• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

RS Rising Storm $25,000 "Banzai" Community Mapping Contest Announced!

Now there's another contest but for RS Maps..... it seems that RO2 just keeps getting abandoned again and again. Splash screens, menus, game title, the general identity of the game switches to Rising Storm and since PC Gamer released a very skewed and baseless list of games they felt were "The Best of All Time" with no basis in reality and because RS got some slightly better reviews than RO2 did (Due to its buggy launch)..... it seems as though it's all about jumping the RO2 sinking ship and placing all bets onto RS, even though RO2 is more viable than RS.

Here's the thing: RO2 and RS are one and the same now. They are one single game. Personally I think the updated menu UI is much better than the old RO2 one. Gone is the cliche "weathered" menu font. Any updates to Rising Storm help the Heroes of Stalingrad because the two are seamlessly joined. I do agree that the content maps should be officially added for the simple reason that it would force everyone to download them.

Upvote 0
Here's the thing: RO2 and RS are one and the same now. They are one single game.

That's a matter of perspective... I see them as two different games running under the same EXE. Separate leveling systems, separate weapons, factions, maps. Besides running on the same EXE and SOME servers running both sets of maps, that's pretty much where it ends. The community is split between those who only like RS, those who like RO2 and those who like both. I prefer RO2 and hardly play RS, and I would prefer to see those additional maps for RO2.

But this is venturing a bit off topic.

Personally I think the updated menu UI is much better than the old RO2 one.

I prefer the old one with the old music.

Gone is the cliche "weathered" menu font.

Instead for my Eastern Front experience I have Pacific Front music with Pacific themed menu..... just doesn't make sense from my perspective.

Any updates to Rising Storm help the Heroes of Stalingrad because the two are seamlessly joined.

Seamlessly? :confused: If you call a total identity take over of RO2 into RS seamless, sure.

I do agree that the content maps should be officially added for the simple reason that it would force everyone to download them.

agreed.

Upvote 0
Cool. Still no new vehicles. That means the new mapping contest will again lack of decent combined arm maps because the mappers are cut-off a huge bunch of possibilietes on map design that CA maps would offer.

Come on, to be fair, by the time the maps are actually judged and possibly put into the game officially, 6-12 months from now maybe, there is a slim slim chance we might see a new vehicle :D

Upvote 0
2 years it seems that they're not even right for a tank development expectation, opposed to the 3 moths that they were talking about

seriously, this is very shameful, and RO2 it feels forsaken. The only great pach that it've been released it was a necessary fix, due the unplayability of the original game build.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry guys, you appear to be lost. The 'whining about tanks' thread is over there.

I think the lack of vehicles ties in with little or no combined arms maps being made by TWI or the mappers. They were a tremendous pull for ROOST and its mods and the lack of vehicles affects the types of maps being made which in turn affects TWI and the players.

You may call it 'whining', but it is related in a way :p

Still, its good to hear of a contest to help boost the community.

Upvote 0
Cool. Still no new vehicles. That means the new mapping contest will again lack of decent combined arm maps because the mappers are cut-off a huge bunch of possibilietes on map design that CA maps would offer.

I am amazed. I didn't do drugs, nor did I drink this morning, but everything looks and sounds so familiar...

I think the lack of vehicles ties in with little or no combined arms maps being made by TWI or the mappers. They were a tremendous pull for ROOST and its mods and the lack of vehicles affects the types of maps being made which in turn affects TWI and the players.

You may call it 'whining', but it is related in a way :p

Still, its good to hear of a contest to help boost the community.

A lack of vehicles or talking about a lack of combined arms maps really does not belong in this thread.
RS has no vehicles and none planned.
Lets keep on topic and not try to wander off please..;)

Upvote 0
I'm also wondering if it's enough time for community mappers to design a functioning, decent map without being rushed and buggy. Most of the RO2 maps that were in the last contest were worked on for a lot longer to get to where they are now..... Some around a year, give or take.

It seems like a tight deadline when there's no maps that I see in the workshop except the existing stock maps switched from night and day.... I think I've heard a couple are being worked on, but I don't think there's going to be a large selection of maps to enter the contest.

Upvote 0
Come on, to be fair, by the time the maps are actually judged and possibly put into the game officially, 6-12 months from now maybe, there is a slim slim chance we might see a new vehicle :D

Yes, and no mapper will build a combined arms map because of that. I still doubt my children will see combined arms maps with halftracks in RO 2. This game seems abandoned.

Upvote 0
Tripwire Interactive are proud to announce the "Banzai" Community Map Making Competition for Rising Storm. Rising Storm is racking up our highest review scores ever and PC Gamer recently named Rising Storm number 12 in it's list of the 25 best shooters of all time. In light of this success we decided to continue Tripwire Interactive's tradition of supporting our modding community with a mapping competition for Rising Storm. Last year's contest for Red Orchestra 2 produced an amazing selection of new community-made maps, so we are expecting great things from the Rising Storm mapping contest. Of course, to add some incentive, we are looking at cash and prizes totaling in excess of $25,000 - the Grand Prize is a full $10,000 in cash.

The contest starts NOW and will run with just a single judging. There will be an initial checkpoint (Checkpoint Alpha) on 3 Sep 2013, where you can submit your maps for some formal feedback from the judges. The final submission (Checkpoint Beta) is due 5 Nov 2013.

