• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Mapping Contest Phase 1 Winners

Without further ado, the top 3 in the "Best Original Level" category are:
  1. Bridges of Druzhina - wins $2,500, an Intel Motherboard DZ68DB and a Core I7-2700k CPU
  2. Coldsteel - wins $1,000
  3. Univermag - wins $500
The other category was for "Best Remake". Here we were really excited to see which of the old maps from Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 and even the Red Orchestra mod days would be brought forward. The winners are:
  1. Gumrak Station (a remake of the original Basovka) - wins $2,500
  2. Arad 2 - wins $1,000
  3. Ogledow - wins $500
We want to see more of the old favorites appearing!

So far, that is $8,000 in cash given away, plus hardware. Breakout, Phase 2 of the contest, is on now reaches its' conclusion on 30th November. Many of the first round maps have been heavily updated - and many new ones have appeared. This time, there is $15,000 in cash prizes, a top-of-the-line Origin laptop, custom painted and a whole bunch of other hardware to give away. To the mappers - make sure you get your entries in on time! And for all the rest of us, go play the new maps out on the public servers and let us (and the creators) have your feedback. Soon, you will be able to grab new maps and other content through the Steam Workshop for RO2!

Without further ado, the top 3 in the "Best Original Level" category are:
  1. Bridges of Druzhina - wins $2,500, an Intel Motherboard DZ68DB and a Core I7-2700k CPU
  2. Coldsteel - wins $1,000
  3. Univermag - wins $500
The other category was for "Best Remake". Here we were really excited to see which of the old maps from Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 and even the Red Orchestra mod days would be brought forward. The winners are:
  1. Gumrak Station (a remake of the original Basovka) - wins $2,500
  2. Arad 2 - wins $1,000
  3. Ogledow - wins $500
We want to see more of the old favorites appearing!

So far, that is $8,000 in cash given away, plus hardware. Breakout, Phase 2 of the contest, is on now reaches its' conclusion on 30th November. Many of the first round maps have been heavily updated - and many new ones have appeared. This time, there is $15,000 in cash prizes, a top-of-the-line Origin laptop, custom painted and a whole bunch of other hardware to give away. To the mappers - make sure you get your entries in on time! And for all the rest of us, go play the new maps out on the public servers and let us (and the creators) have your feedback. Soon, you will be able to grab new maps and other content through the Steam Workshop for RO2!

Congratulations to all the winners and THANKS to all the creators and Tripwire for supporting them!

Upvote 0
I was amazed why judging ten maps took so long but the longer it took the more clear it got to me something wasn't right and had to be fixed. Still it took way to long.

As it was clear by day 1 that Harley did not submitt a Countdown version for his map it did not apply to the rules of the contest.

So it took way to long we heared anything for the contest and then we seen the announcement of 20th octobre to look for a way to change phase 1 rules. By then I knew for sure what was going on, but never expected that changing rules on the fly would really made it. But it happend and the result is here.

As the map is very popular by the players and forum members it was almost impossible to not let in in the contest. So I understand the thoughts of TWI.

Still I had trust that other criteria like polish and and proper use of RO2 features would count enough. But its clear by now that did not matter anymore. The audience needed to be pleased.

Its a welldone map and Harley contributed a nice set of trees and assets for the community, but so did other mappers. In its present state the map needs much more polish and even don't have spawnprotection on some important areas of the map. These are other criteria mentioned in the rules.

As I dont think I will find some motivation for me there ain't no land behind this phase 1. Guess I better have to focus on real life issues and leave gaming for a while. Guess my wife will welcome this news with a big smile.

Now I might sound a bad looser. I'm not I just can't beat changing rules.

Greets Drecks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was amazed why judging ten maps took so long but the longer it took the more clear it got to me something wasn't right and had to be fixed. Still it took way to long.
Still I had trust that other criteria like polish and and proper use of RO2 features would count enough. But its clear by now that did not matter anymore.
As I dont think I will find some motivation for me there ain't no land behind this phase 1. Guess I better have to focus on real life issues and leave gaming for a while. Guess my wife will welcome this news with a big smile.
Now I might sound a bad looser. I'm not I just can't beat changing rules.
Greets Drecks.

