Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.

Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.

General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.

• There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!

DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.

Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.

Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.

A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Mapping Contest Phase 1 Winners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulation to all the winners!

Drecks, bud, i understand your frustration and i don't disagree with you being angry about the whole thing. However looking at from another perspective, we'd still make maps for this game, even if there were no contest. it's because what we like to do,MAP!

I'm not trying to speak for you, or anyone else, But TWI didn't have to give away anything, and people would still mod for RO2. Just in-fact they are even doing a contest is great! how many other gaming companies do this? hell, how many other companies even give their community a chance to mod for their game.

TBH even if i didn't win, I'd be happy as long as they'd add my map to the next official patch.

I'm going to donate all my winnings to the person of my choice. and Dreck you're the front runner for now to get.

Keep your head up bud, life is toooooooo short!

Once again congrats to the winners!

Comment

It turned out like I told you Wolverine.

I'm a stubborn proud Dutchy. You better keep your money. Buy yourself a present.

I understand your post about TWI didn't have to do anything.
      No contest no prices nothing at all. But they did and when you do, do it good. Not announce a contest full of rules and criteria and then far beyond the deathline change the rules to how it suits best and forget other criteria.

I know enough by now and its cleat this is not where I belong. Its getting late here anyway.

Comment

Forgive me in advance, but...

...from a legal perspective, Six_Ten and Drecks are right. Rules are rules, and should be equally applied to all.

...that said, it is Tripwire's full right to change the rules that they choose to change. Imagine that a gamebreaking bug was discovered with regards to AI pathing after the contest deadline, and Tripwire removed the AI pathing requirement, allowing a map without bot functionality to win. They would have had a reason to pull AI pathing from the list of requirements, and they would have done it.

Similarly, Countdown is relatively unpopular, and still a rather unfinished, unrefined gamemode with multiple bugs even now. For instance, the mode is basically unplayable if you're the only person in a non-bot-enabled CD server or a non-bot-enabled server that has switched to CD, preventing certain CD servers from ever getting populated.

It wasn't exactly fair to remove Countdown as a requirement two months down the line, but it wasn't exactly an unjustified decision.

Now, from a qualitative standpoint, I have to say that one should not depend on winning a map contest because the strongest competition has been eliminated due to a technicality.

I just want it to be clear that I'm not trying to bash anyone by saying that. I enjoy Coldsteel immensely, and think it would be a strong contender for Phase 2. Drecks, you still have a great shot, and you might just clinch the grand prize yet!

Congratulations to all SIX winners, and my heartfelt thanks to all competitors for their efforts and dedication.
        Last edited by Nikita; 10-31-2012, 09:13 PM.
        sigpic
        Classic forever.

Comment

Congratulations for all the winners! Well deserved IMHO! As for the losers, they deserve as much praise as the winners. Thank you all, both winners and losers, for the great maps you've been bringing this year.

And TWI, so all these six winning maps are going to become stock maps? Please, do that
          sigpic

Comment

Congrats all around!

Comment

All I can say to the guys upset about how long the judging took is that we'll work hard to do better for the next phase. It's REALLY difficult to squeeze map judging into our schedule of game development and updates (one thing that side tracked us was busting our nuts to get Steam workshop support in to help support the mod community for our games), and we always underestimate just how much work judging a map contest is. You don't just play the map, you have to play them over and over again to really get a good feel for them and to give all the maps a fair shake.

Then you have to spend hours writing up feedback. I personally spent 6 hours today writing up feedback for the mappers. Detailed feedback with screenshots, and suggestions that could very well help the mappers win in the next round if they take the suggestions to heart.

So it is my hope that those that wish they had done better take a deep breath, cool down, listen to the feedback we'll be giving them tomorrow, and give it all they've got for phase 2. You can't win if you don't try, and in the end it's really the community that wins if you don't give up!
              [I support "RO Forums Classic" mode!!!]

Comment

http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...60#post1123660

Page 9 is the interesting part.

Don't know what to say really. Now the 2 most supported and liked custom maps until the deadline were Coldsteel and Bridges. Deadline passed and Bridges did not support CD.

Originally posted by 11_HARLEY_11 View Post
                OK thanks guys. I must have read it wrong.

Oh well if they're the rules then I shouldn't be given any special treatment for being a dumba$$ and not reading properly. It's not fair on the guys who did enter the CD version.
                Now if TWI did read this thread and Harley's statement, I would've thought they are smart and EITHER let Harley's map not enter the phase 1 of the contest and make it become a strong contender for phase 2. OR, let it enter phase 1 and change the rules of it (no CD support required), but then not let it win.

