• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server Changes after 21st April patch?

Couple questions. Game Servers had us rename the .roe files to .upk and we had to put these in our redirectfiles folder for client download.

Of course there were two types of files one being (Server) the other being (Client). Now there is only a single .roe file period.

Do all maps now go to the BrewedPCServer folder as if it were the CookedPCServer was before.

Other question can (All) server admins now (REMOVE\DELETE) the CookedPCServer folder from their servers - due to space and duplication of files?

And last but not least for Game Servers (GS) do we now leave the .roe as .roe and just put that single file in both places or do they still need to be renamed .upk in the redirectfiles folder?

I also have another thread with this question and the answer someone had posted but I just want to be sure we have the cleanest of servers meaning all garbage cleaned off (Space) and then know the new process for doing it at least for (GS) Game Servers. Some of the other game server companies never had their admins rename anything so just want it to be clarified and if all I've mentioned is true this should become a Sticky by someone giving the different and proper ways depending on those game servers and their hosts. TIA

Last edited:
Upvote 0
- you can delete cookedpcserver

- you can dump all files in brewedpc (folder structure doesn't really matter for UE3), but personally I would try to follow the folder structure (ro2 maps go in brewedpcserver/maps, rs maps go in brewedpcserver/rsgame/maps)

- redirect needs to use the same file extension as the server uses, so files on the redirect need to be *.roe. (not sure if compression works but as maps are larger now you could perhaps try and use the compression system, and basically compress the maps into *.uz3 files and enable compression in rogame.ini)

- the server roe files need to be the same as the client roe files, so you should not rename the old smaller server *.upk files to *.roe, but instead use the client version or the redirect version of the map.

Upvote 0
Well (GS) Game Servers the host always had you take the larger .roe file or what was known as the client files and all you did was rename that file .upk and put it in their redirectfiles folder.

I don't think any other game server host did that.

So all I need to know now is do they still require you to do that or are they finally following the same standard. They of course never post anything anywhere about changes. Seems they change our Admin page port every release of a new patch now and they don't tell anyone then they get a thousand tickets that the admin page doesn't work.

I could submit a ticket but was just hoping someone else out here has a (GS) Game Server and is putting up new content and could answer how it's done now.

Good to know too that we can remove that folder because when you put so much custom content on your server too it can run out of space and with (GS) Game Server it requires a ticket for them to get your space back.

Upvote 0
I have been changing the .roe file to .upk and it still works.

I will try .uz3 compression sometime tomorrow. Would be great if that works though I remember someone saying in the past that the compression does very little for RO2 and is hardly worth doing.

Thats because cooking compressed files as well. Although twi released a slightly different sdk which put compression back in, so any maps made with the latest version of the SDK probably wont see any benefit with uz3 compression.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have been changing the .roe file to .upk and it still works.

I've since turned in a ticket. I've tried both leaving as .roe and renaming .upk but neither are working. My ini was never reset so the redirect is there and everything should be working, but it's not.

It downloads the files when you join but at .1 and would take everyone hours to get a single file. When that happens usually means it's trying to download the server file period.

Upvote 0