• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mapping Contest Phase 1 Winners

Bridges was the best map and it deserved to win, no if buts or maybes about it.

No CD support does not stop it from being the best map there is, it is that simple.

The best map can always have CD added later, CD should not be a sticking point, more so because of its popularity.

What is important is to award the creativity which created the best map, which is obviously bridges, i would hate it if i made map of lesser quality and won on a technicality, just wouldnt be right.

(i thought Coldsteel was 3rd, i felt univermag was 2nd.)

Upvote 0
As I see it now and we forget the Countdown rule. I can't see where I have to polish and tweak Coldsteel some more when it has

all required RO HOS features, good performance and full of detail and did not make it to a map which did not have full working spawnprotection, no map

zone textures, and needed more polishing and detail afterall.

I tried to deliver a map as closed as finished as possible with all available gametypes. It turned out it wasn't enough.
As it seems criterias have some flexability I don't see where to give more.

Drecks, I agree with the rule change being unfair, but that aside...I do find it disappointing that all this wording is steering things away from the CD rule change to my map not being "polished" enough to win. I would hope there's more to it than that. Polish was only part of the criteria - it's not all there was to the contest. Please consider that TW would have judged the maps on other elements essential to gameplay, level design and player experience that you do not mention.

Upvote 0
Congrats

Congrats

Harley congrats m8 you map is awesome

To the rest - your maps are equally (in my view) awesome

The Winners
The RO2 community who have people like you guys who spend countless hours creating these maps.

To all of you map makers & modders.......you have my gratitude and my utmost respect.

Upvote 0
Damn I wish I didnt cancel Project Barrikady now.

Congratulations guys! Well deserved!

I think a great many others wish you had not cancelled the Barrikady project.

Its understandable as the game at that time was getting a lot of flak from people who never really understood TWI's long term support plan for RO2.

Yet here we are 1 year later with lots of custom maps, an official vehicle mod team busy with new vehicles and a new expansion on the horizon.

Where are those same voices now?..Most are long gone..

Upvote 0
I like all the maps that were made and many thanks go to the guys that did them

BUt i think TWI are wrong you cant post rules on what you have to do then change em at the end thats Just not right or fair - dont get me wrong i love bridges but i feel for the others who feel cheated

Upvote 0
Congrats to all winners!

IMO, the rule about supporting all game types is bad. Judge the map on the overall. IMO, an Excellent TE-only map deserves to win against a Good TE/CD map. According to the rules, Harley should not have won, although IMO, he had the best map. The rule change should have been made clear, and more time should have been allowed to map makers, as a counterpart.

Support for all gametypes should not be mandatory. CTF-Warehouse could not even enter the contest for that reason... it's just impossible to play TE on that map. If Mad_Fred had known about the rule change, I'm sure he would have submitted something, with CTF, maybe CD and FF maybe. We discussed that months ago, but the "All Gametypes" blocked the process.

So, what are the rules for phase 2? An update might be required to avoid more frustration from the mappers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In a contest you have to stick to the rules. According to this Drecks is totally right to feel cheated.

According to player numbers Bridges seems to be more popular until now. Nobody knows what Drecks would have had presented if he had used the time and work spent on "functionality" according to the rules standards (i.e. f.g. spawnprotection. countdown a.s.o) for different stuff.

Imho Drecks wanted to get coldsteel to be professionally made from the basis. Thus the first iterations of coldsteel where less appealing than the first versions of bridges. That did hurt the popularity of coldsteel.

I see a top down approach on bridges and a down up om coldsteel.

From my point of view both and also univermag are great maps. With coldsteel and bridges on top.

@ Drecks: allthough you are right, please consider that you are a kind of rolemodel and mentor for third party mappers and that quitting RO2 mapping is senseless destruction.

Last edited:
Upvote 0