• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm preview on PC Gamer

Seriously on weapon spawning, my guess is that it will be whatever the stock ROHOS game will be.

This is my fear as well, just because at the moment the majority of the playerbase is currently playing the RO2 mode that allows you to spawn with enemy weapons.

Reality is, the part of the potential playerbase one tries to attract by allowing enemy weapon spawning likely wouldn't notice a thing if the game ships without that capability, while those of us who have an appreciation for history and realism would very much like to see accurate loadouts.

Upvote 0
Core systems from RO2 are still there, including weapon unlocks, and being able to choose from certain enemy weapons. The enemy weapons that can be chosen are similar in firepower/ROF. So bolts for bolts, SMG for SMG, etc. No US guys will be spawning with swords, Japanese won't be spawning with Garands, etc.

Speaking of realistic, someone should tell this guy he wasn't being realistic back in WWII:

http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6184

Soldiers didn't just pick up weapons off the battlefield and then pitch them. Soldiers would pick up weapons and use them as their primary weapon for multiple battles if they liked them. That is what we are simulating in game, something that a soldier picked up in a previous battle.

Either way, there are game modes, and server settings so that you can disable this if you don't like it, just like in RO2.

We don't subscribe to "by the book" realism, which isn't actually realistic, we subscribe to real world realism, as in the things that really happened. And we bend the rules where it makes sense for gameplay, but then we give you the option to make it "by the book" if you want it. That way players that want that can get it, and players that don't want that don't have to play that way.

Upvote 0
Idk , a Jap spawning with a tommy gun compared to a German spawning with a PPSH? or a US marine spawning with a Katana vs a Russian with an Mg 34. Its a personal thing I guess.
Just a word of advice- you shouldn't throw around the word "jap" any more than you'd throw around the n word

Anyway, the preview looks great and I'm thoroughly stoked for this game! Glad to see they're still posting updates!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Soldiers didn't just pick up weapons off the battlefield and then pitch them. Soldiers would pick up weapons and use them as their primary weapon for multiple battles if they liked them. That is what we are simulating in game, something that a soldier picked up in a previous battle.

Either way, there are game modes, and server settings so that you can disable this if you don't like it, just like in RO2.

We don't subscribe to "by the book" realism, which isn't actually realistic, we subscribe to real world realism, as in the things that really happened. And we bend the rules where it makes sense for gameplay, but then we give you the option to make it "by the book" if you want it. That way players that want that can get it, and players that don't want that don't have to play that way.

I can see where you're coming from, but in game we aren't coming from any previous battles, people join the server and join Allies and can just pick a MG34, it doesn't feel the same, but hey we have the option to so that's alright with me.

Shame to see unlocks in though.

Upvote 0
I can see where you're coming from, but in game we aren't coming from any previous battles, people join the server and join Allies and can just pick a MG34, it doesn't feel the same, but hey we have the option to so that's alright with me.

Shame to see unlocks in though.

I think Ramm is suggesting that leveling to 50 60 70 is like a soldier fighting and becoming more experienced during world war 2.

Upvote 0
Core systems from RO2 are still there, including weapon unlocks, and being able to choose from certain enemy weapons. The enemy weapons that can be chosen are similar in firepower/ROF. So bolts for bolts, SMG for SMG, etc. No US guys will be spawning with swords, Japanese won't be spawning with Garands, etc.

Speaking of realistic, someone should tell this guy he wasn't being realistic back in WWII:

<a href="http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6184" target="_blank">http://ww2db.com/image.php?image_id=6184

Well, in a nutshell, that's why I'll play Classic.

I have more respect for you than most people on these forums, Ramm, I must say, but...

...there's just no excuse when it comes to the Pacific theater. The only stories I've ever heard of American troops purposefully choosing to use Japanese firearms occurred in connection with desperate defensive stands, such as the battle for the Point on Peleliu, when a platoon of Marines bolstered their line with two captured Type 99 machine guns, or the seesaw struggles over Walt's Ridge later on in the battle, where Americans were using anything--rocks, K-Bars, helmets, fists, and enemy small arms--to beat back Japanese counterattacks after running out of ammunition.

