• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Community Map Pack news - and we want your trailers!

As hoped, we are currently working with the winners of the mapping contest to bring their maps in as official Red Orchestra 2 maps. The first ones scheduled for release are:

• Arad 2 Tanks
  • Stalingrad Kessel
  • Rakowice
  • Winterwald

There will be a second pack with the other 3 contest maps (Bridges, Cold Steel and Gumrak) to follow later.

And here's an opportunity for all the budding video directors amongst y'all: to go along with the fact that it is a COMMUNITY map pack, we want to go with a COMMUNITY recorded trailer. So get your Spielbergs on and show us the parts of those maps you like the most, you think are the coolest and the best to look at. Lots of action, blood, mayhem and death, cos that is cool too :) So, get your best Fraps going and get it all together by the 28th March - yes, this Thursday. We'll grab all the footage and use the best of it to compile the trailer to go with the community map pack when that releases.

And the technical details for you:

• Record with fraps
  • Capture audio
  • Must be able to record at 30fps with Fraps running and all visual settings High or better
  • Disable the hud with "show hud" in console
  • Turn in-game music all the way down
  • Turn VOIP off or all the way down
  • Give us your best 2-3 minutes. It's ok if its split up unto multiple clips
  • Only record on the 4 maps we need footage of
  • Turn off Steam community and all other in-game pop ups or they will show on the footage.
  • Deadline is 3PM Tripwire time (Eastern US), March 28th

PM Yoshiro a direct link to your footage.

Very nice. I think maybe reading between the line here, we see that two of the four maps are re-makes of excellent Ostfront maps. This is very positive in my view at least. I can remember SO many great battles on the old Rakowice, it's an epic map. The new Stalingrad Kessel is really awesome too, it really maintains the feel of the old one but seems a bit bigger as well. The thing about that map is getting Russian players to utilize the Combat Engineer role to blow the doors. The few times I've played it, I've been German and a total of ZERO doors got blown and (obviously) the Russian side lost heavily. At any rate, Stalingrad Kessel is an excellent example of an Ostfront map that WASN'T extremely large and expansive, but which still played very well and was very balanced.

Also, we get at long last a really good tank map. Is that "Arad, 2 Tanks" or "Arad 2, Tanks"? :IS2: I reckon on the former.

And then Winterwald is an excellent custom map. It's hard to say whether I like it or Bridges better.

Maps we need in the 2nd release:
Univermag. In terms of playability and balance, this map is tops on the list. It's like a Stalingrad version of the old 'Leningrad' map, lacking only the snow, night setting, and Batman searchlight. This is a GREAT GREAT map and deserves immediate inclusion.

Gumrak Station (remake of Basovka) I love this map too. The old Ost version was the very first map I ever played in 2006. It is an EXCELLENT example of a linear front map, with limited ability for flanking BUT which still plays very balanced.

Coldsteel. I can't remember what map this was updated from, but again...immediate inclusion PLEASE.

Bridges. Speaks for itself. It's how to make a map.

My ultimate greatest hope is that TWI's devs are looking at these maps VERY critically, breaking them down and seeing what works about them. These are the maps WE like to play. This is how a good/great map looks to US. LEARN.

Upvote 0
Why FRAPS exactly? What if I prefer to use DXTory ?

This. Can we use Dxtory?

I'd be glad to help.

Hi, so we can made a trailer about only one map ? Or you need to see all map in the trailer ?

Touching the music, we can insert a music , a music with no copyright or none ?

They need clips. We aren't making our own trailers here, they will take our unedited clips in the format they desire (no HUD, high quality, etc) and form a trailer out of that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Very nice. I think maybe reading between the line here, we see that two of the four maps are re-makes of excellent Ostfront maps. This is very positive in my view at least. I can remember SO many great battles on the old Rakowice, it's an epic map. The new Stalingrad Kessel is really awesome too, it really maintains the feel of the old one but seems a bit bigger as well. The thing about that map is getting Russian players to utilize the Combat Engineer role to blow the doors. The few times I've played it, I've been German and a total of ZERO doors got blown and (obviously) the Russian side lost heavily. At any rate, Stalingrad Kessel is an excellent example of an Ostfront map that WASN'T extremely large and expansive, but which still played very well and was very balanced.

Also, we get at long last a really good tank map. Is that "Arad, 2 Tanks" or "Arad 2, Tanks"? :IS2: I reckon on the former.

And then Winterwald is an excellent custom map. It's hard to say whether I like it or Bridges better.

Maps we need in the 2nd release:
Univermag. In terms of playability and balance, this map is tops on the list. It's like a Stalingrad version of the old 'Leningrad' map, lacking only the snow, night setting, and Batman searchlight. This is a GREAT GREAT map and deserves immediate inclusion.

Gumrak Station (remake of Basovka) I love this map too. The old Ost version was the very first map I ever played in 2006. It is an EXCELLENT example of a linear front map, with limited ability for flanking BUT which still plays very balanced.

Coldsteel. I can't remember what map this was updated from, but again...immediate inclusion PLEASE.

Bridges. Speaks for itself. It's how to make a map.

My ultimate greatest hope is that TWI's devs are looking at these maps VERY critically, breaking them down and seeing what works about them. These are the maps WE like to play. This is how a good/great map looks to US. LEARN.

Arad 2 Tanks, its a tanks only map. The combined arms version may be along later when troop transports are available, obviously you haven't played it yet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
obviously you haven't played it yet.

Quite the contrary sir. Make ***umptions at your own risk.

"Arad 2, Tanks" would refer to the "second coming of Arad, again as a tanks map"

"Arad, 2 Tanks" would refer to "a new version of Arad, this time having only 2 tanks as that is all that has been made available to us by our friends at TWI"

I guess that went right over your head the first time, so I'm glad to take this opportunity to lead you by the hand.

Upvote 0
Quite the contrary sir. Make ***umptions at your own risk.

"Arad 2, Tanks" would refer to the "second coming of Arad, again as a tanks map"

"Arad, 2 Tanks" would refer to "a new version of Arad, this time having only 2 tanks as that is all that has been made available to us by our friends at TWI"

I guess that went right over your head the first time, so I'm glad to take this opportunity to lead you by the hand.
Its a tank only map you silly goose, tanks being the key word in the title :eek:

Upvote 0