• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What We are up to - Refinements Part 3

Also glad to hear about the spawn on Squad Leader being redone.
Yeah, and there's been quite the wealth of interesting suggestions on how to make this more engaging. I'm a fan of the ideas that revolve around the notion of letting the SL open up a temporary spawn point for his Squad either wherever the SL chooses or by moving up to one of many pre-defined temporary spawn points, and removing all factors that prevent the SL from contributing his own firepower, i.e., the enemy LOS thing.

Will be interesting to see what TWI come up with. Hopefully, if it works then it can then be reintroduced into the Classic mode.

Upvote 0
Great stuff!

Could you consider turning up the volume on the supersonic cracks though? I don't know if it's a bug or not, but they are so damn quiet right now.

This is what it sounds like to be the receiving end of a rifle bullet:

[url]http://youtu.be/JwZPJgkF6G8?t=12m10s[/URL]

I agree!
The volume of the bullets passing by is way to low in game. I once interviewed an old lady about her experiences during wwII and she mentioned the bullet whizzes and cracks. In RO2 one can just ignore them.

Thanks for the updates, looking forward to the patch!

Upvote 0
This game would greatly benefit if squads worked. We need to force people to work together and make it like Ostfront where Ramboes die a horrible death.

Define rambo. When I got into "the zone" in Ro1, I could run through a map and survive every encounter just by being faster and more accurate and move from cover to cover better, which is how it should be when you are. Not everyone in ostfront always worked together on pubs either. Please stay factual.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
In RO:Ost there was certainly an incentive to work in squads as usually acquiring the objectives in RO1 was pretty demandable and the more tactical gameplay that was in RO1 called for some teamwork, and people often tried to do that, however most of the times any attempt to stick together would be unsuccessful beacuse there was just no ability for the players to interact with each other within a straight forward, sophisticated command system where every order, request or spotting would be easy to read/notice. The only way was to use the voip or type which was very unclear and unknown where that person and to whom is he talking to.
There was just no communication from person to person.
You could only give some tips on the mic to the entire team but no interaction between soldiers in a close up combat whatsoever. Hopefuly TWI will think of something good.

For tanks I hope we'll have realistic number of penetrations that it took in real life to knock out a tank. Currently the system allows the crew to sustain the damages and carry on even up to 8 penetrations while in real the crew would start to bail out often after just first hit to the tank.
Also there's been a big demand from people to have an option to aim using WASD.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Define rambo. When I got into "the zone" in Ro1, I could run through a map and survive every encounter just by being faster and more accurate and move from cover to cover better, which is how it should be when you are. Not everyone in ostfront always worked together on pubs either. Please stay factual.

many times this. I remember many games of ro1 being won by the one guy attacking from a flank (and sometimes the front) gunning everyone down and no one could stop them :(

Upvote 0
peripheral vision still only shows enemies? not really a fix then...

its too easy to rambo in this game (even with a bolt) because of stuff like double zoom and peripheral vision. at least in ost, you had to play tactically to rambo (as in, flank and get a good spot before you get a ton of kills)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yoshiro -- thanks for the updated information.

One big question: Are you guys making it so that all players (friendlies and enemies) give off peripheral vision indicators? Right now, from what I've seen in RO2, only enemies create the indicators which makes them especially cheap for immediately finding enemies outside of your view. I tested this as recently as a couple weeks ago and noticed that friendlies did not create indicators.

Obviously they should ... the whole point of the indicator is to show movement, not to show enemies. Will this be fixed? RO Classic won't have indicators, but I'm still curious about this. If this isn't fixed, then the peripheral vision indicator system is still massively broken, because then it will only serve the purpose of allowing players to magically find enemies they can't see (ie, a developer-provided hack).

I'm also assuming all of these spotting marks will only appear in the tactical view ... I'd find it highly non-RO-like if there were HuD elements all over the screen like BF3. As much as I like that game, I always find myself saying HOLY HUD BATMAN when I play it.

Upvote 0
Non of this helps me at all.

My problem is that for the 1st round i play a game, it runs perfect, i have smooth 40-60 consistent gameplay, but the next map load causes my fps to just plummet, where i used to get 40-60 i will then get choppy low fps (20-30) right after, even if the game loads the same map, playing on all low, all high all default, different configs different resolutions, nothing changes the fps and the plummet of fps afterwards, and my gpu never receives more than 50% work throughout a match, no matter how hard to push the gpu in terms of graphics quality.

Im sick of having to quit the game all together right after a match ends just to get playable fps again when a new game starts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Non of this helps me at all.

My problem is that for the 1st round i play a game, it runs perfect, i have smooth 40-60 consistent gameplay, but the next map load causes my fps to just plummet, where i used to get 40-60 i will then get choppy low fps (20-30) right after, even if the game loads the same map, playing on all low, all high all default, different configs different resolutions, nothing changes the fps and the plummet of fps afterwards, and my gpu never receives more than 50% work throughout a match, no matter how hard to push the gpu in terms of graphics quality.

Im sick of having to quit the game all together right after a match ends just to get playable fps again when a new game starts.

Wrong thread. This is a thread about the gameplay mechanics "refinements". Optimization and bugfixes are another topic entirely.

Upvote 0
As a repeat reminder to the devs, plz do focus on making the SL spawn work more frequently, and 100% predictable so you never spawn where you did not ask to spawn.

Making SL spawn a properly working feature in my opinion will improve teamplay much much more than any other feature. If you devs do this you will turn a reasonably good game with interesting features into an awesome game with a long future ahead.

cheers *crosses fingers*
x x x

Edit:
I have only seen one game where the squad system and team work actually worked and that's Project Reality for Battlefield 2. TWI should take a good look at PR and learn (steal) form it.

True. I also come from this game, known as [TG] BigGaayAl there. It is so good that it is worth stealing from guys! Realistic team-based shooters have evolved since RO1 was made, Project Reality is the best evolution there has been in the last years, at least until RO2 came....;).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I suggest a 2 tiered peripheral indicator. Right now, they indicate for objects just outside your, monitor view when zoomed in (IS), to objects truly in the periphery.

If the object is visible in normal unzoomed FOV, you can clearly diserne if it's a friend or foe. So when zoomed in, that information should carry over either by coloring the indicators, or not having it for friendlies.

If the movement is truly in your periphery, there should be no friend or foe indication.

Either way, they shouldn't work through smoke or heavy cover.

Upvote 0
I suggest a 2 tiered peripheral indicator. Right now, they indicate for objects just outside your, monitor view when zoomed in (IS), to objects truly in the periphery.

If the object is visible in normal unzoomed FOV, you can clearly diserne if it's a friend or foe. So when zoomed in, that information should carry over either by coloring the indicators, or not having it for friendlies.

If the movement is truly in your periphery, there should be no friend or foe indication.

Either way, they shouldn't work through smoke or heavy cover.

We should not have indicator at all. Just a good sound to know what is going around. So lets have a good in game sound, people.

Reactions: Nikita
Upvote 0
I really hope that being able to view Squad leaders, and fire team members in tactical view is enabled in classic. Classic should be about having authentic battles with realistic firefight engagement times. Part of adding to that authenticity is being able to know where your most crucial team mates are.

I mean, in this game we don't have the luxury of being able to identify individual players based off of appearance, voice, general time spent together like real soldiers. So I feel that bringing up the tactical view to spot them in classic really will add more to that game mode.

Upvote 0