I totally understand the frustration of Drecks and also Six_Ten. I totally cannot understand TWI on this yet again. Right now, the results of phase 1 don't look like a contest, but rather a giveaway to the community. Like: "If the crowd wants to hear Bridges win, well then Bridges wins".
                That's a cheap shot in my eyes. Cheap on gathering player support. And a stupid mistake to the modding community. I know that if I was Drecks, I would right away abandon the game and sink any map project I am currently working on. I would simply feel betrayed.

The changes of the rules of the mapping contest had to happen though in TWI's eyes, because otherwise there were what, 3-4 maps fullfilling all conditions? According to the initial rules, I could have gained a position in the money spot for submitting a RO1 remake with 2 objectives, poor graphic and gameplay that supports countdown. Not because it was good, but because it fullfilled the requirements and was lacking valid submissions.

Finally:

11_HARLEY_11, congratulations for winning. Your map is outstanding. Please don't assume that I am not loving and appreciating your work. It's just frustrating to see that no matter what happens to this game, it's always going wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Six_Ten
                  Nobody I've spoken with relied on that to win. Don't accuse anyone of that. We read the rules carefully, made sure our entries complied, and entered our best efforts. The deadline wasn't in July, it was the middle of August.
                  My apologies--that was very, very, very poorly stated on my part. The idea I meant to convey is that the ultimate criteria important for the spirit of the contest is quality, not compliance.

I have no mapping experience and can't even begin to judge which map should be first, second, etc... but at least as far as deciding between which maps should and shouldn't be eligible for a competition, I believe that the spirit of the contest should come first.

I am a college athlete, a fencer. There is a US fencing association rule that at independent competitions where you compete as an individual, you can't have any school-related logos on your equipment. In practice, this rule is un-enforced, because not all of us students have personal equipment and some of us are issued school equipment and can't compete in anything else. In theory, however, a referee could walk up to us before, during, or after the competition and forbid us from participating. However, the logo has zero effect from an ethical standpoint, or on how good of a fencer an athlete is.

Didn't mean to sound accusatory at all. Sorry!
                  Last edited by Nikita; 10-31-2012, 10:00 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Classic forever.

Comment

Congrats to all the winners. I havnt had a chance to play all the maps, but hopefully this will change soon. As for Bridges, it deserves its victory. As fine a map as I have seen, granted I have the time to play it to its conclusion.

Comment

WOW!! Thanks so much TripWire!

I must admit reading the first post I was like this!!

then I was like....

then it was more like....

and more of this.....

Thanks to TWI for holding this comp and to the community for generating more maps to play. I imagine it wasn't easy to judge when there's a diverse range of maps with different strengths to take into account.

Thanks for all the supportive comments and congratulations to all the mappers in both categories!

Obviously this is really awkward for me, reading a couple of people's reactions.
                      I'd like to make it clear that I didn't deliberately leave off CD, I honestly thought it wasn't needed for phase 1, I thought it was part of the different requirements for phase 2. It wasn't until well after submitting the map for the competition that I realised it was required.

Even though I'm very grateful to TWI for including me in the contest, I understand why Drecks would feel frustrated about the rules being changed regarding CD so late in the game. I'm open to any resolutions that the community and TWI come up with, if it gets down to that.

The main thing for me is that the map was what I'd hoped it would be. Enjoyed.

Thanks again TWI, and thanks everyone for playing and supporting my map.
                      Last edited by 11_HARLEY_11; 11-01-2012, 02:44 AM.
                      Custom Map - [URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=82210"]Bridges of Druzhina[/URL]

Comment

Hey guys, congrats to all the winner that worked hard in that damn editor
                        I wish I could still find time to map but you gotta have priorities in life!

Comment

Originally posted by 11_HARLEY_11 View Post
                          WOW!! Thanks so much TripWire!

I must admit reading the first post I was like this!!

And so you ought to remain! Congratulations.
                          NEMO ME IMPVNE LACESSIT

Comment

Congrats to all entries, original and remake. You are all contributing to the ongoing improvement and enjoyment of this game. Even maps that didn't make it onto the podium, pat yourselves on the back. It is because of the hard work of you and your kind that we now have so many fantastic maps, mods and mutators, and so many more to look forward to.

Kudos to TWI for supporting the community and giving that extra incentive. I don't know of many devs that go to the lengths you have gone to encourage custom content. You have given us a brilliant game which is simply getting better and better with your ongoing support.

