• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server GS Game Server Servers and New Content

Anyone have a Game Server (Server)? Is the way they are doing their redirect still the same or has it now changed?

They always made you take the redirect files and rename the redirect file .roe to .upk

Now that supposedly the same server file is also the same redirect file does this mean when the maps are all (Newly Brewed) for the new patch will they simply be released with a single file now as .roe for putting into the new server brewed folder and we'd just now take that (Same) single file and rename it to .upk and put into our redirect folder or will it now just stay .roe in both locations?

I can't find anything on their site about it of course that's why I'm asking here.

Someone with a GS (Game Server) could you just put a (New) detailed (How To) for Custom content if even more complicated than what I put above or if other things are different.

try this

try this

1) Delete all old cooked server upk files (you might as well simply delete cookedpcserver)
2) rename all files on the redirect to roe
3) place the client *.roe files in brewedpcserver/maps and brewedpcserver/rsgame/maps

4) edit your ini files again to support your custom maps as your inis got likely reset with the latest update. (if they didn't it might be worth it to delete your old inis and start fresh)

Upvote 0
Update: It appears that since the patch GS (Game Servers) have not had a working redirect.

From my understanding is there is some issue (What?) who knows.

The ini is configured correctly and the maps have been placed in redirectfiles folder as .roe and .upk and neither works.

We turned in a ticket to them 2 weeks ago and they have yet to resolve the issue so I can only assume this is for (Anyone and Everyone) with a Redirect server with GS (Game Servers).

Has anyone with a GS game server figured anything out and gotten it working???

Upvote 0
I can't understand how nothing really changed other than the extension and the use of a single file could cause such a major issue.

Someone needs to seriously look into this issue. I can't believe only two of us are having this issue. This has to be affecting every single server or they've just never tested the fact that it takes 15 minutes to a half hour to download a custom map. Maybe folks think that's just how it is?

Just to be clear our .ini is properly configured. The files have been put into the directory as both .roe and .upk without success.

The only differences is that the server maps are now broken up between brewedpcserver\maps and brewedpcserver\rsgame\maps

Also there are now folders or you can create folders within each of those locations to separate or for organization of the customs.

So those are the changes that must have screwed up the redirect. Either the folders need to have exact same name as the maps so that the redirect matches the folder you place your files into. This is one thing I'll try - because as an example I've created say a folder called the map name minus the TE- or RSTE- and maybe this is the issue???

Example: Custom map TE-Train - I created a folder under maps called Train. Of course the map is called TE-Train.roe in the redirect.

We will test this later and let you know if it makes any difference.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ive created the folder subBase and placed RSTE-subBase.roe in that folder along with the ini file that came with it in both rsgame maps and brewdpcserver/maps.Ive also added the ini information to rogame.config/rogame.ini file.

My fast redirect URL is added to the ROEngine.ini file like this
[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
RedirectToURL=http://***********/server/maps/

not to mention i have changed the extensions .roe to my fast redirect client and server.

My web admin does show the custom maps but when im forced to change the game to that custom maps,it reverts to the official maps instead.
Im lost here at this point.

I run 3 RO2/RS servers and i cant get them to run any custom maps anymore.Its a headache.

Also im using the ini files that came with the custom maps,what changes do i need to make to the ini file for example :

[RSTE-SubBase ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=RSTE-SubBase
FriendlyName=SubBase
GameType=RSGame.RSGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_Infantryonly
MapType32=ROMT_Infantryonly
MapType64=ROMT_Infantryonly
Author=

[RSTE-SubBase ROUIDataProvider_WorldInfo]
MapName=RSTE-SubBase
Friendly=SubBase
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=

will this setup be ok ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes that all appears correct. Something is either wrong with how it's done now or with the game server companies themselves and their setup.

I see everything in admin, everything is configured how they've always been done but as stated the only thing that has changed are the map folders within the game.

The files are being downloaded just at a snails pace which usually means it's not seeing the redirect at all but it does see the files on the server regardless of what the folder name is or where you place it as long as it's somewhere in the maps folders \maps or \rsgame\maps - supposedly unreal does not care about folder structure or if you organize your customs within their own folder just as long as they fall within one of those two map folders.

With how everything is - it should just work. Also as stated I've had a ticket in with the GS game server company since patch release and they obviously can't figure it out either.

So still the question is - Is redirect (FAST) working for anyone???

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- Nevers duplicate files (I already seen a problem with two different version of same files in the new server build which crashed server..), place them in good folder, for example BrewedPCServer/Maps/CustomMaps/ so delete all what you uploaded to your game server, and only upload files where it must go.

