• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Rising Storm $25,000 "Banzai" Community Mapping Contest Announced!

Tripwire Interactive are proud to announce the "Banzai" Community Map Making Competition for Rising Storm. Rising Storm is racking up our highest review scores ever and PC Gamer recently named Rising Storm number 12 in it's list of the 25 best shooters of all time. In light of this success we decided to continue Tripwire Interactive's tradition of supporting our modding community with a mapping competition for Rising Storm. Last year's contest for Red Orchestra 2 produced an amazing selection of new community-made maps, so we are expecting great things from the Rising Storm mapping contest. Of course, to add some incentive, we are looking at cash and prizes totaling in excess of $25,000 - the Grand Prize is a full $10,000 in cash.

The contest starts NOW and will run with just a single judging. There will be an initial checkpoint (Checkpoint Alpha) on 3 Sep 2013, where you can submit your maps for some formal feedback from the judges. The final submission (Checkpoint Beta) is due 5 Nov 2013.

The full details for the competition, including rules and entry forms are available on the contest web page: http://www.risingstormgame.com/mapping-contest-2013. The final details of the prizes will be published soon. You don't need to submit your entry for the contest until later - but you most probably need to start working on it! Also, keep an eye on the Rising Storm Steam Workshop page for all of the new custom maps coming out: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=35450&browsesort=trend.

Good luck to all and wonderful initiative, but sincerely RO2 should have more contents, not new maps. Where are the APC's and the other tank per faction ? It's almost 2 years that RO2 have been released and we still have got just a single tank per faction. Abandon the interior animations ad go on with the old system, if it's so complicated !

This is what RO2 needs, in memory of the forsaken RO1 (especially with darkest hour mod) :IS2:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A good cause for the community and also helping history come to a new space. It would be great to see map making and outputs married up to some of the historical background of these many battles. I wonder if Tripwire could expand the judging a bit to include historical consistency. Maybe bring in a military historian to serve as a judge. It would also go a long way in pushing the educational aspects of this type of gaming. I know for me and many within my gaming community the historical education is just as important as the tactics and strategies on the field. It would be a very game company mature and responsible reach out to all those in the political critical realm.

Tripwire if you need me- I am here.

Upvote 0
Mapping is its own reward :D

haha. but getting into the sdk in all the nights and with all the crashes and the traps is a big price and then spending again all the hours to make a map.... ^^

and is anyone working on a RS-TE map execpt rekrut? My new one is not about TE. So iam disqualified with my new map, before the contest has begun. better then last time :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice to hear! Good luck to all the entrants! :D

Wunnerful - just wunnerful..... as long as the contest winners get released in a timely fashion. (without heavy handed, pressure filled and off the wall editing recommendations)

Exactly. I can already imagine what they will say about objective C on Rekrut's new map PhosphatePlant... Its tooo hard :p
:D

Upvote 0
... It would be great to see map making and outputs married up to some of the historical background of these many battles. I wonder if Tripwire could expand the judging a bit to include historical consistency....

No where in the entry criteria was any mention of historical accuracy. Though, if a map did fit the current RS theme of "real" era battlefields it certainly wouldn't hurt.

OT: You will never get a map 100% true to the actual places. I think of mapping more like making a ride at a theme park... Looks good and is fun enough to want to ride again.

Upvote 0
Would be nice to get the previous contest winners in game!

I was thinking this as well... there were other maps from the previous contest that were said to be added into the game and they haven't yet.... and here they move onto another contest for RS maps without any mention of the previous maps being added in.

It was planned for them to be added into RO2 before RS was launched, as in the other contest maps would be added in a content pack, and the next big update to the game would be RS.... but RS came along first and then the other maps just seemed to have been forgotten about.

Now there's another contest but for RS Maps..... it seems that RO2 just keeps getting abandoned again and again. Splash screens, menus, game title, the general identity of the game switches to Rising Storm and since PC Gamer released a very skewed and baseless list of games they felt were "The Best of All Time" with no basis in reality and because RS got some slightly better reviews than RO2 did (Due to its buggy launch)..... it seems as though it's all about jumping the RO2 sinking ship and placing all bets onto RS, even though RO2 is more viable than RS.

Shifting gears halfway through.... yet again.

Good luck to the contest applicants, but I'm still waiting for the RO2 stuff.

Upvote 0
From their Facebook page:
"Are there any big updates for ro2 that are coming??"

Tripwire Interactive "We are working towards releasing the second part of the first community map pack as well as working towards our next content update."

That's nice but why don't we see that in here, in their forums??

Upvote 0