forward them to the good machine (the server where game server is running).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
From the attachment I conclude that your server is up and running. The in-game server browser often does not show the LAN servers on the LAN tab. Try to connect to the server using the open console command. If for example your RO2 server is running on IP 192.168.1.10, then use:
Code:
open 192.168.1.10
With that command you will connect to the default RO2 port. If you configured your server to use an other port (e.g. 7900), then use:
Code:
open 192.168.1.10:7900
Of course the IP must be your servers LAN IP address.

Upvote 0
I may be an idiot

I may be an idiot

So.......

I yesterday evening I redid everything. Started by using SteamCMD to get the files, ran all the .exes in the binaries folder i believe. this included UE3, punk buster, and one that was RO2redis or something along those lines. I then ran the server, closed it and ran it again after verifying that all the files were there.

I got the same screen said "screw it!" :mad: went in and played RO2 on another server while i let off some steam. Then for some reasons i went back to the server browser and was looking for a different server to play on and went to change my filters..... I had hide all empty servers checked. I unchecked it, and saw "Red Orchestra 2 Server" and I thought to myself what a generic name I joined it, walked in to the room with my server and sure enough.... 1 player was connected. Then i thought i have the lanServer line set to fault I wonder if anyone can join and as i was thinking that BOOM! someone else joined! :eek:

So long story short i am an idiot haha. I now have a server i can join by LAN at my house and that others can join from online. all because a filter. A FILTER has been the only reason i haven't been able to get this to work for about 5 days.... :mad:

Ugh... :eek:

This leads me to some other questions however, :confused:

1. Can you make the bots have more skill?
2. How do you make your server do campaign?
3. How do you get rid of rising storms kill cam?
4. Is there a map list somewhere that explains what maps are what? I would like if i cant do campaign mode at least have some more maps from Rising Storm and some of the vehicle based maps.
5. Is there a way to force more bots to the team without real players? For example myself and 4 friends with 20 bots but then the enemy with like 35? to increase difficulty.

As usual thanks for your help!
CB :D

Upvote 0
All of those settings can be modifier by using the web-admin of your server. You can enable it by opening your servers ROWeb.ini and change bEnabled to True. The webadmin can then be accessed using any web-browser. The URL is: http://<server-ip>:8080/ServerAdmin/ (if needed you can change the port number in that same ini file).

It will ask for a user name and password. The username is admin. The password you define in the ROGame.ini file (look for AdminPassword in the Engine.AccessControl group).

If the password doesn't work, then check the command-line in the RO2Server.bat file. Default that one overrides the admin password. Just remove that password option on the command-line and you are good.

Upvote 0
Yes. Most of the settings that you can change in the web-admin are stored in the ROGame.ini file. But you don't really need to worry by that, because the settings pages in the web-admin is just a UI around the ROGame.ini file. Changes you made directly in ROGame.ini will be displayed (taken over) in the web-admin settings page.
The ro2sever.bat file will not be changed by the web-admin. That one is left alone.

Upvote 0