• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Alan Wilson talks Killing Floor, Red Orchestra and Rising Storm

It was early in the morning (our time), I'm a Brit and he's Australian - yes, I was being facetious. He was actually supposed to edit it a bit (I was rambling badly, as you may have noticed) but decided to post the whole thing as recorded.

And I didn't say I don't like RO2 (at least, not that I remember). I think I said I prefer RO2 the way it is, to the classic that some members of the community want (and are getting). Personal preference - I've played RO since 2003 and I like the current incarnation!

As these forums prove, we can't all like the exact same thing :)

Sorry, should have clarified.

What I meant was that the "hardcore" fans that are clamoring for classic mode you mentioned don't want RO1 with updated graphics. RO1 had plenty of undesirable features that I do not want to see in classic mode, and RO2 has plenty of desirable features that should be kept.

The problem I have with the current build of RO2 is that it simply isn't fun or engaging.

Upvote 0
Good interview, and Wilsonam talks a lot of sense there really. Worth a listen.

But its a shame he doesn't really quite see where critics are coming from with RO2. People want RO to move forward, but they simply don't like the way some things are implemented in RO2. Its not that everything has to be moved back to RO1, in fact from my perspective people weren't really talking about a classic mode before Yoshiro mentioned it.
Spot on. If RO2's new systems had been (from my perspective) implemented better, no-one would have asked for their removal. In fact most of us (me included) never asked for their removal - just that they be tweaked so that they were more fun and less immersion-breaking or annoying.

There should never have been a need for 'RO1 with better graphics' - simply an RO2 with the 'what the *@#$' moments removed would have been excellent.

Upvote 0
Excellent interview.

Alan, I personally appreciate your (and TWI's) stance on the community. I've had quite a few experiences with games where it seemed the dev/pub took the stance of "Here's your game. Keep your feedback to yourself. The next DLC will be $15."

And if the REPETATIVE naggers, moaners and groaners don't calm down here, we are very likely to see that or something like that occur here.

Negative Nancies;
For every positive thread...... there always has to be those who piss on the parade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And for every sensible post with a good argument, there is a meaningless Mike Nomad post getting mad at it. It usually consists of sentences similiar to "What a bunch of whining pussies", "Negative assholes", "Take the current gameplay like a man you useless bunch" or a combination of them in a bid to showcase his Duke Nukem'liness.

He has yet to be seen contributing positively to the discussion. All we know is, he's called the ignore list man, Mike Nomad.

Reactions: Mikeedude
Upvote 0
And for every sensible post with a good argument, there is a meaningless Mike Nomad post getting mad at it. It usually consists of sentences similiar to "What a bunch of whining pussies", "Negative assholes", "Take the current gameplay like a man you useless bunch" or a combination of them in a bid to showcase his Duke Nukem'liness.

I'd like to see where those EXACT expressions were EVER posted by me... while they are descriptively true... they were never said by me.

He has yet to be seen contributing positively to the discussion. All we know is, he's called the ignore list man, Mike Nomad.
Sport..... you simply talk BS!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope he was joking about the "wanting RO1 with better graphics" bits, if he wasn't then there's a pretty big disconnect between the devs and the community.

I don't think anyone wants RO1 with better graphics, I certainly don't. What I want is to enjoy RO2.

I think Wilson is right. Do you want enjoy RO2?Well, I have a solution. Play without rant that the game is not like Ostfront. Or wait to have Ostfront with better graphic.

Upvote 0
Nice interview Alan. Its always good to hear what is going on and congrats with the Killing Floor numbers. Nice update on what's going on with Rising Storm as well.

The one thing I will really take issue with is that Alan says that the RO Vets (for the most part) wanted RO2 to be RO1 with better graphics (starting around 8:15). Ugh Alan, most of everything I have read with a few exceptions is that the RO1 Vets wanted an improved RO2 with (most of) the new features that you put in the game, just with more of an RO1 gameplay feel. I actually like the zoom!!!! :p Anyways, most of us wanted the game to move forward too :)

In any case, I'm glad that TWI is working on the Classic Mode although I would personally have preferred an improved Realism mode myself.

