• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Free Content: Barashka and Countdown Mode

The new map is definitely cool. Sadly, the tank damage model is still random and terrible compared to Ostfront, which reduces my enjoyment of the map a lot. Tanks also still get stuck in scenery (requiring you to fire the main gun and use recoil to dislodge you), and still instantly switch ammunition types. Fix the bloody armor system already and add more tanks. Screw the interiors. Noone can claim with a straight face that tanking here is better than in Red Orchestra. I'd gladly switch out the random diceroll damage system for Ostfronts tank angling, even though it was over the top. Can anyone remind me again why I'm controlling my turret with the mouse instead of WASD?

Also, nobody cares about experience or the unlock system (wake up), so it's not a lure to get people to play Countdown. I didn't see a single player playing Countdown after downloading the patch.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Noone can claim with a straight face that tanking here is better than in Red Orchestra. I'd gladly switch out the random diceroll damage system for Ostfronts tank angling, even though it was over the top.

There are various armored plates with different armor values and angles. The shells check against those plates when they hit them and this decides if a round penetrates or not.

In some states there are chances of armor penetration instead of full on deflection or penetration. This is part of tank ballistics and modeled in game.

Upvote 0
By diceroll I mean, you see penetration all the time. But after-armor effect is so random it's terrible. Sometimes a tank takes 3 penetrations before blowing up. It's so unreliable. You'd think after penetration you'd royally mess the tank up and at least stun it. Here, another guy wipes his friends' brains off the gun controls, takes his place and you exchange shells 'till one of you blows up. If your tank gets penetrated and all that happens is your engine turning yellow and your track turning yellow, it's just stupid.

Your system sounds great. But terrible after-armor effect just make it terribly frustrating to play compared to Ostfront. It's the reason you don't see any tank servers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Weird, I've been consequently getting stuck in the bridge at Barashka and many objects in other maps. Edit: It may be a lag-related issue. I've just bumped into a little fence-entrance at Barashka and every time I back up and steer around it it resets me to the same position after a few seconds, like the server still thinks I'm there. I had to back my tank up 40 meters before it stopped doing that.

It's a minor issue compared to the unreliable damage model though.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
How can you not be aware of this bug? Drive full speed into any wall or decent-sized object and you'll get stuck. Been there since release, and it's not specific spots.

More annoying than that is when your tank 'ghosts' i.e. drive through a spot thats just to small for your tank to get through and a few seconds later you'll be lagged back to your original spot and can easily get stuck whilst this is happening.

Also, Bashraka needs troop carriers, but nonetheless is still fun to play as it is. Please do a remake of Basovka, that was possibly my favourite RO1 map.

Upvote 0
It was one of the winners of the counterattack mapping contest, a Basovka remake.

I know. I just have never seen it on a server, while I have played all the other winners of that contest and several of them has become staple maps on a lot of servers I frequent. I just wondered about the reason for that. Perhaps people mistake it for Gumrak?

Upvote 0