The full details for the competition, including rules and entry forms are available on the contest web page: [url]http://www.risingstormgame.com/mapping-contest-2013[/URL]. The final details of the prizes will be published soon. You don't need to submit your entry for the contest until later - but you most probably need to start working on it! Also, keep an eye on the Rising Storm Steam Workshop page for all of the new custom maps coming out: [url]http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse?appid=35450&browsesort=trend[/URL].
A new Mapping contest is wonderful but I really would like to see the RO2 Mapping Contest completed. Steam Workshop needs to be fixed if we are to ever trust it again. Its still, for many, hopelessly broken.
It has been said here and other places.
Really???? Where? (links) I never saw a thing about that topic.... and I'm reading here every day.
A lack of vehicles or talking about a lack of combined arms maps really does not belong in this thread.
RS has no vehicles and none planned.
Lets keep on topic and not try to wander off please..;)
Staying on topic - The mapping contest is a great way to energize the summer doldrums... since we'll be seeing and testing the pre-release versions of the maps.

I'd be inclined to agree except that a Combined Arms map would be an integral part of anything RO/RO2/RS even if it was a bicycle. We all know that vehicles of all sorts made TWI via the Mod & RO1. All of a sudden its taboo to talk vehicles? A great mapping contest indeed and I saw nowhere that mapper included vehicles were prohibited.
So, in reality, we just might see a contending combined arms map with a vehicle or two included. After all, we saw where Rekrut was told his new Phosphateplant map was too big - yet we all played it with great success. Yep, we just might see a vehicle or two.

Upvote 0
What an insult to those who play the game and just want the vehicles that should be in the game.

**** like this makes me sick. **** your map contest if that is your attitude to players. I hope no one enters it now.:mad:

Do you honestly think more vehicles are going to come at this point? Its been 2 years....

Stop beating this dead horse.

This goes to everyone.

I know you guys wanted RO2 to have SU76s, STUGIIIs, Panthers, Tigers, IS2's T-34/85s, Hanomags, Bren Carriers, etc.

I've sort of given up on the whole idea. I just don't think its going to happen. No need to waste any more breath on this. If it was going to happen, it would have happened already.

Is it worth getting "sick" about? I enjoy RO2 way more than I ever did RO1 and granted, it would be better with those vehicles, I never played RO for its vehicles anyway. Its a loss....but not a big one by any means.

I am happy they are addressing maps before vehicles. That takes greater priority by a LONG LONG LONG shot.

Again, the above is just my take on the relative unimportance of vehicles. If they are important to you, however, I think it might be time to move to a different game....clearly, it isn't going to happen here. I don't mean that in a malicious way- I'm just trying to be realistic here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What an insult to those who play the game and just want the vehicles that should be in the game.

**** like this makes me sick. **** your map contest if that is your attitude to players. I hope no one enters it now.:mad:

Yeah - best thing for the players would be no-one entering a mapping competition for an expansion with no tanks in it, because some people seem to think that every thread is about their own particular pet peeve, the lack of tanks.

What an 'insult'. $25K worth of insulting behaviour, which is completely ignored, apparently, because some people have their panties in a bunch about tanks and seem to think that, although the last 2 years of petulant, accusing and often aggressive threads did not somehow make tanks magically appear, perhaps hijacking this thread, about a very positive development for people who like playing RS, might.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason the modders are taking so long to do tanks is because they are incredibly hard to do? Like, opening a MacDonald's on Mars level of difficulty? Did it occur to any of the people hijacking this and many other threads that putting vehicles in a game, when they account for 50% of the development effort and about 10% of the gameplay, to the detriment of other forms of development is not wise or desirable?

I doubt it did.

To return to topic, the RS team will be engaging a great deal with the mappers submitting entries to this competition and we will be doing what we can to ensure that the winning candidates get a quick turnaround on being added to an official map-pack.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe the frustration from the gamers is understandable too . We saw what some modders did with ro1 and darkest hour , they made vehicles come true , jeeps , halftrack , tanks . So people ask themselves , why cant i have a stuart on rising storm after all ?
Maybe if so many peoples ask for vehicles , its because it would be an important feature of the game , one that could attract more players too .

Upvote 0
AWESOME !!!

go mappers knock us out !!!! :D

Vehicles are important but for now iam fine with more awesome maps. Also, we dont know whats planned with part 2 of the RO2 mappack so yeah...time will tell.

I think you are wrong...look at bridges of druzina...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To return to topic, the RS team will be engaging a great deal with the mappers submitting entries to this competition and we will be doing what we can to ensure that the winning candidates get a quick turnaround on being added to an official map-pack.

Glad to hear. After submitting to the RO2 contest and receiving absolutely zero official feedback, am some what dissuaded to even enter in a RS comp. This statement has encouraged me to have a go at it, at least for the alpha phase.

Upvote 0
Maybe the frustration from the gamers is understandable too . We saw what some modders did with ro1 and darkest hour , they made vehicles come true , jeeps , halftrack , tanks . So people ask themselves , why cant i have a stuart on rising storm after all ?
Maybe if so many peoples ask for vehicles , its because it would be an important feature of the game , one that could attract more players too .
Different engine. I assume UE3 is a totally different ball game.

Upvote 0