Upvote 0
I guess that's part of the problem when you have a few people being very vocal on the forums shouting things like "BIONIC ZOOM" and "IN RO1 EVERYTHING WAS MILK AND HONEY", it quickly can leave a skewed impression. I however never really got the impression that the majority want RO1 with better graphics either, at all. Actually when someone claimed that of RO1 vets, the answer was pretty much always "we don't want RO1 with better graphics, we want RO2 tweaked for slower gameplay etc". I was surprised that the name of the new mode was RO classsic and not realism, coz that's what people seemed to want. You can have differing opinions on whats right and wrong, but I never got that impression of peoples stance on the matter.

Anyways, thanks for the interview and acknowledging the community, keep up the good work :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I have thought of starting a thread noting the changes I DON'T want TWI to make for the RO-Classic Mode because I do like them, such as the zoom :D

As I look at the current proposed changes, it seems I would be happiest with something between the Realism Mode and Classic Mode.

I just want to say For Shame! on those few players who only wanted a stagnated RO1 game with improved graphics.

Upvote 0
I think psychologically its easier for them to attribute issues to an un wavering community that simply won't accept any changes. That way they didn't really go wrong with RO2, its the playerbase that won't adapt to it. Blame is shifted from themselves to the playerbase

It was always the Mike Nomads of the forum that misrepresented what people are asking for with RO2. It was always realism, tactical feel, immersion, "gameyness" that people talked about, not that it had to be exactly like RO1. You would compare to RO1 simply because that game did the whole tactical WW2 FPS very solidly and we can all use that as a base for comparison. I personally think RO1 did do a bunch of things better than RO2, but RO2 does some things better too

Reactions: borsdy
Upvote 0
This community have lost every right when voted Fallenfighters as worst map of the game.

This is the first point.

If people ask for more sway, even is unrealistic. If people ask for no zoom, even if this means pixel hunting; if people ask for slower movement, even if this means a more boring gameplay.

Well, they want Ostfront with better graphic and new map. So, why dev can't say what they think?This is my opinion, too.

It's good to have a good relationship with community, but people should expect not only blowjob from devs.

The best solution for me is to cancel relaxed and future classic mode, keep REALISM with REFINEMENTS, rebalance stats(reduce 20 per cent for suppression or for every stat is TOO MUCH), and here we go...

Best game in the market. People in this moment play relax mode because don't find place in other server, not for a choice.

Upvote 0
I think psychologically its easier for them to attribute issues to an un wavering community that simply won't accept any changes. That way they didn't really go wrong with RO2, its the playerbase that won't adapt to it. Blame is shifted from themselves to the playerbase

It was always the Mike Nomads of the forum that misrepresented what people are asking for with RO2. It was always realism, tactical feel, immersion, "gameyness" that people talked about, not that it had to be exactly like RO1. You would compare to RO1 simply because that game did the whole tactical WW2 FPS very solidly and we can all use that as a base for comparison. I personally think RO1 did do a bunch of things better than RO2, but RO2 does some things better too

Thanks for the publicity..... ;)

Alan's interview was highly informative and honest. Get used to the idea. The negative cheap shots are just that "cheap" and without basis in fact..

Ya know, when people run out of facts, they resort to personal attacks. Truth is, the the facts are known and the resulting reactions entirely predictable. Rave on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arma 2: OA / Red Orchestra 2: weapon sway and breath control - YouTube

In this forum Arma 2 is always called the "tactical shooter", what Ro2 isn't for people that love only to rant.

Well, in this video there is a CLEAR comparison between Arma2 e Red Orchestra2. Same weapon.

In Arma2, THE REALISTIC TACTICAL SHOOTER, there is double zoom. Ooooooh, just like Red Orchestra2. Sway is not depend from breathing. Sway is less than Red Orchestra2, THE IMPURE tactical shooter.

Thank you Tripwire to go in your direction.

Reactions: TravisT
Upvote 0
Fallen Fighters gameplay is kinda stagnant. People end up playing it like a sniping map, it just doesn't work well with RO2 game mechanics imo

This is false. It's important to keep C, it's important that squad leader smoke and mark for artillery. It's important that assault cover tunnels. It's a "strategic map".

What rant people like you ask to this game. But you hate this map, mmmm...

Upvote 0