No Marine disembarking from an amtrack on the beaches of Iwo Jima or hitting the coral on Betio would carry a Type 38 he picked up from Peleliu. It doesn't share ammunition or parts commonality with friendly forces, it's a vastly inferior weapon, and the sound of a shot might attract friendly fire. That's disregarding the fact that everyone from his platoon sergeant to the company commander would chew him out for pulling such a stunt, and the fact that he may have been recuperating in New Zealand, Melbourne, on Pavavu, or in a military hospital somewhere since the last battle for a period of several months, during which he would have exchanged weapons...

And as for the Japanese, there's no way in HELL a member of the garrison on Betio, Peleliu, Iwo, Saipan, Okinawa, or Guadalcanal could get ahold of an American weapon on the majority of the maps to be featured, because for many Japanese troops during the island fighting, their first battle was also their last. Add in the unfamiliarity with the weapon, logistical issues, etc... and it crosses well into the realm of the ridiculous.

To make a long story short, I'm afraid it really just didn't happen. A borrowed Nambu pistol, maybe, but that's the whole extent of it.

The Eastern Front is a whole different ball game. Millions of weapons and billions of rounds of ammunition being captured by both sides, with soldiers often remaining on the front for months or even years in succession. Enemy unlocks make SOME sense there, but still RO2 goes too far... there's just no practical reason for a Soviet to carry an MKB-42 in Stalingrad, and there's an argument to be made that he might even be sent to a penal battalion for seeming to favor a fascist weapon.

(David M Glantz once found a case of a Russian rifleman being sentenced to a penal battalion for just complimenting the MG42's qualities as a weapon--I can forward you the PDF if you like, it's a good read regarding crime and punishment in the Red Army).

I don't like it, and most of the realism-focused crowd doesn't like it either. As for the others, like I said, they don't care one way or the other. It's a poor choice, but it's your design choice to make, and I respect that.

Hey, maybe it'll push more people to Classic Mode. ;) (that's addressed to you guys, forum people). That's where I'll be.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well, in a nutshell, that's why I'll play Classic.

I have more respect for you than most people on these forums, Ramm, I must say, but...

...there's just no excuse when it comes to the Pacific theater. The only stories I've ever heard of American troops purposefully choosing to use Japanese firearms occurred in connection with desperate defensive stands, such as the battle for the Point on Peleliu, when a platoon of Marines bolstered their line with two captured Type 99 machine guns, or the seesaw struggles over Walt's Ridge later on in the battle, where Americans were using anything--rocks, K-Bars, helmets, fists, and enemy small arms--to beat back Japanese counterattacks after running out of ammunition.

No Marine disembarking from an amtrack on the beaches of Iwo Jima or hitting the coral on Betio would carry a Type 38 he picked up from Peleliu. It doesn't share ammunition or parts commonality with friendly forces, it's a vastly inferior weapon, and the sound of a shot might attract friendly fire. That's disregarding the fact that everyone from his platoon sergeant to the company commander would chew him out for pulling such a stunt, and the fact that he may have been recuperating in New Zealand, Melbourne, on Pavavu, or in a military hospital somewhere since the last battle for a period of several months, during which he would have exchanged weapons...

And as for the Japanese, there's no way in HELL a member of the garrison on Betio, Peleliu, Iwo, Saipan, Okinawa, or Guadalcanal could get ahold of an American weapon on the majority of the maps to be featured, because for many Japanese troops during the island fighting, their first battle was also their last. Add in the unfamiliarity with the weapon, logistical issues, etc... and it crosses well into the realm of the ridiculous.

To make a long story short, I'm afraid it really just didn't happen. A borrowed Nambu pistol, maybe, but that's the whole extent of it.