- Use simplified INI, don't duplicate the info in ROGame.ini as it is useless, only use the ini in Config folder on server (simple, and in case of rogame.ini reset, you still have your custom map ini)

example of a simplified working INI:
Code:
[RSTE-SubBase ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=RSTE-SubBase
FriendlyName=SubBase
GameType=RSGame.RSGameInfoTerritories

- Only try with updated maps for the brewed process. here is the list as far as I know:

sans-titre-459dbc9.png

For me the problem is that you keep trying to run custom maps that are not brewed, which is the new process (brewing replaced cooking), you try to run the cooked maps, the old process.

Try with the updated ones (almost all mappers post their update here, link is from patch all announced maps are updated with brewing process from this post to the last one: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?p=1306339#post1306339)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
do all the map names need to be changed to .roe in both server and fastdl server?

Edit : i got kitajima_v9 working.
Heres what i did.On my FASTDl server i placed rste-kitajima_v9.roe file into my root FASTDL server.I did NOT create a folder.

In my server i experimented.i created a folder called kitajima and placed rste-kitajima_v9.roe into that folder in Brewdpcserver/maps i did the same for Brewdpcserver/Rsgame/maps and created a folder there naming it kitajima.
this did not work.

Too make it work i put rste-kitajima_v9.roe into brewdpcserver/maps and brewdpcserver/rsgame/maps into the root of that folder.NOT creating a folder.This method worked and i successfully changed the game to RSTE-Kitajima_v9 and connected with a fastDL with no problems.

I did kept.roe for both client and server NOT changing it to upk.
strange

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Having duplicate files on your server is not a good idea in my opinion. Glad you make it work.

EDIT: personnally I make custom maps work like this, takin in my example Kita Jima v9 but I do the same for ALL the maps, RO2 or RS:

On your server create a folder called CustomMaps/ in Maps folder, that should look like this /ROGame/BrewedPCServer/Maps/CustomMaps

Place RSTE-KitaJima_v9.roe in the folder created at /ROGame/BrewedPCServer/Maps/CustomMaps (don't care if it is RS or RO2, all custom maps go there)

Place map INI file in the config folder at /ROGame/Config

Make sure that you respect the lower case and upper case in INI filename and inside the INI, related to the map file name in CustomMap folder (for example your INI filename should not be RSTE-kitajIMA_V9.ini but RSTE-KitaJima_v9.ini, the same for the map name inside the INI, respect the case, always)

Look at your redirect URL, if it is http://***********/server/maps/ (and in this URL make sure you respect the case too) upload the mapfile inside this folder /server/maps/ do not rename anything, just upload the mapfile.

Restart server, enjoy. If it does not work and don't redirect you, try to acces with your browser to http://***********/server/maps/RSTE-KitaJima_v9.roe if it fails to download, this is the problem. If the server doesn't load the map, it it because of duplicate files (for example there was two version of Kita v9...), or you did something wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I did kept.roe for both client and server NOT changing it to upk.
strange

I am still changing to the upk extension for the brewed custom map files for server and my redirect. No problems at all.

I also load the maps to ROGame/BrewedPCServer/Maps and just pop them there. So no individual folders for each custom map.

Can't say I have experienced any problems so far.

Upvote 0
I've tried everything within this thread and nothing is working.

I have all the latest (Working) customs.

I've created .ini files for each of the maps and placed into the Config folder.

I've tried having it added to the rogame.ini as originally done. Not in both locations at same time.

I've kept files named .roe in both BrewedPCServer\Maps and in redirectfiles folders. I've tried .upk as well.

I'm totally at a loss at this point. Unless it just isn't working for our GS (Gameserver) they've still yet to resolve the ticket so something still can't be right.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I've tried everything within this thread and nothing is working.

I have all the latest (Working) customs.

I've created .ini files for each of the maps and placed into the Config folder.

I've tried having it added to the rogame.ini as originally done. Not in both locations at same time.

I've kept files named .roe in both BrewedPCServer\Maps and in redirectfiles folders. I've tried .upk as well.

I'm totally at a loss at this point. Unless it just isn't working for our GS (Gameserver) they've still yet to resolve the ticket so something still can't be right.

you said that joining a custom map is downloading at a snail pace,is that the only issue? because my fastDL server was linited to about 150mb per file,and now they have increased that bandwith for me as custom maps are big in size for RS/RO2.

I use to use GS and quite honestly they are terrible.I would switch GSP`s.Would defintaely recommend nfo.There ticket system has n instant response 7 days a week.Not to mention there hardware is amazing.

Upvote 0
The maps with every possible way and even doing things the original way would show the maps in webadmin properly. When joining the server maps were available from map list. The maps will download but at only .1 per every couple of seconds as if there is no fast redirect. Everything worked perfectly fine before patch. Never had issue with GS game servers or their fast redirect until now since patch. Everything is properly configured for url in .ini. The only thing not working is fast download. They have done nothing with the ticket since the 25th when I put it in.

Upvote 0