• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rising Storm preview on PC Gamer

Some will probably because in a video game like RO2/RS you have a lot of 1on1 situations and sounds like reloading can be heard very clearly over greater distances and over background noise.

Coming back to the historical side of this, the only documented statement I found about this said this:
According to former German soldiers, the sound was inaudible during engagements and not particularly useful when heard, as other squad members might have been nearby ready to fire.

Upvote 0
MeFirst i think you may be delving too deep over the whole ping business. Even if it is documented to a very little degree, hampering its historical accuracy. In the end the thing to remember is that it's a Video Game. Along with the players not being trained Japanese soldiers.

The more content the better, even if some would say it is no 100% fitting or accurate with flaws. It's content none the less. And you yourself as a player will be able to choose whether to use this in-game or ignore it.

Upvote 0
Some will probably because in a video game like RO2/RS you have a lot of 1on1 situations and sounds like reloading can be heard very clearly over greater distances and over background noise.

Coming back to the historical side of this, the only documented statement I found about this said this:

Silly question, but have you ever fired an M1 Garand? Have you ever heard the sound of the clip ejecting? I did just a couple of weeks ago. And at a shooting range, with about 15 people firing guns all around me, AND with earplugs in my ear, I could still clearly hear the sound of the clip ejecting. It is a VERY unique sound, and it is very loud. It is almost like a bell being rung. It is very loud, clear and resonant. So commenting from actual hands on M1 Garand experience, yes you could hear this thing in the next room if someone bounced it off their helmet.

Upvote 0
how about maps and vehicles in Rising Storm, can you say something?Will be a there a sort of differenciation like RO2(close combat, long range maps, tanks)?

I think you'll annouce release date at GDC, but...how may works do you need to complete game?Can I expect the game in the next two months?

Another question: how the merge with RO2 will works? Will be a rotation map on server where there are rising storm maps and RO2 maps?If so, I don't think it's a good idea.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And a lot more.

You'd do that, just for me? How sweet of you :D:D

About the whole "fake reload" thing, it couldn't hurt to have, honestly. There is nothing bad about it, even if it doesn't fit your historically accurate needs it can still make for a neat feature to have in game regardless.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
KNEE MORTARS.
Guadalcanal.
Consider me stoked!

Regarding the M1 Garand en-bloc clip stories, I have heard in my own independent reading of this exact ruse de guerre being employed both in the Pacific and in city fighting in Europe. The stories are definitely out there...

Here's an excerpt from a quick Google Books search: "Reportedly, some soldiers in the Pacific retained one or two spent clips, and in an attempt to provoke a banzai charge would fire a couple of rounds then throw the clip as if it had just been ejected." The book does then go on to qualify the previous statement by stating that some veterans believed this usage to have been a myth, albeit one contemporary to the war. (The M1 Garand, Leroy Thompson--a quick Google Books search will bring it up. Doesn't seem like that reliable of a source, but it's a start.)

Not sure exactly how common it was, but the idea at least appears to have floated around.

EDIT: Never touched one myself, but I have heard a Garand fired at the range before, and the sound of the ejecting clip is extremely distinctive. Might not hear it during a bombardment, but during a quieter moment? Absolutely. Not sure about how different emptying the magazine sounds compared to striking an empty clip against a helmet, I must admit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Regarding the fake clip sound, obviously this would not be any major tactic deployed through out the whole of the allies forces, cant see it being practiced between reloading on the range for new recruits or in between gas mask training so lets get over that. However I can understand the "Grandpa" rise of this tactic being used in more personal situations and for myself that is enough.

As to the loudness of the actual clip discharge, if you where to fake/change a clip in say the jungle this sound would reverberate loudly enough to draw attention to a certain area for sure, pulling attention away from possible flanking forces. Another feasible use for allies is any IJA trapped in a bunker could take the fake sounds as a chance to make a dash for it even if it leads to a dash to death. So it is a feasible tactic albeit not of mainstream design.

However as a tool and tactic used in "game" I feel it is a little neat addition and I am sure ill use it in the more intimate settings of CQC , end lives of a countdown round or simply to try and add confusion in a small scrim.

"May i ask. How much of the underlying design decisions are "original" and which ones are TWI injected ?"

Without sounding to much like cheese, this project has been of mutual design for the most part. We work as one team in both design and development, more so as the project moves closer to beta/release. The first 12 months or so of the projects development was a time for the RS members to gather concepts/ideas/mechanics and role them up into a playable experience.

Once we got to this stage and had found our own feet TW started to take an active role either by simply patting us on the back or offering refinements to existing designs. The fact that TW as had quite a few of the RS members in their offices for sometimes months at a time, both for development and design is testament to this and has been a relationship of mutual respect and injection.

However you have to understand that at the end of the day this product is to be shipped under tripwires name not RS's. As such TW have to be happy with the quality and experience RS provides and reserve any rights in this regard.

I would just like to take this time to say thank you very much. The support you guys provide throughout the different sites relating to this project and it's media is nice to see. We hope that we return that to you in full with a fun game.

Cheers filthy

( Everything stated is me and me alone, not any kind of official response)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Silly question, but have you ever fired an M1 Garand? Have you ever heard the sound of the clip ejecting? I did just a couple of weeks ago. And at a shooting range, with about 15 people firing guns all around me, AND with earplugs in my ear, I could still clearly hear the sound of the clip ejecting. It is a VERY unique sound, and it is very loud. It is almost like a bell being rung. It is very loud, clear and resonant. So commenting from actual hands on M1 Garand experience, yes you could hear this thing in the next room if someone bounced it off their helmet.

This. I own several examples and they all sound the same in that regard. This was a common tactic , although not taught in basic training, it was demonstrated to newly incoming replacements by those who used it.

Odly enough a Japaneese tactic used was to lower their weapon and turn around like they were running away playing on the natural human response not to kill anything that wasn't fighting back. Then after a few steps in the opposite direction they would swing their rifles around after the Americans lowered their weapons and fire. My Grandfather (2nd Marines / 6 invasions) said after a while watching friends get hit due to this tactic, they would just shoot them in the back when they turned around.

The only thing they could figure was they realized they were outgunned facing Garands and Thompsons with bolt action rifles , and had to resort to some unorthodox tactics. Theres lots to be learned about what actually happened there by talking with folks that were there. I'm glad this game steps out of the box in that regard.

Upvote 0
First I'll agree completely with what Justyn said, this has been a team effort. The RS guys did a really great job of coming up with some really cool ideas for the asymmetrical gameplay between the Americans and the Japanese. And the TWI guys worked with them to polish those ideas until they were super awesome!

For the record the Garand ping trick was my idea, so if you hate it blame me ;)

Upvote 0