Seconded. To change rules AFTER entries are submitted isn't right. To take 76 days to do it compounds the problem. All entries in both categories ought to be held to the rules and they weren't in either.

Rather than leaving gaming though, I think I'll chart a different course for the coming year.

Having said that, thanks to everyone who helped me, thanks to Tripwire and especially certain of the guys on staff and regular players and server admins who went above and beyond to show me how to make stuff work in the SDK, especially back in the early pioneer days before there were any custom maps and we were all figuring it out as we went along. Congratulations to not only the contestants, but to everyone who dug into the editor, who helped test maps, and even those who destroyd my tanks just as I was lining up a perfect shot. :)

Six_Ten

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I must just say that Bridges of Druzhina is a great winner! Harley have done a awesome work on that map and it is by far my favorite map both in gameplay and artistic design.

Great work everyone! I love all the custom maps, it is with joy I kill and get killed on any part of custom, cummunity made mesh in this game. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Congrats to all the winners. Thanks for all the custom maps. The game is better from your efforts.

On a side note, I was really suprised to see that the best remade map winner for RO: Ost wasn't Ogledow. The ro2 version of that map is nearly identical to the original. The map plays well too. I wonder if not having halftracks and and the other cariers affected the outcome?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Congratulation to all the winners!

Drecks, bud, i understand your frustration and i don't disagree with you being angry about the whole thing. However looking at from another perspective, we'd still make maps for this game, even if there were no contest. it's because what we like to do,MAP!

I'm not trying to speak for you, or anyone else, But TWI didn't have to give away anything, and people would still mod for RO2. Just in-fact they are even doing a contest is great! how many other gaming companies do this? hell, how many other companies even give their community a chance to mod for their game.

TBH even if i didn't win, I'd be happy as long as they'd add my map to the next official patch.

I'm going to donate all my winnings to the person of my choice. and Dreck you're the front runner for now to get. ;)

Keep your head up bud, life is toooooooo short! :D

Once again congrats to the winners! :D

Upvote 0
I can understand Dreck's point of view and agree that changing the rules in any competition only hurts the game in the long run.

That being said, congratulations to all the winners! (and non-winners) I think that anyone who actually gets a map to the playable stage deserves an award from the community even if it's just a virtual pat-on-the-back. Thank you for all of your time and hard work!

Upvote 0
It turned out like I told you Wolverine.

I'm a stubborn proud Dutchy. You better keep your money. Buy yourself a present.

I understand your post about TWI didn't have to do anything.
No contest no prices nothing at all. But they did and when you do, do it good. Not announce a contest full of rules and criteria and then far beyond the deathline change the rules to how it suits best and forget other criteria.

I know enough by now and its cleat this is not where I belong. Its getting late here anyway.

Upvote 0
Forgive me in advance, but...

...from a legal perspective, Six_Ten and Drecks are right. Rules are rules, and should be equally applied to all.

...that said, it is Tripwire's full right to change the rules that they choose to change. Imagine that a gamebreaking bug was discovered with regards to AI pathing after the contest deadline, and Tripwire removed the AI pathing requirement, allowing a map without bot functionality to win. They would have had a reason to pull AI pathing from the list of requirements, and they would have done it.

Similarly, Countdown is relatively unpopular, and still a rather unfinished, unrefined gamemode with multiple bugs even now. For instance, the mode is basically unplayable if you're the only person in a non-bot-enabled CD server or a non-bot-enabled server that has switched to CD, preventing certain CD servers from ever getting populated.

It wasn't exactly fair to remove Countdown as a requirement two months down the line, but it wasn't exactly an unjustified decision.

Now, from a qualitative standpoint, I have to say that one should not depend on winning a map contest because the strongest competition has been eliminated due to a technicality.

I just want it to be clear that I'm not trying to bash anyone by saying that. I enjoy Coldsteel immensely, and think it would be a strong contender for Phase 2. Drecks, you still have a great shot, and you might just clinch the grand prize yet!

Congratulations to all SIX winners, and my heartfelt thanks to all competitors for their efforts and dedication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0