On another note, this:

Originally posted by Sensemann View Post
                            http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...60#post1123660

Page 9 is the interesting part.

Don't know what to say really. Now the 2 most supported and liked custom maps until the deadline were Coldsteel and Bridges. Deadline passed and Bridges did not support CD.

Now if TWI did read this thread and Harley's statement, I would've thought they are smart and EITHER let Harley's map not enter the phase 1 of the contest and make it become a strong contender for phase 2. OR, let it enter phase 1 and change the rules of it (no CD support required), but then not let it win.

I totally understand the frustration of Drecks and also Six_Ten. I totally cannot understand TWI on this yet again. Right now, the results of phase 1 don't look like a contest, but rather a giveaway to the community. Like: "If the crowd wants to hear Bridges win, well then Bridges wins".
                            That's a cheap shot in my eyes. Cheap on gathering player support. And a stupid mistake to the modding community. I know that if I was Drecks, I would right away abandon the game and sink any map project I am currently working on. I would simply feel betrayed.

The changes of the rules of the mapping contest had to happen though in TWI's eyes, because otherwise there were what, 3-4 maps fullfilling all conditions? According to the initial rules, I could have gained a position in the money spot for submitting a RO1 remake with 2 objectives, poor graphic and gameplay that supports countdown. Not because it was good, but because it fullfilled the requirements and was lacking valid submissions.

Finally:

11_HARLEY_11, congratulations for winning. Your map is outstanding. Please don't assume that I am not loving and appreciating your work. It's just frustrating to see that no matter what happens to this game, it's always going wrong.
                            I personally love all the entries on the podium and I am most certainly not out to get anyone, but I think that changing the rules after the submission date is pretty dodgy. Rules, despite the cliche, are not made to be broken - by competitors or organisers.

We Aussies have a notion of giving everyone a 'fair go'. That is to say, that everyone should be given an equal opportunity, that there should be a level playing ground, and that fairness should prevail. In my humble opinion, changing a ruleset post-submission does not comply with this notion. TWI, it's your competition and your money to give away, but I'm going to be a bit of a Jiminy Cricket and say, 'Not really fair.'

Comment

After a few hours sleep I can't really say it changed my point of view. And reading this quote

Originally posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger View Post
                              All I can say to the guys upset about how long the judging took is that we'll work hard to do better for the next phase.
                              gave my earlier post more value.
                              Originally posted by Drecks View Post

I understand your post about TWI didn't have to do anything.
                              No contest no prices nothing at all. But they did and when you do, do it good. Not announce a contest full of rules and criteria and then far beyond the deathline change the rules to how it suits best and forget other criteria.
                              When you do it do it good. To mappers this is serious and they will try all to make a good looking level. Polish it and check all other criteria written.
                              So when I submitt a map for a contest I will try to make everything in the map work like and polish as in stock maps. These criteria are mentioned in the contest rules.

And so I did. As I see it now and we forget the Countdown rule. I can't see where I have to polish and tweak Coldsteel some more when it has all required RO HOS features, good performance and full of detail and did not make it to a map which did not have full working spawnprotection, no map zone textures, and needed more polishing and detail afterall.

Only to add these mapzone textures and tweak them was a pain in the butt
                              To get rid ot that Spawnprotection Red screen thing was the same. You can get rid of it by remove your spawnprotection but is that the solution ? So i seeked another solution for it and it worked out fine.

Originally posted by [TW]Ramm-Jaeger View Post
                              So it is my hope that those that wish they had done better take a deep breath, cool down, listen to the feedback we'll be giving them tomorrow, and give it all they've got for phase 2.
                              I really hoped this Phase 1 contest was done better. But as you mentioned above. You guys "will work hard to do better for the next phase" Tells me enough. I already have taken multiple deepbreaths. Not only during the contest. But as I explained above when judged like its judged now I don't see any reason to give more of what I got for phase 2.

I tried to deliver a map as closed as finished as possible with all available gametypes. It turned out it wasn't enough.
                              As it seems criterias have some flexability I don't see where to give more. For now I have said all I wanted to say.
                              Last edited by Drecks; 11-01-2012, 04:50 AM. Reason: I was not done yet.

Comment

Hi,

Congrats to all the people who have made it.
                                Thank for custom maps
                                [url]http://www.redorchestra2.fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=6[/url]

[url]http://www.redorchestra2.fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=16[/url]

Comment

Working...
                                X