• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mapping Contest Results and Interviews

If "Vox populi" did'nt count i'm not surprised...

I'm not a fan of dictatorships :IS2:
There are so many of us that don't even use Steam Workshop or gave up on it after a time (or for that matter use Steam for anything other than purchasing games.) Much like these forums, what goes on in Steam is not necessarily a good cross section or indication of the 'typical' player.

Thanks to all who spend their time mapping and modding. Congrats to the winners. All are great works.

Upvote 0
There are so many of us that don't even use Steam Workshop or gave up on it after a time (or for that matter use Steam for anything other than purchasing games.)

You should give it another shot Floyd. The Steam workshop implementation for RO2 had a rough launch, but its come a long way. And it really is a great way for mappers to get visibility on their maps. Steam will also download content from workshop now when you aren't even playing. So that means less time spent downloading while you are in-game connecting to a server. Also, as we work with the community mappers to get their maps polished up for official release, we'll be relying heavily on distributing the WIP maps through workshop until they are polished up enough for official release.

Upvote 0
You should give it another shot Floyd. The Steam workshop implementation for RO2 had a rough launch, but its come a long way. And it really is a great way for mappers to get visibility on their maps. Steam will also download content from workshop now when you aren't even playing. So that means less time spent downloading while you are in-game connecting to a server. Also, as we work with the community mappers to get their maps polished up for official release, we'll be relying heavily on distributing the WIP maps through workshop until they are polished up enough for official release.

Perhaps.... but it STILL downloads to players while they're in a match. That.... is not satisfactory. It would be nice to shut down the Redirect Servers in favor of SWS, but we cannot for that reason and the fact that it has a 200mb file size limit. That in itself is unreasonably prohibitive and reason enough to avoid SWS.

When SWS can supply the maps in an efficient, considerate manner along with the server files then its correct to offer that SWS has "come a long way". Right now, SWS still leaves a great deal to be desired.

Relying heavily or forcing users to use SWS?

I'll stick with the redirect system and the direct from the mapper downloads until its established that SWS is transparent, unintrusive and can handle larger file sizes that 200mb.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Perhaps.... but it STILL downloads to players while they're in a match. That.... is not satisfactory. It would be nice to shut down the Redirect Servers in favor of SWS, but we cannot for that reason and the fact that it has a 200mb file size limit. That in itself is unreasonably prohibitive and reason enough to avoid SWS.

When SWS can supply the maps in an efficient, considerate manner along with the server files then its correct to offer that SWS has "come a long way". Right now, SWS still leaves a great deal to be desired.

Relying heavily or forcing users to use SWS?

I'll stick with the redirect system and the direct from the mapper downloads until its established that SWS is transparent, unintrusive and can handle larger file sizes that 200mb.

SWS has never been presented by TWI as a server solution. So please continue to use whatever works best for you for your servers. For clients I think it is a really cool system, and one that has a lot of benefits. The 200MB file limit covers almost all custom maps out there. Additionally, mappers can create groups on workshop if they have content that is over 200MB (such as maps with large supporting packages) and clients can subscribe to those to get all the necessary files.

Also, now that Valve has updated Steam workshop to be able to handle updating servers as well, not just clients, it is something we'll be investigating for future updates.

Upvote 0
Congratulations to Kieran Tobin and Danh Truong for creating unique maps we we will all remember!
Wintervald, I must say, I can really feel the cold.
Bidges is a masterpice too, the idea of just haveing one tank is great.
It's pretty cool that people who have never mapped for red orchestra, let alone played Ostfront is one of the winners.
Thanks for sharing your knowlage too Danh. The tips and tutorials are great!

Upvote 0