• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Could this server support 64 players?

SickHeadPro

Jul 7, 2014
I have a dell power edge 2950

Twin Xeon quad cores both running at 2.66GHz on 16 cache total
4Gb of ECC ram
Windows server 2012 installed.
160Gb sata hdd

I have be able to join the server with 64 players but there was a little bit of lag like bots jumping from position to postion where they are walking. But this should be able to run it right?

The RO2 server process does not support multithreading, I mean there is one main process working on one specific core, so what you need is big power on one core..

TWI told the game server for 64 players needs (http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=57434):

Server Requirements (Beta)

16 Players: Haven't benchmarked this yet, but we don't expect it will take much CPU to run this

32 Players: CPU usage - 1 Core of a 2.6 GHZ Core I7 or equivalent (i.e. the server process will take most of 1 core, with a few smaller threads on other cores). We also tested on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz and that could handle 32 players but I wouldn't try and do 32 players with a machine much slower than that.

64 Players: Goal CPU usage - 1 Core of a Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4 GHZ (3.8 GHZ actually with Turbo enabled) or equivalent (i.e. the server process will take most of 1 core, with a few smaller threads on other cores).

A note on performance:
64 players was pushing the test machine (Intel Xeon E3-1270 3.4 GHZ (3.8 GHZ actually with Turbo enabled) pretty hard on certain maps, but did handle 64 players. Likewise 32 players pushed the Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz pretty hard at 32 players, but did handle it. We're working on some final optimizations that might get the performance a little better, but there won't be any drastic changes from these specs.

Likewise the number of players the server can handle (i.e. how much performance is needed) varies from map to map, and gametype to game type. Smaller maps and countdown tend to perform better than larger maps in territory or firefight. So if you run smaller maps only on your server, you might be able to push the slots higher. Just watch your CPU usage, and more importantly the ping of players connected. Ping will climb a bit as the server gets under load and as CPU usage goes up, this is to be expected. But watch the ping, if it is a server near you and the ping starts to go above 100ms consistently, then you are likely pushing your server too hard and need to reduce the number of slots.

What I have found is that it looks like an Intel Xeon E31270 @ 3.4 GHZ (3.8 GHZ actually with Turbo enabled) can just handle 64 players now, and is being pushed pretty hard. We've got a last batch of optimizations that we're going to try over the weekend that might bet it down a bit lower so the CPU isn't pushed quite as hard (possibly getting things down by about 5%). We tested on an Intel Core2 Quad Q8400 @ 2.66GHz and that could handle 32 players but I wouldn't try and do 32 players with a machine much slower than that. As mentioned before, the final optimizations might push this down a little, but nothing drastic.

So from what you have I would say, no you can not run a 64 players server, A 32 players server should be good.. Even multiple 32 slots servers I guess. Here is a comparison with the processor I guess you have (this is what I can find on the server you own), mine and finally the recommended one. Note that even if mine scores better, It means nothing for RO2 server hosting because of the single thread RO 2 server has. http://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=1294&cmp[]=1189&cmp[]=1204

For Example I have a E3-1230v2 @ 3.3Ghz server and it can handle multiple 50 slots servers. A single or multiple 50 slots server is the same because each server is assigned ta a single core.. Good performance on all, but a single 64 slots server is just not working good when there is 64 players, there is not enough power to handle the server with 64 players.

The key is the power of a single core, needs to be 3.8Ghz to be great for 64 players...

Maybe I'm wrong but from what I know and tested that's how it works.

Upvote 0
Romano's post covers this topic very well. Single core performance is what matters.

Also, maps are not equal. Larger maps stress server much more than smaller maps, even if player count is the same. Especially during arty strikes.

3.4 Ghz is barely capable of running 64 players, but pings will be rising (too much) after 50+ players. I would recommend small overclock to 4.2 Ghz.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No you can't

I know that is is sad, If I wouldn't have to run multiple server my 8 core processor would be useless. Sure that now servers work with multiple cores, some with multiple CPU which have multiple cores...

So to answer no you can't, and no it will use one core of one cpu... But you can make lot of little servers :D like if you know many clans that can be good to split the costs between each clans.

Last edited:
Upvote 0