• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alan Wilson talks Killing Floor, Red Orchestra and Rising Storm

It was early in the morning (our time), I'm a Brit and he's Australian - yes, I was being facetious. He was actually supposed to edit it a bit (I was rambling badly, as you may have noticed) but decided to post the whole thing as recorded.

And I didn't say I don't like RO2 (at least, not that I remember). I think I said I prefer RO2 the way it is, to the classic that some members of the community want (and are getting). Personal preference - I've played RO since 2003 and I like the current incarnation!

As these forums prove, we can't all like the exact same thing :)
Exactly. I've been a fan of RO ever since the first version for UT2003 came out.

I didn't buy the retail version because I was playing other online shooters at the time (mostly DOD:S) and had limited time to spend on games. I later regretted that decision but decided to wait for RO2.

I think everything you have improved in RO2 is for the better and I can't understand people saying that you wanted to aim for the COD crowd, because that's totally not the case. They are two totally different games.

But I can understand that people wanted it to be more like the first RO. I wanted Day of Defeat:Source to be more like the original DoD.

Anyway, interesting interview.

Upvote 0
To me that map highlights the issues with long range shooting in RO2. Too much zoom, not enough difficulty in the shots and it all ends up creating an atmosphere were people don't want to move forward.

People not wanting to move forward under fire in an open area sounds pretty realistic to me. That's one of the things FF does rather well - it's one of the few maps where suppression actually works.

It's the job of team and squad leaders to overcome the challenge and get their team moving, while creating ways for them to do so safely (artillery, smoke, covering MG fire plus good target indications so the MGs can engage targets too far out to see clearly).

Great map.

Upvote 0
You could do that, or you could sit and snipe somewhere like everyone else. In RO1 you could often feel like saying "good job", "nice shot" to someone when you died. It didn't feel cheap like in RO2. I also felt like I genuinely wanted to win in RO1 and would do whatever was necessary to achieve the end goal. I don't like the way it sometimes feels like a draw in RO2 no matter what happens. I just have a sense of not caring which side wins a lot of the time. Maybe its a lacp of immersion or team cohesiveness, Its hard to place exactly where the feeling comes from. Maybe its just that I don't really feel engaged by it all overall

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting interview.
At times I'm not sure if Alan was talking about the same game, RO2, which I've been playing though.
He talks about all the praise the game gets on the forum and how successful the launch was. I remember trying to play the game at launch. I say 'trying' because it was basically unplayable. 6 months later its still not ready.

There seems to be more people on this forum complaining about the game than there are players in the servers actually playing it, so I'm not sure the game is as successful as you'd like to make out.

Upvote 0
Interesting interview.
At times I'm not sure if Alan was talking about the same game, RO2, which I've been playing though.
He talks about all the praise the game gets on the forum and how successful the launch was. I remember trying to play the game at launch. I say 'trying' because it was basically unplayable. 6 months later its still not ready.

There seems to be more people on this forum complaining about the game than there are players in the servers actually playing it, so I'm not sure the game is as successful as you'd like to make out.

Well yeah but hes not going to say that most players hate the game in an interview ! Its common sense ( to these people )

Upvote 0