The Eastern Front is a whole different ball game. Millions of weapons and billions of rounds of ammunition being captured by both sides, with soldiers often remaining on the front for months or even years in succession. Enemy unlocks make SOME sense there, but still RO2 goes too far... there's just no practical reason for a Soviet to carry an MKB-42 in Stalingrad, and there's an argument to be made that he might even be sent to a penal battalion for seeming to favor a fascist weapon.

(David M Glantz once found a case of a Russian rifleman being sentenced to a penal battalion for just complimenting the MG42's qualities as a weapon--I can forward you the PDF if you like, it's a good read regarding crime and punishment in the Red Army).

I don't like it, and most of the realism-focused crowd doesn't like it either. As for the others, like I said, they don't care one way or the other. It's a poor choice, but it's your design choice to make, and I respect that.

Hey, maybe it'll push more people to Classic Mode. ;) (that's addressed to you guys, forum people). That's where I'll be.

Servers can disable it still.

Upvote 0
Enemy weapon loadouts should be disabled by default but of course a option for server admins (who should have pretty much 100% freedom when it comes to server settings). A lot of people already dislike enemy weapon loadouts in RO2 and while RS is a addon to RO2 I dont see much reason for having it on default in the game just because RO2 has it.

Do not forget that when it came to interviews and videos about rising storm one of the terms that was used the most was asymmetrical gameplay. Enemy weapon loadouts are actually undermining this and people will be disappointed.

Upvote 0
Do not forget that when it came to interviews and videos about rising storm one of the terms that was used the most was asymmetrical gameplay. Enemy weapon loadouts are actually undermining this and people will be disappointed.
my thoughts exactly. Why put so much thought into making the factions balanced ( and from the sound of it very interesting ) and then turn around and give enemy loadouts ? *confused* ( just reverse the DEFAULT setting, if for convinience sake only for RS , if possible )

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry Ramm-Jaeger, but I really disagree with your post!
Spawning with enemy weapon loadout is a big flaw in the game in my opinion.
It is no fun to play a game where russian machinegunners all use the MG34, or their assault troops carrying the Mbk. And this happens alot and will happen more as the leveling system will reach its limit.
Do you really think that an army can so easily provide their troops with so many variation in weapons and munition? That is exactly what hampered the germans on the western front. They used alot captured foreign artillery, but lacked the ammunitions for it, making them useless.
In the game you can pick up weapons from the ground, so if you really want that enemy gun, you will have to scavange for it. And when you finally found what you were looking for, you will treasure it. Right now, you spawn with it, you get killed, but no problem, next time I'll just spawn with that weapon again...
Look at the poll regarding the removal of enemy weapon loadout on the RO2 section. It's pretty obvious.
Regarding the server side option to change this, well, make it default that there is no enemy weapon loadout. Like said before, it seems that alot of servers just use the default settings and don't seem to know how to change settings. And it's not that there a so many servers out there to choose from to see which one has enemy weapon loadout disabled.
I say again, enemy weapon loadout is not a good idea, both for RO2 as for RS. But do what you want, it is your game after all.

Upvote 0
Servers can disable it still.

If they really want to include enemy weapon unlocks, I think it should be turned off by default. Most servers don't seem to deviate from the default settings.

... and what others have said.

This. It should be off by default. Its fine having the choice as TWI has always stated, but seriously you have to question why its not off by default with the choice of server admins to turn it on? It really is little things like this added up with others that make you/us question decisions. When you actually think about it, can you see why some players say you are trying to make the game appear more COD-like?*

*as I have said, I don't think ROHOS plays anything like COD, but little features here and there like this are more likely to annoy your base players and appear to be a play to cater to the COD type crowd

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have to agree, I was quietly hoping this had been removed from Rising Storm.

I wouldn't mind if it was the odd sidearm/whatever, but when entire weapon sets are interchangeable it does eat away at any sense of authenticity and makes it feel more like a 'game' as stupid as some may think that sounds.

As others have said, don't make the same mistake twice.

Upvote 0